• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Dang deer

davidc83

Super Mods
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Southern Indiana/Central Florida-part time snow bi
Visit site
At first I wasn't going to post, but... yesterday morning, while commuting to work, 1.5 miles after leaving home, I got t-boned by a deer, and knocked off the bike. I was on my old c-50 boulevard, doing about 25 mph. It was o dark 30, going around a curve, with open field on my left and forest on my right. I saw deer in the field, I slowed and was paying attention to them, and WHAM, got hit and down I went. I got a little road rash on my legs but I am sore all over. Jacket, boots, helmet, gloves did their job. Bike has road rash on mufflers, right bar end, and right floor board edge. Right bar riser bolt is bent, but nothing on tank, windshield, turn signals-lucky. I laid for a minute evaluating my condition, ensuring nothing was broken, no concussion. Got up and lifted the bike-easiest I have ever been able to lift it-adrenaline. It started on first try, rode it back to the house, disinfected my road rash on legs, changed clothes, and drove the car to work. 2 months till deer season, they have declared war....be careful guys. Lesson learned- buy motorcycle riding pants...on my list to buy now, and don't ride with anything in pant pockets-deep muscle bruise in upper thigh where keys were located-most soreness in this location.

Sent from my XT830C using Tapatalk

"don't ride with anything in pant pockets" Exactly right!

Glad it's just minor damage to you and the bike, take easy it for a few days just to be sure nothing is more wrong than you think.

I hate deer season, I ride some very rural roads to get to work everyday and always see deer and turkey. I try and ride around other cars and hopefully they hit the deer and not me.
I've often wondered what the best thing to do if an animal collision is unavoidable, like jumped from the woods or blind corner. I speculate anything deer size or smaller the best action would be put the bike upright and use the gyroscopic principal that the bike wants to ride upright and straight and just go through the it. Let the bike take the brunt of the animal and the spinning wheels keep you upright for as long as possible and not upset it's stability by slamming the brakes. Just a theory.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I live across the street from a park that have deer brought in a few times per year. Deer are the enemy! A deer gets hit on the road to my home about once a week, as the 4-H school barn is across the street from the park. The school kids have found that deer are Kakashi Pilots looking for something to fly into. Santa Clause's co-pilot, Frosty, has to make regular fly bys due to copilot meltdown. Santa needs to change from deer power to horse power. Deer season should be year round!!!!!!!!!!

Deer meat is the best, especially back strap, get your max come deer season reduce their numbers :)

I love these, they've been very good to me when I take a dive on the dualsport in the rocks and sticks. Very comfortable for long days and not even bad in 100F weather when moving, I wear them on the NC700X too. Work under any pants, though it's especially good with my Klim Dakars. Wow, I better buy another pair since they are on closeout, the ones I have will probably wear out in 5 more years...

Dainese Norsorex Pro-Shape Pants E1 - RevZilla

dainese_underwear_norsorex_pant_e1_rollover.jpg

When compared to just 10 years ago, the motorcycle garments are so much nicer, lighter, and safer. The under garments are just amazing protection. The pricing is now about 1/2 what such garments would have cost. Now even folks in outlaw motorcycle clubs are wearing the protection. Never thought I would ever see that in my lifetime.

Glad to hear you're relatively OK. If I see deer on one side of the road I keep my eyes peeled looking at the opposite side. That won't help much if you're about to be hit but at least you'll see it coming. I had a friend knocked clean off his two week old BMW K1300 by a turkey that hit him on the side of his helmet. BMW branded ATGATT saved his hide except for a broken collar bone but not the bike.

Hoping you have a full recovery. What the DNR has found in our neck of the woods is that deer will suddenly bolt to escape the biting flies pestering them then crossing the paths of motorists. Being spooked I'm sure is another reason but I thought it was an interesting find that does seem to explain some of the collisions.

Ouch! Glad to hear you're ok. Don't ride with anything in your jacket pockets either.

A friend of mine tangled with a deer a year ago, she messed up her shoulder from the impact, but was wearing gear so she was relatively unscathed, can't say that for the bike though, busted the windscreen, & headlight had deer fur and her bags got scraped up from the slide and bent the handlebar. She was more worried about the guy behind her running her over during her slide across the pavement.

Glad your Ok. I don't know which one I'm more afraid of, deer or pre-occupied drivers. I've probably had as many close calls with deer as I've had with bad drivers. You can usually see what's coming when its related to a car but deer just pop out of nowhere. I have three different routes I can take to and from work. I usually avoid the rural routes at dawn and dusk near deer season but as you have pointed out, it can happen any time of year. Hope you have a quick recovery.

Deer meat is the best, especially back strap, get your max come deer season reduce their numbers :)
I always try to get at least 2 (I can get up to 7 in my county alone-only one buck per year though :(). Still having ridden the nc700 since the deer attack on the C50. Rainey, wet since that day and now I have a head cold and bronchitis (dang weather in the Ohio River valley). Later guys.

Glad your Ok. I don't know which one I'm more afraid of, deer or pre-occupied drivers. I've probably had as many close calls with deer as I've had with bad drivers. You can usually see what's coming when its related to a car but deer just pop out of nowhere. I have three different routes I can take to and from work. I usually avoid the rural routes at dawn and dusk near deer season but as you have pointed out, it can happen any time of year. Hope you have a quick recovery.
I see deer all the time, and they usually just stand and watch (like the deer in the field were doing)-don't know what caused the dang thing to bold out of the forest like it did-and it was hidden for all the trees. After my bronchitis clears up, going riding on the nc700 and work on the c50 (think all I need is a riser bolt-replacement); exhaust pipes and bar end scratches/small dent, only gives it character-not replacing those.

I love these, they've been very good to me when I take a dive on the dualsport in the rocks and sticks. Very comfortable for long days and not even bad in 100F weather when moving, I wear them on the NC700X too. Work under any pants, though it's especially good with my Klim Dakars. Wow, I better buy another pair since they are on closeout, the ones I have will probably wear out in 5 more years...

Dainese Norsorex Pro-Shape Pants E1 - RevZilla

dainese_underwear_norsorex_pant_e1_rollover.jpg

Greenboy:

Are these also a compression pant or just a snug fitting protective layer?
I hear compression shorts/pants make riding long days in the saddle more comfortable and so I am getting a pair.
Thought if these are also a type of compression pants - great!

God bless!!

Michael

Glad you are ok. I almost got skewered by a buck on the way home one night. The deer decided it was on the wrong side of the road and was going to cross.
The fact that I was already in front of it clearly didn't matter. I could have reached out and touched the antlers it was so close.

Greenboy:

I hear compression shorts/pants make riding long days in the saddle more comfortable and so I am getting a pair.

God bless!!

Michael

Hey Michael, they are very breathable very comfortable protection that seem pretty tight the first 10 hours or so, then just seem snug enough to keep pads right where they belong. I really don't even notice the knee bend now, yet they don't shift away from correct placement. Just got to make sure you order the right size I suppose. L was indicated in the fitment guide for me, and that's what I got.

Greenboy:

God bless!!

Michael

I have a pair of the Dainese's in size L. I wouldn't call them a compression fit, at least not on me. On long trips i do wear Under Armour compression gear, and my muscles aren't as sore at the end of long trips.
I haven't found much use for the Dainese's myself though, They are too hot for me most of the time. I thought of giving them away, but who wants used underwear? LOL They are good under kevlar jeans in the winter though, but that's seldom here in Florida.

Glad you're OK Dave! I HATE ROAD RASH!!!!

Back