• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

"correct" tyre pressure

[..Whatever is says on the sidewall of the tire minus 10% is close enough...]

That number is usually the maximum recommended pressure from the tire maker and NOT what the motorcycle manufacturer specifies for a specific model.

I'm about 225 lbs all geared up , no bags on bike etc. Is the advise on this thread too run the tires approximately 2-5 psi under what is stated on the sidewall of the tires?. This of course will be dependent on summer or autumn riding , correct? .

I'm about 225 lbs all geared up , no bags on bike etc. Is the advise on this thread too run the tires approximately 2-5 psi under what is stated on the sidewall of the tires?. This of course will be dependent on summer or autumn riding , correct? .

I think the consensus is that you ignore the stuff on the sidewall - you should never be anywhere near those readings, they are just for safety. Without going through the whole thread to remind myself, I think the gist of it is to adjust the recommended pressures from Honda by lowering them by about 10% if you are riding one-up (but you are a big guy so maybe just 5%) and since I think Cincinatti gets pretty cold, you need to adjust for outside air temperature too. If your garage is at near zero deg for instance then you should set the pressure 10% lower than the booklet says, as it has assumed 20 degrees C. I think if you get it right then you should find the pressure in (say) the back tyre after a few miles of vigorous riding should be 46lb because the tyre will have flexed and warmed up properly.
Mike

"correct" tyre pressure

I may be wrong but I believe the tire pressure sticker indicates 36F/42R. That's what I run in my tires (that's cold pressure).

This for me. I don't have (and don't want to invest $100's) in tire monitors. So I measure cold before riding, and go with 36/42. No worries so far on PR4's in all conditions (including snow).

Last edited:
I think the consensus is that you ignore the stuff on the sidewall - you should never be anywhere near those readings, they are just for safety. Without going through the whole thread to remind myself, I think the gist of it is to adjust the recommended pressures from Honda by lowering them by about 10% if you are riding one-up (but you are a big guy so maybe just 5%) and since I think Cincinatti gets pretty cold, you need to adjust for outside air temperature too. If your garage is at near zero deg for instance then you should set the pressure 10% lower than the booklet says, as it has assumed 20 degrees C. I think if you get it right then you should find the pressure in (say) the back tyre after a few miles of vigorous riding should be 46lb because the tyre will have flexed and warmed up properly.
Mike
I heartedly disagree. Today in 70 degree F my 42 psi cold rear tire was showing 47 psi after good and warm. That's about 12% increase. I used to run pressures around 38 to 40 cold on the rear and after installing TPMS I found those numbers too low. I weigh about 170 lbs in riding gear.

I check tire pressure before I ride (cold). So, I should start out cold pressure wise below the recommended 42 rear and 36 front psi ? by 5 to 10% less ?.

My Honda user's manual pretty clearly states under the specs tire pressure 36 front, 42 rear (refer to page 173) and tire pressures should be checked cold (refer to page 89; checking tire pressure). Why would you not go to the manual for things like this? I mean these are the people who have to be right about this stuff, or they'd be out of a job. With my riding abilities any more of the finer nuances are simply lost on me (and I'm sure on the majority of riders).

Last edited:
All this talk of tire (tyre) pressures expressed in PSI got me wondering. Does the majority of the world that uses the SI system express tire pressures in kPa or something, or are they forced to use the funky US customary system (or similar) system?

Last edited:
I check tire pressure before I ride (cold). So, I should start out cold pressure wise below the recommended 42 rear and 36 front psi ? by 5 to 10% less ?.

