• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Considering New 2015 NC700X (Dealer Special) Should I get a later model

andyFromWi

Reaction score
Visit site
Greetings.
For the past month I have been researching different adventure bikes.

I'm 5'7 and 50+ years old. I have a 97 Goldwing, 83 Shadow VT750C (which I have rigged up for camping, and have taken it to Ontario for the past years. I'm looking to upgrade to a more capable bike).
I've narrowed it down to a CB500x or an NCX 700 or 750. Eventually I would like to take the bike across the US, but for the first summer I plan on a trips mostly highway, Wisconsin, Canada, St. Louis MO, some interstate and some gravel roads and possible fire trail. I would probably ride 4-7K miles this first summer.
I was leaning towards the CB500x, but I like the idea of the NCX (better highway cruising, MPG and the frunk).

Currently Many of the Honda dealers have a truckload sale on the 2015 NC700X for$4,999 + plus I'm sure the usual fees.

Question: Is the 2015 NC700X a good bike, or are the later year 750's far superior? Why? Why not?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks
-andy

ps, attached is my version of my 83 adventure bike. It might not be fancy, but it always got me to my destination.

Attachments

• Shadow-Camping-June2019-small.jpg
    Shadow-Camping-June2019-small.jpg
    181.8 KB · Views: 32
The short answer to the question "far superior": No.

For the US market, the body styling of the NC700X was changed somewhat after 2015, which then continued in that style when the engine grew to 745cc. I personally like the original styling better, but it's a personal taste thing. One advantage to the new body style is that the frunk (what we call the storage bin where the traditional gas tank would be) lid was reshaped to allow a tad more room in the frunk, and the lid has slots in it to more easily fit a tank bag.

The engine went from 670cc to 745cc with the introduction of the 750. Yes, there are couple more horsepower, but not something I would consider upgrading for. There is an extra counter balancer, a little higher rev limit (but not a higher powerband), and supposedly the same fuel economy. I've ridden the 2019 750. It's very nice, really good and nice. Is it way better than the 700? No.

I'm a manual transmission fan myself, but if you're going for the DCT version, some new buttons and knobology make the DCT a little bit more versatile on the later models (2016+).

The changes to the NCX line from 2012 to 2020 are evolutionary, but not revolutionary. I have a 2012, but I see no reason that a 2020 is worth spending money on, compared to what I have. Far more utility can be had spending money on needed aftermarket accessories like luggage, seat, windscreen, etc. No matter what NC or CB bike you get, it will definitely need mods to be touring capable.

As for the CB500X vs the NC700X, I have to say I REALLY like the CB's looks, ergonomics, smooth linear engine, and light handling. I even find the CB to be a little more comfortable than the NC. But the low end grunt of the 700/750 engine, and the frunk just make the 700/750 a better choice for touring, in my opinion.

Finally, it must be noted that both the CB500X and the NC7-0X are Adventure Styled bikes. The bikes are basically street bikes by way of the wheel sizes, tire choices, and suspension travel. You could make them semi off road capable with add on equipment, but they will never excel in true off road situations.

Conclusion: If the 2015 NC700X is easily obtainable for a good price that you are happy with, I don't think you can go wrong.

Greg, thank you for the very complete an informational reply, this was exactly the kind of facts I was hoping to find, and excellent point about Adventure Styled bikes. Here in Northern WI, we still have a lot of snow, temps in the 20s but Spring is coming soon, I can't wait to go out for a test ride.
Thanks again.
-andy

I bought a new, leftover 2015 700 last summer. I love the bike. I've had many bikes but I think this one has the least vibration of any bike I've had. I use it mostly to commute around town. I did change the seat out. The stock seat is pretty lousy.

I bought a new, leftover 2015 700 last summer. I love the bike. I've had many bikes but I think this one has the least vibration of any bike I've had. I use it mostly to commute around town. I did change the seat out. The stock seat is pretty lousy.
I'm curious, what brand seat did you purchase, and are you happy with the new seat?
Thanks for the info.
-andy

I bought a 2015 new in May of 2018, I'm about to roll over 30,000 miles and have been very happy with it. I did have some issues with the seat myself but I have a folded in half maddog seat cover which raised the seat height just a little but now I can ride more than an hour at a time. So far the only unscheduled maintenance are a couple of tire punctures, a front caliper rebuild (easier than I thought it would be) and an unscheduled oil change because I made the mistake of letting the dealer work on it.

Seriously, fix it yourself. Once you figure out the plastics, or tupperware as some are calling it, the rest of the maintenance is pretty easy. (And every time you take off the tupperware you somehow end up with more fasteners!)

