• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Considering buying one - need advice

Red is good. I'd like one with the DCT updates. I've read here that their is little difference between the 700s and 750s otherwise. I was hoping for upgrades on any used bike.
Look for an '16 or newer for some of the upgrades. From what I can see '18, '19 & '20 are pretty much the same and they added a couple more things but the bikes are nearly interchangeable starting with 2016.

Starting in '16 the new plastics were introduced with the 3rd generation DCT programming.

'18 brought in full LED and Traction Control along with the 750 engine/moniker for the US market.

Look for an '16 or newer for some of the upgrades. From what I can see '18, '19 & '20 are pretty much the same and they added a couple more things but the bikes are nearly interchangeable starting with 2016.

Starting in '16 the new plastics were introduced with the 3rd generation DCT programming.

'18 brought in full LED and Traction Control along with the 750 engine/moniker for the US market.
Thanks melensdad. I thought I read what you said browsing here. I will look for 2016 or newer. If used, I'd really like the 3 upgrades: Seat (I know the seats are extreamly individual), center stand and windshield. Maybe someone upgrading to an Africa Twin. ;)

The other bike I have considered is a Royal Enfield. It has the looks I like and a great price.
But I keep coming back to Honda reliability.
View attachment 43475
I tested a RE 650 Continental....Nice bike...I went to the Indian dealership in Lexington Ky (they allow test rides)-they handed me the key and told me to have it back in an hour or so...I rode country 2 lane highways, country side roads and the Interstate..Power output seemed to be about the same as the NC, 0-60 was the same,,,I got it up to 80mph in about the same time as the NC...The brakes seemed to be better.....as I was test riding, doing about 55mph on a country 2 lane, some lady in an suv made a left turn in front of me and I had to get on the brakes hard (no lock up) to keep from t-boning the lady (of course she had her phone up to her face)....If I had been on my C50 Boulevard, no way I could have stopped in time..doesnt have a windshield so there was head buffeting at 70mph on the Interstate but there are some 3rd party windshields which could help with that....If my C50 Boulevard ever dies (it now has 102,000 miles on it and still ride it), this may be the replacement for it...

The other bike I have considered is a Royal Enfield. It has the looks I like and a great price.
View attachment 43475
That RE does have a nice retro look. I sure do miss those long flat comfy seats from the old days, and what looks like an actual rear fender. It’s surprising that with only 3.3 gallons on board, the RE Continental carries less fuel than the NCX.

I tolerate tube type tires on my dual sport because I have to, but I‘ll never go back to tube type tires on a street bike.

Last edited:
I tested a RE 650 Continental....Nice bike...I went to the Indian dealership in Lexington Ky (they allow test rides)-they handed me the key and told me to have it back in an hour or so...I rode country 2 lane highways, country side roads and the Interstate..Power output seemed to be about the same as the NC, 0-60 was the same,,,I got it up to 80mph in about the same time as the NC...The brakes seemed to be better.....as I was test riding, doing about 55mph on a country 2 lane, some lady in an suv made a left turn in front of me and I had to get on the brakes hard (no lock up) to keep from t-boning the lady (of course she had her phone up to her face)....If I had been on my C50 Boulevard, no way I could have stopped in time..doesnt have a windshield so there was head buffeting at 70mph on the Interstate but there are some 3rd party windshields which could help with that....If my C50 Boulevard ever dies (it now has 102,000 miles on it and still ride it), this may be the replacement for it...
davidc83

Thanks! Good food for thought! Do you currently have an NC? I really like the street looks of the S better than the X. I'd put up with the looks of the X only because I can't get an S in the USA>
You'd replace the Suzuki but not the NC with the Enfield? The Royal Enfield is more like my GL500 and GL650. We have a great dealership here in Minneapolis. I think when my election work is done, I'll go talk to them.

That RE does have a nice retro look. I sure do miss those long flat comfy seats from the old days, and what looks like an actual rear fender. It’s surprising that with only 3.3 gallons on board, the RE Continental carries less fuel than the NCX.

I tolerate tube type tires on my dual sport because I have to, but I‘ll never go back to tube type tires on a street bike.

I read that the tires are tubeless but they put tubes in the tires because these are spoked wheels. You can get tubeless aftermarket wheels for the Enfield, and still be way under the price of a new NCx. But I prefer spoked if I can get them.

The Interceptor pictured has a little bigger tank. 3.6 gal. The Cafed Continental has a 3.3 tank.

Last edited:
A bit late to this party, but my two cents on the RPM question is that the 700 engine is at its happiest between 3000 and 4000 rpm. I generally keep the revs on mine between 2800 and 3800 as that is where I get the most available power and the engine is running smoothest.

I just spoke with GoMoto the local Royal Enfield dealer. They've been out of bikes because of Covid but just got some in and they are going like hotcakes. Making an appointment to go see the bikes (only open by appointment.) They have a Mark III and a Glitter and Dust. Wish me luck! Maybe the NCx will be my 4th bike!

Lee in Minneapolis

View attachment 43475
I've got a '14 NCX I love, I have a couple years until retirement, and decided I'll keep track of how well these stand up. If all is good, I'll buy myself one as a retirement gift to myself (along with a few customizations).

If they turn out to be a 'disappointment' quality or reliability-wise then I'll buy myself a new NCX.

davidc83

Thanks! Good food for thought! Do you currently have an NC? I really like the street looks of the S better than the X. I'd put up with the looks of the X only because I can't get an S in the USA>
You'd replace the Suzuki but not the NC with the Enfield? The Royal Enfield is more like my GL500 and GL650. We have a great dealership here in Minneapolis. I think when my election work is done, I'll go talk to them.
Yea, I have a 2013 NC700x (with 57,000+ miles on it now, bought it new) along with the 2007 C50 Boulevard (and I have a 2009 Kawa Klx 250 sf I keep in storage in Florida). Whichever bike I have to replace first, I will look at the RE bikes... If they bring the new RE 650 cruiser to the USA, that could be the replacement for my cruiser (C50)..

A fellow worker gave me the "heads up" on the local dealer finally getting 650s in. Here is his Interceptor like the one I think I am getting parked next to my GL650.

View attachment 43506
Those two bikes do look similar, sitting side by side.

To each their own, but are you sure you want bikes that are so similar? I try to keep my fleet diverse, like big two-up 1832cc touring bike, mid sized 670cc solo NC, smaller 249cc dual sport, even smaller 49cc scooter. The big bike has over 37 times the engine displacement of the small bike. Each bike is different in size and style from the others and each serves their own purpose. Again, everyone has their likes and dislikes, but I found when two bikes in the fleet had too much size/style overlap, one of them would get much less use than the other.

Last edited:
Back