• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Disappointed that the NC Does not Fit Me

pahondafan

Reaction score
Visit site
I want to move up to something with more power and since I already have an auto trans. I thought the NC was the ideal bike. I have been browsing here for a few months and everyone seems pretty happy with their purchase. I still need to save up some more money but I went to the dealer today just to touch the machinery. Well, I knew the NC was tall but I could not touch the floor at all. I am 5'5" with a 28" inseam. The salesman had to hold the bike just to get it vertical. When I put my foot down the bike leaned at least 15 degrees. I don't think I could support that for long at a light. I have seen some aftermarket mods here that people have done but it's frustrating that I can't get a factory lowered bike. If I forgo the automatic for just a grand more I can get a factory lowered bike in the form of the F700GS. Is that what Honda was going for?

It seems that I am just the customer that the NC Auto was designed for, transitioning from a scooter to a bike but to do it I have to do a mod that may or may not affect the handling and is not factory tested. Seems a little frustrating to me.

Lucky! If I was you I'd get the F700GS. I'm way happy with my NC700x. It fits me great and I think it's the right bike for me for now. It's almost too practical though and the truth is I really lust over those sexy BMWs. If I was only a little shorter I could justify the extra expense and hassles!

I am 5'7 with 30" inseam. Any shorter, I wouldn't have bought the NCX. I did check out the G650GS when I was shopping around. I believe it does have a factory installed low seat height option that lower seat down to just barely over 30 inches. It comes with a lower rear linkage to drop the suspension. Your local BMW might even have MSF trade-in that already comes with the low seat height.

I don't know how things are in the US but in the UK there have been a number of complaints about BMW reliability. One of our magazines had a BMW on long term test which not only had to go back to BMW UK twice to have faults corrected but actually had bits fall off it

My inseam is just a little longer than yours - about 29". I can't put a foot flat on the ground either just the toes. I have just learned techniques to deal with it and don't let it stop me from riding taller bikes. For instance you can slide a little off to one side of the seat if you have to put a foot flat on the ground or push off the centerstand. Where does it say you have to use two feet flat for this? The NC has a snake's belly low center of gravity making it easier than most bikes to push it up off the side stand and maneuver at slow speeds. If you are light in weight the preload for the rear shock can be backed off a little allowing the bike to settle a little bit lower on the rear suspension lowering leg reach perhaps 3/8 or 1/2" but I really think it is less of a problem than it first appears. I have been riding bigger heavier bikes than the NC and I know a guy shorter than I that rides a BMW 1200GS Adventure that is like 4" higher than an NC. Tippee toes is a moment, riding is for hours. Look into the lowering kits if need be.

"Just a grand more" is just the beginning at the other place.

That lowering kit that Freak linked to is awesome! It lowers the bike just over 1.5 inches.
One thing about the DCT is that you really don't need both feet on the ground. There's no shift lever
to contend with downshifting as you come to a stop, so your left foot would be ready to get down in position early.
Treat it like a bicycle... no one puts both feet down when coming to a stop on a bicycle!

I am 5',7'' and 30'' inseam. I went with the 40mm lowering links. Before I installed them I could just tip toe the bike, or lean it on just 1 leg and flat foot. I like flat footing a bike, I knew buying the NC I would be lowering it. Lowered, the bike fits great, can flat foot both feet.

I will say though, a 30'' inseam and lowered NC is about the minimum height the bike will support. If I was any shorter, I would have to look elsewhere for a motorcycle. I too was looking at the BMW's but their shotty reliability quickly turned me away.

Honda Shadow - 26'' seat height! I just couldn't deal with that bike for the purposes I bought the NC for. Touring, commuting, weekend warrior, city riding.

I weigh in. Literally I mean, since I am 180 lbs. I am also 5'7" and 29 or maybe less inseam. Sitting on the bike with my riding boots (Redbacks) both feet are flat on the ground.

MSF teaches that you should always be in first gear when you come to a stop. At least they did in my day...

I used to ride a DR that was at least 4 inches taller. I had to stand on the footpeg to get on.

Just some observations, hope they help. ed

Look at a CB

Have you considered the Honda CB500F the seat starts out at 30.9 and I think will be a great value with resale. Depending on your weight the sag or suspension will take up some of the distance to the ground.

There are three IMS shows going on around you this month, if you could make one of those your head will spin with choices. International Motorcycle Shows |
BigE

Last edited:
"Just a grand more" is just the beginning at the other place.

Yes, I know, I'd need a second mortgage just to buy the optional centerstand. Actually I was just making a point, I don't think the Beemer would be my second choice. After all, I'd have to get new friends, wear different clothes, move to the suburbs etc.

I just think that offering options that include rather than exclude buyers is smart marketing. Maybe that is in store for 2013.

As to your point about the short rider techniques, yes, it's possible to make it work but I don't want to go that route. We experimented a little with that at the dealer, he held the bike vertical and then let it lean while I caught it and since the bike is dropping so far from vertical, (think 12:00 to 10:00) by the time my leg is supporting it there is too much effort for me to stop it from going over. Since I have some time before I am ready to buy, I can wait to see what the 2013 model choices are. I've seen lots of talk online about the height issue in forums and reviews so maybe Honda is listening.

Soupy's Performance sells an adjustable link that will lower your bike 0-4". My husband installed mine in 20 minutes.
He lowered the bike 1.5". I am 5'1". I can fully flat foot the bike now.
And my husband owns a BMW and I didn't have to get new friends, a new wardrobe or move to the 'burbs.
It doesn't matter what you ride. Just as long as you RIDE. We ride with ANYONE!

Question on the lowering links (like Soupy's): if I lowered my bike, say about 1", what needs to happen to the front to keep the geometry the same? Or, will I not notice any difference in handling?

Have you considered the Honda CB500F the seat starts out at 30.9 and I think will be a great value with resale. Depending on your weight the sag or suspension will take up some of the distance to the ground.

Yes, I am considernig this as a backup plan. Unfortunately the dealer did not have any to look at. Of course then I would have to learn how to shift. I got my motorcycle license on a scooter. I enjoy not having to shift, especially with the plethora of stop signs around here.

Question on the lowering links (like Soupy's): if I lowered my bike, say about 1", what needs to happen to the front to keep the geometry the same? Or, will I not notice any difference in handling?

The front was lowered 1.5", as well.
This was done at the triple clamps.
Easily done.

Back