The vehicle manufacturer means 'before riding' when he says 'cold' What he doesn't take into account is that in winter in the UK it could be zero deg C in my garage 'before riding'. If I want to check my tyres before setting off on a very cold winter day, I do not want to set them at 36/42 because those recommended pressures have been set assuming a workshop temperature of 20 deg C. If I set them at 36/42 and go riding it's likely that the tyre will not flex enough to get up to its best working temperature and so grip will suffer. I want really good grip in a cold wet UK winter so it's better for me to set the air pressures 10% lower (ie 32/38)
.... at least that's what I gleaned from researching htis a few months ago
Mike

Good info. It's a bit confusing actually. Ambient temps, rider weight , sidewall recommendations , bike manual recommendations etc. I do understand max pressure AT max weight rating for said tire (s). I find my Pirelli scorpions, which came on the bike, a bit finicky regarding pressure. I'll just have to experiment with pressures I suppose; getting much colder here in Cincinnati currently. Time will tell. TIA

hope i dont open a can of worm...
You already did. with the title of:
icon5.png
"correct" tyre pressure"

IMO, there is no such thing as "correct" or "wrong" tire pressure.
There is "good enough" or "who cares?"
With environmental factors and a bazillion other criteria that changes
as we ride the bike, like changing surface conditions; once you set
tire pressures at the "good enough" level, the rest is independent of tire pressure.

A "correct" pressure level is not going to save you from wiping out or extend tire life
if you abuse the traction by poor braking habits for one, but generally indulge in poor riding style.
It's more important to check them regularly.
My 2₵

At the risk of starting another debate, I have been using the indicator valve caps on all my vehicles now for 8 years - and I'm still using the ones I bought 8 years ago. Contrary to the alarming advice I got at the time - they have never leaked, they don't affect the wheel balance, they don't catch the kerb and no-one has ever nicked them. They have however often prevented me setting off with an almost flat tyre - which is surprisingly easy to do on a bike compared to a car. It's the easiest thing in the world to check front and back before a ride. If you decide they are worth trying, buy a pair that are set ak lower than the pressure you want. So for the rear I thing I have 38's on. That's because they have a tolerance before they turn yellow or red, and I think on a bike the tolerance is a bit too much.
Mike

Just remember when guys are recommending 20-25 PSI if you were to run that low pressure on fully loaded bike at high speed in hot weather ............it might wipe the tire out in 100's of miles and end with a total failure. This happens on heavy touring bikes quite often. Comments like checked the tire it was "good" ......400 miles later it was gone !

I run 32 - 36 PSI front/rear cold. Shinko Verge II. The recommended pressure makes the ride a little too harsh for me. My 09 Versys recommended pressure is 32-36 PSI. The Versys and NC weigh about the same and have the same size tires.

This for me. I don't have (and don't want to invest $100's) in tire monitors. So I measure cold before riding, and go with 36/42. No worries so far on PR4's in all conditions (including snow).
I paid full price for a FOBO system. Then snagged a little used pair for 1/2 price only $100 shipped to me. Those went on the daughters MC 's. Then I did an eBay search and found these for $33. I bought two for my bikes and it was cheap enough I thought I would gamble. I found out that I wanted a monitor I could see while going down the road. Had one built into my 2012 wing and it saved me in Wyoming where help is always a ways away. So you don't have to spend bucks these days.
2d7dc2e4043fe34d83a76c72bdc2b90a.jpg
9d49c6f3a1370f427934581f0c9f0f64.jpg
8878c71eeaab50b13528e1abb5059f7b.jpg
a3b24b314eee84a602dc1c9738a51142.jpg
3b3e2741632986dd62f144cc62f140d8.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Inspired by 1wiseguy2's post, I bought a TPMS too... and turned out to be the same one. I mounted it down on my engine bars to minimize theft/damage. It is good for a quick check before a ride.

It has exactly the same measurement as my gauge. It turns off after a couple minutes and boots immediately with a button press. Good for a quick check before riding. I plugged a nail in my tire a while ago so I worry about pressure a little sometimes. It also alarms (flashes red and beeps) if over or under a set amount. Great little gadget. I got mine from Amazon and paid about $20 more than chinese import sites - which gives me immediate shipping and return/warranty.

Here: Motorcycle Tire Pressure Monitoring System Wireless Waterproof Motorcycle TPMS + 2 External Sensors KDator, Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS) - Amazon Canada

Images here:
TPMS - Album on Imgur

Back