• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Question comon hard start causes

antoniocs185

Reaction score
Visit site
hi my nc 700x has 18k miles and i adjusted the valves last weekend beause it was having some trouble starting. it did not help its condition. any ideas. thinking it might be the fuel pump or crank sensor.

This is a prior thread on intermittent hard starting or long crank:

The later posts is the thread by me mention a few tests:

Engine coolant temp ( ECT) sensor can be the cause if the engine is cold, but the coolant temp sensor is giving a warm temperature signal to the ECU. Testing the ECT resistance reading cold and hot are the key indicators that it’s reporting correctly. Shop manual gives the ohm spec and proper test procedure.

My intermittent long crank could be “cured” by opening the throttle slighting during engine cranking. That would cause the engine to immediately fire up. My thought is the idle air controller ( IAC) on the throttle body is slow to react. The IAC is reasonable for idle, cold start fast idle and the air entering engine during cranking. IAC a is small servo motor on the throttle body. I removed mine “cleaned things up a bit” my cold start issue has not occurred since.

Opening the throttle slightly is allowing air to enter the engine ...........bypassing the IAC.

As the prior post goes off track a few times ..........fuel quality, cranking voltage, valve setting, plugs.
Fuel pump would likely effect engine performance.
Crank sensor would not likely be intermittent.

Back