• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Dirt Roads

Does anyone ride an NC700X on dirt roads?

The road I live on turns to dirt about a half mile from my driveway and my driveway is 3/4 miles of gravel, so I get about three miles of dirt every time I leave on it. We also have a number of dirt roads in the county that I routinely ride and I have done some Forest Service roads on it in north Georgia. What would you like to know? I have found that it will "do it". The tires aren't the best for it. The suspension is budget quality and the first inch or two is not too supple with any speed on. Big gravel and rocks will rattle your teeth. There is no bash protection to the underside so you have to watch that you don't drag the sump or beat a hole in the converter. It could stand some improvements if you are going to do a lot of it, but for incidental contact with dirt roads it is fine.

Last edited:
I just went down about 40 miles of gravel/dirt roads on the 21st. These were very rough with some steep hills. With the suspension they way it is I had to slow down
a bunch.
I have scraped the underside four times so far, and if the aftermarket doesn't make a skid plate I will have to make my own.
For me the journey begins when the pavement ends.

An update on this: Motorcycle Consumer News give very favorable reviews of the NC700X in their December edition. They specifically mentioned the handling on loose dirt and said they'd tried the bike on routes usually reserved for dual-sports.

I have done a few dirt roads on it , she does not have the suspension for really tough stuff, but I would feel better with a D/S tire on it.

The rough, wash-boarded, torn-up 'road' a little ways from my house is certainly passable on the NCX as it sits. It's much, much nicer than the CBR (I turned around on that bike after a matter of yards), and I don't feel like it's going to wash out from under me. Square-edged bumps and holes are harsh, but I can't say I expected much different. It's not as good as a well-prepped hare scrambles bike, but the ride across that road is certainly better than in my Subaru.

I bet Beemerphile's Race Tech and Ohlins setup is pretty nice!

The rough, wash-boarded, torn-up 'road' a little ways from my house is certainly passable on the NCX as it sits. It's much, much nicer than the CBR (I turned around on that bike after a matter of yards), and I don't feel like it's going to wash out from under me. Square-edged bumps and holes are harsh, but I can't say I expected much different. It's not as good as a well-prepped hare scrambles bike, but the ride across that road is certainly better than in my Subaru.

I bet Beemerphile's Race Tech and Ohlins setup is pretty nice!

It is. The problem with the stock front is the lack of a high speed compression damping circuit. I guess they try to make it compliant with weak springs. It ends up being exactly wrong - harsh on small fast bumps (esp. square edged) and it still bottoms easily. The before and after with RaceTech on bad roads is astonishing. I also turned around and came out on a rutted unpaved road when the bike was stock. It was worse than my Yamaha TMax scooter.

Any bike can do, I see no big deal with the type of bike being used on which ground. However, for dirt roads I would recommend dirt bikes since their mufflers are actually dirt exhausts which are seemingly fit and suited for dirt roads..

Some people may not agree with me, but set up correctly for off road use the nc is very capable of holding its own on dirt roads. two tract, and some single track roads or trails. there are always strong and weak points in anything, but do not under estimate this bike .. look at the pic of my bike for off road use. this is not a dirt bike, and i am not taking it the same places that i take my crf450x, but i can ride the nc to Texas and be comfortable in doing it. dale

Sadly the tires which came with the bike, sucks on dirt roads.
To properly travel on dirt roads, you need dirt tires or dualpurpose tires.

The clearance seems high enough for moderate riding in the dirt-roads but not trails (jumps and so forth).
Lets not kid ourselves, this is NOT a dirt bike nor a real dualpurpose bike although she was styled like one.
It is a 90% road bike with 10% contingency to get to that isolated hut in the middle of a forest.
:D

PS: Any bike can go on dirt, it is just how slow it goes or how many false-teeth of yours truly drop out when you do that.
Luckily I have all my real teeth intact.

I will give a full report on the dirt/gravel/mud road ability of the NCX ( and my wifes GS500 ) in mid July.
By that time we should be home from our Seattle to Deadhorse and back trip ( 6,000 + miles).
I figure to put atleast 1,500-2,000 miles of dirt under the wheels on that trip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have said it before, and I will say it again. The NC is NOT a dirt bike by any stretch of the imagination. Standard dirt wheels are 21 and 18 inchers, not 17 inchers as are on the NC. Keep in mind that the NC shares its wheels with the Scooter version ! Ground clearance is nowhere near sufficient. I have already put a flat in the exhaust pipe under the engine. I managed to get it out but if I had'nt, a new pipe with cat incorporated costs around 5/600 USD ? My Dealer severely castigated me for taking it offroad, and I had no argument. Putting on a bashplate will only serve to decrease the ground clearance. Even with the rear spring preload raised two full turns there is still not sufficient ground clearance for offroading in the proper sense. Furthermore the suspension as standard is too harsh.

This bike will handle graded dirt roads just the same as any other road bike will . As long as that is taken into account, then there should not be any problems with it.

This bike will handle graded dirt roads just the same as any other road bike will . As long as that is taken into account, then there should not be any problems with it.

It is not a proper dirt bike, but properly modified, it will do much more than graded dirt roads. I would not take on single-track or tight woods with it but mine has been down several forest service "jeep trails". Of course, for someone with 2x KTM's in the stable, there would not seem to be much need of it.

Grump I agree with you on a few of your points, you meant 21 and 19 inch wheels for the off road bikes, but what shortcomings the bike has from the showroom floor are all fixable and can make the bike a great off road bike. I'm not saying your going to use it to compete or be doing doubles at the local dirt track, but the low center of gravity gives the bike huge potential that most off road bikes can't match. The bike needs a skid plate, better tires, and some suspension work, mostly the front forks.
I would love for an aftermarket company to make a 19 inch wheel for the NC, then add two inches to the front forks and presto, some serious off road potential. And the seat would no longer be sloped forward. Bonus... :)

Back