• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Colorado riders.

Cigar Mike

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
We are riding a few hundred mile rides on weekdays every week. If anyone is free on weekdays and would like to join, let me know. We leave from Centennial and go North and South from there up into the mountains.

Going South through Woodland Park, up the 67 to 285 and then Pleasant Park Road back to the 470 tomorrow.

Next week Fort Collins, Proudre Canyon to Walden, to Grandby, over Tralridge to Estes Park, Peak to Peak to Golden Gate Canyon and then down the 470.

Hi, I hope to arrive in Frisco on Tuesday the 6th of September.
I am sampling "the best of TAT" on the way, skipping all mud and boring gravel.

Any chance you/group are riding that week?
Could you suggest a service spot for spooning on a set of tube tires?
I am thinking my ATwin needs good 60/40 or more aggressive knobbies.

Colorado riders?you all out riding?
Can't blame you guys, area is the tops.I'll be in Trinidad going North to find camping spot till Tuesday.
Any suggestion welcome. Sunday look like the perfect day to see the passes.
Anyone?

Me and three friends rode up Pikes Peak yesterday. Going to see the Royal Gorge today and see where roads take us.You have beautiful country here. We're camping at Green Mountain falls.

Second that! I camped Great sand dunes NP last night.
Doing some parts of the COBDR and onto Frisco by Tuesday for RR.
No NCX sightings yet. I'll keep looking.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

There are too many possible rides in CO that I could not ride on this trip,
I'll just have to come back. A family issue had me cut this trip short one week.

Trip highlights were going over Engineer Pass (from Lake City to Silverton)

Moab UT Trip 036.jpg

When this photo was taken, little did I know what was in store for me on
the descent; hairpin turns of deep rocks and ruts where a dirt noob like
me should not dare ride. Adrenaline pumping and rear brake modulating
and all my concentration on which line to take through the rocky U-turns
had me completely exhausted when I made it down in one piece. I was glad
to get on the Million Dollar Hwy (550) and move on to Silverton, where I
met another Rally Red AT (manual) rider who just got his two weeks ago.
They were in a group of smaller bikes and rode from ID.

then riding Hwy141 from Naturita to Moab, UT

Moab UT Trip 084.jpg
Moab UT Trip 088.jpg

I was on what I consider offroad most of the day,
when I come upon this sign which made me chuckle:
Moab UT Trip 041.jpg

The Shinko705 (new when I started the trip from Atlanta)
were superb; no visible wear at all since I stayed mostly on
pavement.

Moab UT Trip 039.jpg

Now that you are an experience off road rider, once if ever I get my AT DCT like yours, we will have to go on a ride!

How do you tell an experienced good off road rider?

By The Scares, NOT Scars!

That was a great trip!

Thanks, OCR
Coming from you, it means a lot.
I gather you noticed the scars on my AT.
Yup, not babying the beast. Already has
matching scars on both sides. None of them
were actual drops, just low speed, unexpected naps. :p

DCTFAN, how is the AT's seat treating you on your long trip?

I ordered the low seat and found it very comfortable on daily 8,9 hour rides. There is a lot of room to shift around for comfort especially on the pavement. Off road the suspension can handle my 180,(now 170 lbs) with gear.

dctfan, how do you feel about the tubed tires? i am thinking of adding an at to the stable, only flats i ever had were on tubes tires.

i would already have one if they put those sexy spoked wheels they use in the vfr1200xd

dctfan, how do you feel about the tubed tires? i am thinking of adding an at to the stable, only flats i ever had were on tubes tires.

i would already have one if they put those sexy spoked wheels they use in the vfr1200xd

Can't say I like tubed tires, especially the rear because they are a pain to fix after a flat.
Just getting the tire on and off cannot be done easily unless you carry good tools.
I tried to put on the Shinko's myself, but the rear was so tough, I quit half way around the rim.
I was dreading a flat on my trip and reluctantly carried all the tools, but as luck would
have it, I had no flats in 3.4k miles.
The only thing I like about tubed tires is that you can pressure down for tough dirt/gravel roads
and easily up the pressure when back on pavement.
Oh, they are a bit more budget friendly and treads seem to last just as long.

Last edited:
Loving CO

Another mention of the Colorado riding experience is the free, or what they call
'dispersed' camping areas. Where can you find views like this and camp for free?
Every nite I managed to camp free, the next evening was a motel stay as a reward.

Moab UT Trip 032.jpg

I tried to light a 'Roman Candle' but failed.
Moab UT Trip 094.jpg

If there are any local Colorado riders who are interested in planning some meet ups lets sync up. If you are going to be in Colorado this year please post your plans and see if it is possible to get some rides setup if you are interested in that sort of thing or even just meet up for a cup of coffee.

If there are any local Colorado riders who are interested in planning some meet ups lets sync up. If you are going to be in Colorado this year please post your plans and see if it is possible to get some rides setup if you are interested in that sort of thing or even just meet up for a cup of coffee.
We are tentatively scheduled to stay in Ouray Chalet Inn on August 26th.
Before continuing on the TAT, most likely would add some additional day rides in the area.
Would love to meet local riders and go on 'local' rides lesser known to CO noobs.
There will be two of us on Africa Twins.
Please PM if you can make some time and any intel that we should be aware of traversing from Lake City to Ouray over Engineer Pass
would be awesome...

I couldn't get any work done if I lived in CO[emoji3]

Back