• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Considering buying a Goldwing

DanH

Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I am looking at buying a Goldwing, adding one that is. I really can't afford brand-new with all the bells and whistles but I can afford a mid-90s GL1500. There are a few in the area. There are a couple of SEs with 80K or 100K miles on them for around $4000, a 93 Aspencade with 14K (yes 14K not 140K) on it for $5500, and an 95 20th Anniversary SE with a matching trailer for $5700.

Is there anything in particular that I should be looking for when I look at these bikes? Is there anything I need to know about before I buy a used 'wing? The motors have a reputation for being good for 250K miles or more.

The 1500 has air shocks. Make sure they work with no leaks. For some reason folks over fill these shocks causing problems. The air shock filter does need replacement from time to time.

Last edited:
Personally I am wary of very low mileage bikes that have been around for years. I had an '82 GL1100, very nice bike. it had around 60k when I bought it so I went through it quite thoroughly. I changed the belts, and truth be told they were fine, but that low mileage / older bike mentality of mine kicked in. the air shocks were removed at some point in its life. I was surprised at the amount of heat it threw, especially on the left side. Overall I really liked it but sold it when I thinned the herd so to speak. would consider another one if I walked into a good deal. good luck!

The 1500 has air shocks. Make sure they work with no leaks. For some reason folks over fill these shocks causing problems. The air shock filter does need replacement from time to time.

One air shock on the right, I think, from working on my father's GL1500 many years ago. The left side is a conventional shock. We put a matched pair of Progressive 416's on his (if I am remembering the model number correctly). It handled much better than the OEM soft pillow wallow-wallow suspension.

I found out many years ago that if you want to own an older bike, it is best that you do all your own work or seek out a dealer/shop that has a mechanic with over 20 years of experience.

Most shops have young kids out of school that do not know anything about bikes older than 10 years old. They also prefer working on newer bikes where they can connect a diagnostic tool to it to have the bike tell them what is wrong with it. They do not know there way around a set of points or about rebuilding a carburetor.

I would highly recommend that you establish your support network before adventuring out on any acquisitions of a bike that is near or over 20 years old.

Good advice all. I guess I'll just make it a condition of sale that I get to take the bike in for Dale or one of his techs to take a look at it before I complete the purchase.

Back