Greg hit it spot on so not much more to say . I think the difference in HP is about 3 . I bought a left over 14 model for $4700 4-5 months back and love the bike. Like you I have a 14 Goldwing Valkyrie 1800cc and while i love it i ride the 700 more for the fun. I purchased the 700x for one purpose which was to run up to our cabin 40 miles from my home which is at the end a dirt road. The 700x cruses 80MPH easily with two " normal sized " Americans on it even up our small hills. at my age it is the Perfect motorcycle . as far as the RPM range i never hit the rev limiter anyway so power is right off the bottom and i never run out until i feel it is time to shift. I would choose the 700x over the 500X for sure , mostly because it is physically larger and i am a big guy that would look like a circus bear riding the 500. You will have no regrets and with Tax almost 1/2 the price of a newer year

Greg hit it spot on so not much more to say . I think the difference in HP is about 3 . I bought a left over 14 model for $4700 4-5 months back and love the bike. Like you I have a 14 Goldwing Valkyrie 1800cc and while i love it i ride the 700 more for the fun. I purchased the 700x for one purpose which was to run up to our cabin 40 miles from my home which is at the end a dirt road. The 700x cruses 80MPH easily with two " normal sized " Americans on it even up our small hills. at my age it is the Perfect motorcycle . as far as the RPM range i never hit the rev limiter anyway so power is right off the bottom and i never run out until i feel it is time to shift. I would choose the 700x over the 500X for sure , mostly because it is physically larger and i am a big guy that would look like a circus bear riding the 500. You will have no regrets and with Tax almost 1/2 the price of a newer year

Thanks for the info, I'm really looking forward picking up a 700x once the weather clears.

Cool member image, were you are door gunner? I flew the UH-1, AH-1, OH-58 (Guard only, no Active or Deployment time).
-andy

Thanks for all the feedback. I purchased the 2014 NC700x
Drove 100 miles to pick up the bike, trailered and and got it home.
Now a little nice weather would help, I need to ride!
-andy

Attachments

• 2014-nc700x.jpg
    2014-nc700x.jpg
    5 MB · Views: 17
you'll do fine. the 014 model is just as good as any. I had a 012 model dct.
reliable and good on petrol I was averaging 70 mpg or more .
easily do 200 miles to a full tank and I ride two up.
never let me down in the 4 years ownership.

Attachments

• DSC03186.JPG
    DSC03186.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 8
Congratulations andyFromWi. I bought an un-ridden 2016 NC700XD, ABS and DCT in April of 2019. I also have a few Goldwings, too. I bought the NC for those back road fishing adventures where a Gold Wing was just not practical. The NC is a great motorcycle and this is a very informative forum. These guys know a lot about the bikes!

Thanks for all the feedback. I purchased the 2014 NC700x
Drove 100 miles to pick up the bike, trailered and and got it home.
Now a little nice weather would help, I need to ride!
-andy

Was it a 2014 or a 2015 (as thread title suggests)? Picked up a brand new 2015 last year.

Originally I was looking at a new 2015 from a dealer, but ended up purchasing from a private party a 2014 nc700x (standard transmission), it had 10K miles.

I got my first real ride on 2/28/2020. It was 34 degrees outside in Northern Wisconsin. I had to start by getting past the 200' of ice in my driveway. For the first time I walked the bike halfway down the hill, then road up the second 100'. After a few miles getting used to the bike, the driveway was no big deal.
What a great bike. Driving on gravel is breeze compared to my 83 VT750c Shadow, and my 97 GL1500 Goldwing. I spent the afternoon, riding on mostly clean pavement, clean gravel, and some icey gravel roads. I did hook up an heated vest and gloves (that made all the difference for the cool temps). I put 100 miles on that Saturday, and another 60 on Sunday. The bike is everything I hoped for, and I appreciate all the feedback from this forum.
-andy

Attachments

• IMG_20200229_165214.jpg
    IMG_20200229_165214.jpg
    4.7 MB · Views: 11
  • IMG_20200229_165217.jpg
    IMG_20200229_165217.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 13
  • IMG_20200229_165226.jpg
    IMG_20200229_165226.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 13
I bought a 2015 new in 2015. I added a Sargent seat, which is a big help.
The additional modes, power, and storage would be nice, but not more than a few hundred dollars nice.
Here are my farkles. I ride a lot of back roads on gravel and dirt, so that was my focus.

Down here in Katy the dealership has the 2015s for $4000 couple hundred miles tops, demos and what not. Might be worth a one way flight, I could help with airport pickup. I love my NC, I think I will always own one now that I've experienced it.
Greetings.
For the past month I have been researching different adventure bikes.

I'm 5'7 and 50+ years old. I have a 97 Goldwing, 83 Shadow VT750C (which I have rigged up for camping, and have taken it to Ontario for the past years. I'm looking to upgrade to a more capable bike).
I've narrowed it down to a CB500x or an NCX 700 or 750. Eventually I would like to take the bike across the US, but for the first summer I plan on a trips mostly highway, Wisconsin, Canada, St. Louis MO, some interstate and some gravel roads and possible fire trail. I would probably ride 4-7K miles this first summer.
I was leaning towards the CB500x, but I like the idea of the NCX (better highway cruising, MPG and the frunk).

Currently Many of the Honda dealers have a truckload sale on the 2015 NC700X for$4,999 + plus I'm sure the usual fees.

Question: Is the 2015 NC700X a good bike, or are the later year 750's far superior? Why? Why not?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks
-andy

ps, attached is my version of my 83 adventure bike. It might not be fancy, but it always got me to my destination.

Thanks for posting this topic as a Dealer near here, Big St. Charles Motosports, has just listed several new 2015 NC700X's. I'm still awaiting pricing and more informaiton, I'd prefer used (probably more affordable) but still checking/looking for my next bike.

Edit: I just got a reply from them, they're listing these for $4899, plus fees I'm sure.

Last edited:
Back