• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Daytime running Lights

Willie

Reaction score
Visit site
I am thinking of installing e tra daytime running lights for more visibility, what are you folks recommending, and why? Thanks for reading.

While I don't recommend their lights per se I do really like where the Acerbis Vision hand-guards puts the extra lights. For being seen I would think the higher and further apart the lights are the better. Dosen't get much higher or further apart then the ends of the handlebars.

I had originally wired them up tapping into the marker light on each side with an off switch on a common ground. This had the side I was signalling to turn off with the signal and the ability to turn both of them off if need be. That was cool until the lights that came in them literally rattled apart after one season.

I now have some $35 square pods in their place hooked up to a Skene light dimmer that has them at 10% on low beam and full power on high beam.

They aren't blinding other drivers at night on low beam and really help even out the high beam with more light on either side of the hotspot.

Not the fastest, easiest, or cheapest option but it is what mine has evolved into and I am happy with the increased conspicuity on low beam and light throw on hi.
IMG_20180605_211120.jpg

Last edited:
[...For being seen I would think the higher and further apart the lights are the better...]

+1 on that comment. :eek:

Mostly the manufacturers running lights are ridiculously expensive. Two of my friends purchased similar items of good quality at a local Farm Supplies shop for a small fraction of the price. They are quality items and just as effective. My point, some good quality items can be obtained in the most unlikely places.

I’ve installed these Model 20 kits on two bikes. They work well in increase my visibility to other motorists.

LED light kit from ADV Monster.

Last edited:
Agree on the more and spread out as far as you can. And even use mixed colours. The orange/yellow really catches attention.

20171106_065401-web.jpg

• SW Motech Kobra handguards that I eventually decided to add their LED inserts, plus an additional "2 to 3 wire" kit (3rd party) so that I could maintain both DRL and turn signals, matches the OEM signals operation!
  • Denali D2's on the light bar with the hi/lo option wired to my highbeams and an on/off switch on the handlebar
  • Denali DM's down low with the orange/yellow lens, wired the same as the D2's (Y connection), also has the advantage of pointing where the front wheel points
  • Various reflective tape from Custom33 (silver rim tape that blends in with silver rims during the day, goes full-on Tron at night when lights hit), came with extra 'dots' etc. that can be placed around the bike. CountyComm also has some cool tape that is very reflective as well as glow in the dark!

Both of the Denali sets have the one side set to focus and the near-side set to flood to give a little extra light to whatever might be thinking about jumping in front of me from the roadside!

For the rear I installed an Admore light bar as well as reflectors to the bottom of the license plate. The light bar has always on, plus a flash to very bright brake, built in progressive indicators, and a white flash (center) to catch extra attention.

Cheap? No! But I'm happy with the way it looks and functions.

Here's my set up. Cheap lights off ebay. Around 800-1000 lumens. Great daytime visibility, but great during night rides, too. I have them connected through the bikes switched power via the sub-harness so they run all the time.

That's a cool setup, Fez! I like it.

Attachments

• lights.jpg
    lights.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 253
Last edited:
I also have the sw Motech inserts in the handguard. Mine are just extra turn signals, though. They do add some width.

[HERE] is how I attached them. The only change I've made is to use angled (L shaped) "flat bar" from home depot and not just the flat type. The purely flat tends to bounce with vibration.

The aux. lights have an ON/OFF switch at the base of the left mirror. I usually leave them on in the day time.

tip.jpg

Last edited:
I also have the sw Motech inserts in the handguard. Mine are just extra turn signals, though. They do add some width.

I think I spent more time searching for this than I did during the install! My Google-Fu skills finally got me an answer it was just a matter of getting the right terms of course (GIGO: garbage in, garbage out!).

There were 2 options I considered, this is the cheap ($5) route: Tripage LED converter

The other option was that I reached out to Admore. I noticed that they sell amber LED arrays which have the ability to do both DRL and signals by use of an external 'controller' that sits between the lights and the bike connection. People retrofit them into Barkbusters etc. I really liked the design work they put into their products and they were willing to sell me a set of 2 controllers for $20. As I was already getting PosiTaps and some other stuff from them I went this route. Easy to wire in and works flawlessly.

Thanks! My electronics knowledge is weak.

My electronics is weak, unless really good instructions are available! Thankfully the 2-3 wire is a no-brainer. You take the 2 wires coming from the Kobra lights and attach to the 2 wire side of the 3rd-party 'controller'. Then you connect 2 of the 3 wires on the other side of the controller the exact same way as you already had the existing lights; and then the 3rd wire goes to the bike's wire that has the function you don't have right now. If you had previously wired them as DRL's then you connect them to the signal wire that feed your stock turn lights; if they were previously connected as signaling then connect the 3rd wire to the DRL wire that feeds your stock turn lights. And for connections, Posi Lock products (taps, twists, and tites) are your best friend!! They make connecting wires really easy, really securely, and really stable.

Back