• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Creaky front brake M/C.

Zanx

Reaction score
Visit site
That's the best way I can describe it, like the pivot screw on the lever is sticky or something, pull on the brake and it slows a bit, pull a bit harder and it's "kak...kak....kak" in bits rather than a smooth action. Greased the pivot point to no avail so I'm thinking the M/C might need reaming out to remove varnish. Any thoughts/experiences? I dare say it's not NC specific.

First is the pad wore out??
Second - The noise is most likely from the brake pad.
On cars it can happen because the pad and the caliper are rubbing, and the fix is a lube/glue on the metal side of the pad.
I have not used that on a bike but it should be the same thing. Any auto parts place will have it. A little goes a long way.
Also can try to take a file to the pad surface and rough it up a bit in the direction opposite the rotor travels.

As an DIYer I would try bleeding the brake first. If it's creaky as you bleed it's master cylinder related. If the feeling stops, but returns once you tighten up the bled screw it's related to the caliper.

Sometimes its not enough to just grease the pivot. I had a similar issue recently with my old Dominator. I fount that I also needed to clean and grease the point on the lever where it makes contact with the reservoir piston. The corresponding point on the piston needed cleaning also.

Under the rubber boot is usually a short pushrod that bears against the piston in the cylinder bore and the lever. Both ends of the pushrod had a smear of grease applied at the factory.

Yes that is what I refer to in my post above albeit my description not as accurate.

Under the rubber boot is usually a short pushrod that bears against the piston in the cylinder bore and the lever. Both ends of the pushrod had a smear of grease applied at the factory.
Ah, I never knew that. It's definitely the M/C end. It's on about 55,000 miles now so any grease in there will just be a memory by now.

Back