• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Creating a dedicated key for the storage compartment

Crappy design for the frunk latch, fersure!

Last edited by a moderator:
I was lucky, mine came with a dedicated frunk key with a small round knob. it is a bit hard to turn, but works if I press slightly on the frunk/seat.

I have the same issue. My dealer told me that there is a "Recall" on the latch mechanism from Honda for this very issue years ago. I have been holding off on getting this done as I do not ride NaNCy enough to get to the next major service quick enough. I will probably have them take a look at then.

It wasn't showing up on their recall search page when I looked. Got a link?

Cheap first version

I managed to do a rough first version of a frunk key. It required a hacksaw, a clamp, an old paint stirring stick cut into two 1-inch pieces, and a bunch of red duct tape. I made a smore.

We'll iterate up to that Goldwing radio knob...

20170902_152704.jpg

20170903_104731.jpg

Last edited:
I didn't read every Post in this very long thread so if this has been said before my apologies. I took my key to a locksmith and told them to make me a key 1/2 inch shorter. They cut the end off of it and then ground a key just like the ignition profile but since the key is 1/2 inch shorter it can never reach far enough to start the bike. Then I cut the handle part of the key down like everyone else and used a 3/4 inch PVC cap as a knob. I believe the PVC cap will last the life of the bike.

The lid from a bottle of Worcester sauce worked for me - set the key in a bit of rubber I'd whittled down and cut a slit through, then poured in the two part epoxy to fill the gaps.

In a few hours, when it's had a chance to set, I'll get the Dremel out and polish away the gluey mess from the sides of the lid. Popped a nail through from side to side too, to aid stability as it's turned :)
462d3f20972c7ddbe849010a7d4e4b77.jpg

Sent from my Mi A2 using Tapatalk

The lid from a bottle of Worcester sauce worked for me - set the key in a bit of rubber I'd whittled down and cut a slit through, then poured in the two part epoxy to fill the gaps.

In a few hours, when it's had a chance to set, I'll get the Dremel out and polish away the gluey mess from the sides of the lid. Popped a nail through from side to side too, to aid stability as it's turned :)
462d3f20972c7ddbe849010a7d4e4b77.jpg

...and here it is, set enough to sit in its new home :)

-Paul
95209878a79ad73cb1ac61bb7726e1f4.jpg

I attached some strong velcro to the back of the key I'd made for the frunk - and the other side of the velcro inside the lip of lid. Now I have somewhere to store the key when not needed :)
f5938217372fb4d1343c3d1ea5ff07e2.jpg
40e725ce2f7d5157fdb9d97644460b1e.jpg

I zip tied a spare frunk key near the back of the headlight on the right side, out of sight but I can remove it one handed with no tools and it hasn't fallen off in the two years it's been there

I keep a spare ignition key in the paperwork cubby in the bottom of the frunk

Last edited:
Reactions: MZ5
I had both a spare ignition and a shorter key made for the frunk at a locksmith. I explained the blank numbers and purpose. Each key was $5. Locksmith said my original ignition key was slightly twisted and to be careful with it, and not to use the spares if they didn't feel smooth going in or gave any sort of resistance. The ignition key isn't super duper smooth but works, so im keeping for emergency use. The shorter key intended for the frunk doesnt work at all though. I didn't really jibe with that particular locksmith and don't want to go back. I feel like im asking for something custom and didn't ask right. So,, any advice on how to clearly tell the next locksmith how to make a functional frunk key?

Or, if we think the issue is my original and not perfect ignition key, is there something I can do? I do not have the key code, used bike. Non hiss.

Thanks!

I had both a spare ignition and a shorter key made for the frunk at a locksmith. I explained the blank numbers and purpose. Each key was $5. Locksmith said my original ignition key was slightly twisted and to be careful with it, and not to use the spares if they didn't feel smooth going in or gave any sort of resistance. The ignition key isn't super duper smooth but works, so im keeping for emergency use. The shorter key intended for the frunk doesnt work at all though. I didn't really jibe with that particular locksmith and don't want to go back. I feel like im asking for something custom and didn't ask right. So,, any advice on how to clearly tell the next locksmith how to make a functional frunk key?

Or, if we think the issue is my original and not perfect ignition key, is there something I can do? I do not have the key code, used bike. Non hiss.

Thanks!
What is your bike’s model year? Does your bike use a traditional double cut bumpy key, or the newer wave style key?

Seems to me if you asked the locksmith for a duplicate key, and it doesn’t work, the locksmith should make another key that does work, or refund your money.

I have a 2013 with the bumpy cut. I think i see the issue now. She copied the top part of the key instead of the bottom. I don't know how but that's what it looks like. So, I can explain that to the next Smith and hopefully have better results

Attachments

• 16246401300235244320280363915865.jpg
    16246401300235244320280363915865.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 27
I have a 2013 with the bumpy cut. I think i see the issue now. She copied the top part of the key instead of the bottom. I don't know how but that's what it looks like. So, I can explain that to the next Smith and hopefully have better results
ensure they use an HD 109 blank....I had one cut at Rural King,,,then took a wire cutter and cut the top (part you hold) and top of the key just above the bumpys, glued into a cap (some people use some kind of knob) and use it....since I cut part of the skinny part of the key (from bumpies to the hold part) it wasnt long enough to work in the ignition but long enough to work in the frunk....

That doesn't even look like the right cut to me on the part she did do

Last edited:
The HD105 won’t work. The copy is missing the bottom two bumps because it is too short. You need to copy the whole HD109, then if you want it shortened, cut off the top and put a knob or some other stopper on it so it’s not long enough to fit in the ignition lock, but still works in the frunk lock.

We had someone make a key and it was cut wrong. I can't remember for sure but I think it went in too far and had to be wiggled up to work. PIA. Tossed.

Back