• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

DCT shift motor failure

hey guys . Just logged into ... I expereinced the same problem ... desciber the bike runing into safe mode / blinkig gear indicator and the bike beikg in N / had to stop switch off and stert again U could hear the gears beig changed bac to 1 and than the bike started . Unfortunately the last time the bike did not start at all . after seraching on local nc forums and also on global forums it was clear thet the probem was with the shifting motor. I have 70 000 KM on integra until now working spotless . probaly the clutch is being stuck so the check before initiating starting sequence is dead ... im no mechanic . And my technician told me that they can run the diagnostic only when the engine is running. so the problem might be in this
24315-HL4-000 - shifter pin might be broken / costly change of this /
and the motor is 31300-KVZ-631

all these parts are on the way here / due to covid it was quite hard to get them / f***k the 350 euro price - just want to ride again . hope the problem will be solved

cheers

hey guys . Just logged into ... I expereinced the same problem ... desciber the bike runing into safe mode / blinkig gear indicator and the bike beikg in N / had to stop switch off and stert again U could hear the gears beig changed bac to 1 and than the bike started . Unfortunately the last time the bike did not start at all . after seraching on local nc forums and also on global forums it was clear thet the probem was with the shifting motor. I have 70 000 KM on integra until now working spotless . probaly the clutch is being stuck so the check before initiating starting sequence is dead ... im no mechanic . And my technician told me that they can run the diagnostic only when the engine is running. so the problem might be in this
24315-HL4-000 - shifter pin might be broken / costly change of this /
and the motor is 31300-KVZ-631

all these parts are on the way here / due to covid it was quite hard to get them / f***k the 350 euro price - just want to ride again . hope the problem will be solved

cheers
My CTX700 DCT has similar issues-I got the extended warranty-it seems to be the ECU-managed to limp back to the dealer-7000 miles on it-waiting for the ECU with baited breath-unless I find an NC750?!

My CTX700 DCT has similar issues-I got the extended warranty-it seems to be the ECU-managed to limp back to the dealer-7000 miles on it-waiting for the ECU with baited breath-unless I find an NC750?!
Good luck. It seems most of the time I read that the diagnosis is a bad ECU, ultimately the ECU is not where the fault was. Let us know how it turns out.

Reactions: MZ5
well - the things worked out this way : day wanting to leave work after night shift the bike just did not start not even the strating sound / injektor / ... got the shifting servo motor chaned . gandalf was saved . Since the change I have been drivin communter rides 35 km/ 70km to / from work . Just once I had troble starting the engine - at the begining . seemed like the servo and the main electronic unit had to find their mutual frequence .
Guys but this feed back report is not about change . Just returned from a moto trip - an extensive test of the shifting / gear change . Went to romania / bulgaria - those who are familiar - Transalpina , Transfagarashan , troyan pass in bulgaria - over 3000 km in one week . gandalf has currently around 76 000 km on the counter - there was only one " uncoupling" of the gear in 6th position on a steep uphill to the pass - the rest was absolutely ok - the entire trip went smooth . Ingnition perfect , shifting spotless on all those crazy curved roads - wish I could share some pics - especially for u guys from overseas .
writing about it now - after 9 years of driving integra 700 im considering the new 2021 750x dct . even if I am absolutely satisfiied with the torque, power and stuff for my communting - in the hilly roads of transylvania it was not that sufficient anymore .
ok - enough of the crap
everyone thanks for the support .
last question - anyone has any information about the life span of an DCT clutch / gearbox

Electric motors generally have a somewhat limited life based on usage. For instance my power door lock motors on my 2009 Toyota Tacoma Failed. I like to fiddle with things. So, I took the motors apart and cleaned the residue left by the motor brushes. That fixed the problem and didn’t cost me any money. The dealer wanted $200 per motor just for the part. I doubt it would be that easy to fix the shift motor but I am not surprised it burned out if you do a lot of city driving or a lot of shifting in general. Even Tesla motors burn out. Electric motors are easy to replace and are considered a wear item in my opinion. Obviously this won’t happen on a bike with a manual clutch.

