• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Commuting

["...I got over 80 mpg..." new commuter700]

Was that a real calculation (tank topped up after xx-miles) or looking at the mileage meter on the dash? I'd found that those dash displays are all over the map...especially when you're on trailing throttle or coasting!

I've gotten into the mid-70s but never into the 80s. My bike has a Madstad windscreen and Givi 33 litre hardbags.

3 full fill ups so far and over 80 on each. I'll fill it tomorrow and I am expecting a lower number because now that it's over 800 miles on the clock I was getting into it just a little bit more. Oddly, the mileage meter is showing around 75 mpg.

Your calculations are using the incorrect formula, hence your numbers are incorrect.

How to figure TCO per mile (total cost of ownership per mile)....It goes roughly like this:...

Ok, my pickup is not part of the ownership costs because I would keep that even if I bought the Subaru, so while it is an additional cost to keep it, it's a wash. The long term costs are also not part of my figures because I only ran the numbers for 5 years. I know that I could reasonably expect a Subaru to last me for 10 years and 200,000 miles and the bike for half that but, it just wasn't a part of the calculation because I expect things to change in 5 years, not 10.

All that said, the final decision came down to more of a time and enjoyment issue than a monetary one. I think the cash numbers will be close and I am tracking them faithfully, but if the bike cost a little more, I won't cry about it.;)

3 full fill ups so far and over 80 on each. I'll fill it tomorrow and I am expecting a lower number because now that it's over 800 miles on the clock I was getting into it just a little bit more. Oddly, the mileage meter is showing around 75 mpg.

As I expected the mileage went down but surprisingly only to 77 mpg.

Back