• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

DCT Sport Modes - What's the difference?

Lewis

Reaction score
Visit site
I've looked and looked, but can't find it (or I've completely missed it). Is there a thread or a tech spec chart of what differentiates each of the 3 Sport Modes?
Thanks.
2020 NC750X DCT

In all seriousness melensdad, what increases the fun level? Does the shift point change to a higher RPM as you go up the S-levels? Which Sport mode is best for normal downhill twisties riding to avoid dragging the brakes the whole time?

In all seriousness melensdad, what increases the fun level? Does the shift point change to a higher RPM as you go up the S-levels? Which Sport mode is best for normal downhill twisties riding to avoid dragging the brakes the whole time?
I did look in an owner's manual and was surprised that Honda offered little useful explanation of the 3 sport modes.

For downhill twisties, override the auto mode by shifting down as required.

In my opinion, full manual mode would be best.

So I took the bike on a ride today: San Jose to Alice's, then down 84 to Highway 1, on to Santa Cruz, and up 17 back to San Jose. S1 worked great when I wanted the bike to hold higher RPM both accelerating and decellerating, so I didn't even bother to try S2 or S3.
It would still be nice to know what I should expect if I try S2 and S3.

So I took the bike on a ride today: San Jose to Alice's, then down 84 to Highway 1, on to Santa Cruz, and up 17 back to San Jose. S1 worked great when I wanted the bike to hold higher RPM both accelerating and decellerating, so I didn't even bother to try S2 or S3.
It would still be nice to know what I should expect if I try S2 and S3.
Sorry for the lack of reply, I was driving home from Pennsylvania yesterday.

I've driven those roads as my daughter lived in San Jose while she was at Cisco, sadly never ridden those roads on the bike. You seem to have found your answer. S2 just holds the gears a bit longer than S1 but to my mind S3 is something that would be reserved for really aggressive riding when you know you have the road to yourself and lots of twisties and you really want to push the bike. I find D fine for puttering about. S1 is my choice enjoying a ride with some twists and turns and hilly terrain.

Sorry for the lack of reply, I was driving home from Pennsylvania yesterday.

I've driven those roads as my daughter lived in San Jose while she was at Cisco, sadly never ridden those roads on the bike. You seem to have found your answer. S2 just holds the gears a bit longer than S1 but to my mind S3 is something that would be reserved for really aggressive riding when you know you have the road to yourself and lots of twisties and you really want to push the bike. I find D fine for puttering about. S1 is my choice enjoying a ride with some twists and turns and hilly terrain.
Sounds like S1 it is then. Perhaps S3 on some steep descents for more engine braking?

Sounds like S1 it is then. Perhaps S3 on some steep descents for more engine braking?
If you want engine braking, can you just hit the minus (-) button and downshift? Or, use manual mode and put it in the gear you want it in.

Back