Reactions: IRA
Just adding my piece of anecdata : Ran into the problem of DCT not shifting after over half an hour on the road, especially on hot days. Mostly refusing to downshift, occasionally refusing to upshift.
When that happened, had to let it wait a bit, start engine while holding the brake, use the paddle to get back to neutral, and hope I could get to my destination before it did it again. Which ended up being impossible after the first few times.
Dealer didn't know what to do because of the intermittence. Charged me over 500 bucks to change the "sensors"... and I failed again 13 miles later (so much for their "10 miles" test drives). They were thinking of replacing the computer.
So I told them to change the gear switch motor (1/2h labor + part : 300 bucks), and the problem has been gone so far. Took quite a long twisty ride on Saturday to confirm.

My dct shift motor started to fail on my 2016 HONDA NC at 56.591 Kms.

The problem occured after driving twisting mountain roads and the motor got hot. I was forced to start the bike pressing the brake and drive across mountains only with 2nd gear engaged. The bike was driveable althought the gear shift motor was stucked.
After it was left to cool down for half an hour or so it worked again fine.

I took the bike to a honda dealer and after it was connected to the honda troubleshooting laptop it found the problem instantly and it was the shift motor.
It was changed at the cost of 330 euros (the spare part).

After the change of the motor everything is fine again.

The bike is used only for travelling.
I own a Honda Pcx for use in the city.

My Honda dealer informed me that he has experienced so far three more dct shift motor failures.
One at 20.000 kms, one at 32.000 Kms and one at 52.000 Kms (round numbers). Mine was the fourth.

I believe that Honda must think about these highly costing failures of the shift motor and do something otherwise the trust to the dct of the customers will be gone.

My dct shift motor started to fail on my 2016 HONDA NC at 56.591 Kms.

The problem occured after driving twisting mountain roads and the motor got hot. I was forced to start the bike pressing the brake and drive across mountains only with 2nd gear engaged. The bike was driveable althought the gear shift motor was stucked.
After it was left to cool down for half an hour or so it worked again fine.

I took the bike to a honda dealer and after it was connected to the honda troubleshooting laptop it found the problem instantly and it was the shift motor.
It was changed at the cost of 330 euros (the spare part).

After the change of the motor everything is fine again.

The bike is used only for travelling.
I own a Honda Pcx for use in the city.

My Honda dealer informed me that he has experienced so far three more dct shift motor failures.
One at 20.000 kms, one at 32.000 Kms and one at 52.000 Kms (round numbers). Mine was the fourth.

I believe that Honda must think about these highly costing failures of the shift motor and do something otherwise the trust to the dct of the customers will be gone.

Glad You got it fixed. I am wondering if this is an issue related to countries or areas with high temperatures ?

Glad You got it fixed. I am wondering if this is an issue related to countries or areas with high temperatures ?
Thank you.

I' m sure that the higher temperatures help for the problem to get worst but i don't think that this is the main reason.
For example mine was stack on the mountains where the snow on the side of the road has not melted yet and the temperature was low.

I believe that most likely like the starter motor the same happens to this shift motor and in particullary that debrise is built inside in conjuction of the coals that exist there and get worn.
Perhaps Honda should put this as a maintentance schedule item every, let's say 20-30.000 kms, providing of course and this coals (i don't know if the term is right, we call them coals here) as a spare part.

I have kept the old part and i will open it when i will find some time to see the condition inside.

Thank you.

I' m sure that the higher temperatures help for the problem to get worst but i don't think that this is the main reason.
For example mine was stack on the mountains where the snow on the side of the road has not melted yet and the temperature was low.

