• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Dashboard blinking and bike losing power for a few seconds while riding

Ticopilot

Reaction score
Visit site
I just had the weirdest thing happen to me while riding to work. I was on my regular city piloting when all of a sudden, the dashboard started blinking and the bike lost power. About 2 seconds later, it resumed as if nothing had happened. I still need to check if anything was reset in the dashboard. Has anyone experienced something like this? My bike is an NC750XDCT with about 3400 Km on the clock.

Last edited:
I just had the weirdest thing happen to me while riding to work. I was on my regular city piloting when all of a sudden, the dashboard started blinking and the bike lost power. About 2 seconds later, it resumed as if nothing had happened. I still need to check if anything was reset in the dashboard. Has anyone experienced something like this? My bike is an NC750XDCT with about 3400 Km on the clock.

Without further info, it sounds like a classic battery power interruption. Like a loose connection at the battery terminals, kind of thing. That would be the first and easiest thing to check anyway. :)

It's also possible, even with such low mileage/time on the bike, to have a bad battery; the DCT bikes seem to be a little more sensitive to low voltage than the manuals from what I gather.

A quick check with a voltmeter will at least tell you if you are getting proper charging from your alternator with the bike idling, and if you have 12+ volts when bike off. You will have to get it properly load tested to confirm it's health for sure though.

Last edited:
Without further info, it sounds like a classic battery power interruption. Like a loose connection at the battery terminals, kind of thing. That would be the first and easiest thing to check anyway. :)

It's also possible, even with such low mileage/time on the bike, to have a bad battery; the DCT bikes seem to be a little more sensitive to low voltage than the manuals from what I gather.

A quick check with a voltmeter will at least tell you if you are getting proper charging from your alternator with the bike idling, and if you have 12+ volts when bike off. You will have to get it properly load tested to confirm it's health for sure though.

As per my own experience. Loose battery connection is my opinion. :)

Not that lucky here. Double checked the connections, all good. Battery has plenty of juice. Mine started blinking, clock reset to 1:00 and the bike just shut off. In tow now to dealer. They should have replaced my instrument panel when I asked, but they forgot to order it. Been on the side of the road since a little after 2... Will have to see what happens...

It is getting replaced anyway, I have had it ordered a month back, but haven't been able to get it in. I got the recall notice from Honda back in May. I got it towed in just as they were closing, so I will find out what is happening tomorrow. They are going to replace the unit and check the codes and fuses and let me know. Should be covered under warranty, nonetheless.

It ended up being the starter solenoid. Somehow it burnt up, kept blowing fuses. Parts are on order. Waiting for an update on when I can pick her up.

Just had my gauge cluster recall done at the dealer, and on the way home the new cluster started flickering when the engine was under load. They didn't tighten the battery cables when they were finished.

I know the battery is in an isolated compartment, but just make sure one of the terminals isn't touching the frame which is grounded. I had a Hyosung GV650 that shorted the battery to the frame and the symptoms were the same. It toasted my battery.

Not that lucky here. Double checked the connections, all good. Battery has plenty of juice. Mine started blinking, clock reset to 1:00 and the bike just shut off. In tow now to dealer. They should have replaced my instrument panel when I asked, but they forgot to order it. Been on the side of the road since a little after 2... Will have to see what happens...

That is exactly what happened to me that day when I tried to get to the dealer. I also had to tow it to the dealer but I know now what was wrong, the Starter relay had a short circuit they "fixed it" last week but today I am getting a new one under warranty.

It seems we had the same problem exactly and basically the same negative experience with a faulty part and no spare parts in the dealer to fix it.

I wonder if this is a Known-issue and if there should be a recall on this part. It is extremely dangerous to be riding and suddenly losing all power.

Last edited:
I see that DCT starts to give very annoying and unsafe symptoms while on the road...

My issue turned out to be the starter switch, which made the relay get stuck on, which in turn burnt out the starter solenoid. All because of some grit that got into the switch housing. On the plus side, all warranty repair/replacement, so it was a whopping $0.00.

They are aware of the recall on the starter relays, but have not been notified of any due in this area, yet.

Back