• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Creating a dedicated key for the storage compartment

Made a pair a few years back for the bags on my ST1300. Made one this spring for the NC.
Duplicate key cut by my local lock & key dealer for $3.00 Plug for 1/2" sq. tubing from hardware store.
JB Weld to secure the key.
The square knob is easier to turn, as it is easier to grip than the round.

S5000025.jpg

(The GPS is a std. RAM Handlebar Rail Mount base I had from an ATV mount, bored the holes to handlebar bolts (8mm ???))

** NOTE - If use the Handlebar mount you will need to get longer bolts! Also you will NOT be able to get a socket on the bolts to torque them. Should probably use socket head bolts.

Last edited:
I just use a TWO key solution. I can keep the motor running AND have access to my frunk.
u6azesuv.jpg

I have been using this solution for a year or so now. It works really well for me!
I did NOT cut the key, but just JB welded the whole key in. This allows the key to still be used in the ignition if necessary! It does stand up from the frunck lock about half an inch but has not caused any problems.
I couldn't do with out it!
BudK

As I've only been on here since January I hadn't seen this thread.

Xlnt idea, I've also found removing the ignition key to get In the frunk or fuel tank a pita.

This is a farkle well worth undertaking, I'll keep my eyes peeled now for a suitable black plastic knob and get a key cut.

Btw, I always carry my spare key in a deep unused pocket, just in case. I don't fancy the idea of hiding a key on the bike.

A half of a junior hacksaw/coping saw blade can be quite handy in the field too if your key breaks in the lock.

Edited to add that I've had another look through the pics on this thread and the black Goldwing radio knob of Spaceteachs is my favourite, it just looks like an original part.

Any Goldwing owners got any knocking about?

Last edited:
I do the same. It's never flown open on me but I rarely make it past 75mph. I keep my garage door opener in the frunk and don't want to unlock the frunk when pulling into the house.

Forgot to latch mine once and it popped open at 60-65 mph due to wind gusts. Scared me since I always latch mine. A hat flew out of the frunk onto the highway.

Back