I believe that most likely like the starter motor the same happens to this shift motor and in particullary that debrise is built inside in conjuction of the coals that exist there and get worn.
Perhaps Honda should put this as a maintentance schedule item every, let's say 20-30.000 kms, providing of course and this coals (i don't know if the term is right, we call them coals here) as a spare part.

I have kept the old part and i will open it when i will find some time to see the condition inside.

Yes I understand what You are saying. You are referring to graphite brushes I presume. It hadn't occurred to me that they would be similar to the starter motor.

Yes I understand what You are saying. You are referring to graphite brushes I presume. It hadn't occurred to me that they would be similar to the starter motor.
Exactly, thank you!
I am referring to the graphite brushes.

A fellow rider has already made a video about opening and cleaning the DCT motor as a presentive maintentance :

PS : It says that it is not available although i can see it.

Based on failure reports over 10 years time, two things might need proactive replacements on the NC, perhaps before 50000 miles/80000 km: the right rear wheel bearing (all models), and the shift motor (DCT only).

Sorry to hear about the failure of the shift motor problem that has happened to some. That is one of the reasons I did not get a DCT when I purchased mine in the summer of 2012. It has always been said that you should not buy a first year model, I did but did not trust the application of this DCT. The motor tech sure I,ll roll that dice on a Honda motor anytime. In the Auto field I have replaced many automatic trans solenoids(motors) that controls lockup torque converters to valve body control solenoids. They would be fine for short runs but when they got hot they failed. That heat induced failure on anything electrical has always been a problem. Its a shame that Honda does not cover this outside of the normal warranty. They USED to go above and beyond for there customers. The MFGs (all) have passed the development of their products on to the customer to get them this new tech faster than how they used to.

Since 2010, (13 model years) Honda had made and sold tens of thousands of DCT equipped models. Goldwings, VFR 1200s, NC's, Africa Twins, Rebel 1100's and the DCT makes up I think 53% of sales of those models which have DCT as an option.

If burned out shift motors were a big problem, I imagine there would be general published knowledge about it. It didn't come up at all in the research I did before deciding on a DCT equipped bike.

Since 2010, (13 model years) Honda had made and sold tens of thousands of DCT equipped models. Goldwings, VFR 1200s, NC's, Africa Twins, Rebel 1100's and the DCT makes up I think 53% of sales of those models which have DCT as an option.

If burned out shift motors were a big problem, I imagine there would be general published knowledge about it. It didn't come up at all in the research I did before deciding on a DCT equipped bike.
There’s been a handful reported here and also a handful of manuals that had replacement clutches by 30,000 miles. No reason to lose sleep or fix what isn’t broken yet.

There’s been a handful reported here and also a handful of manuals that had replacement clutches by 30,000 miles. No reason to lose sleep or fix what isn’t broken yet.
At the 51,000 mile mark, I left home on the NC on a 6300 mile trip. The right rear wheel bearing was a pile of rubble when I got back home. Had I been more aware and diligent, I coulda/woulda/shoulda replaced that bearing before I left home, and I now regret that I didn’t. Ignorance was bliss, but that would not have stopped me from being stranded rural roadside in another country with a bad bearing. Likewise, from what I have learned and am aware of about DCT shifter motor failures, I would have replaced or serviced my shifter motor before going on a long trip, if my NC was a DCT model. Not proactively replacing the shift motor is what would cause my loss of sleep, but everyone has their own worry thresholds.

Adding my experience to the thread, Shift motor quit working while traveling in hot weather. Pulled out shift motor and cleaned it according to YouTube video. I couldn’t wait for a new shift motor as I was on a trip. The cleaned, old, shift motor has been functioning perfectly for over 10,000 miles now and in extreme heat. I did order a new shift motor from Honda but it took three weeks to arrive. I also ordered a shift motor from AliExpress and it arrived in five days. Honda wanted $260 and AliExpress was $60. I’ll carry the new shift motor as a spare. The Honda motor was sent back!

Back