• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Clutch assembly ??

Nortwestrider

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm putting in a new clutch and I can't get it to work.
When I put the springs and push rod in do I tighten the 4 spring bolts down all the way ??
a65b9e17f525594a109f810e9bf9ea17.jpg

cfad017efb9da8466c5fa34b4c5a2f1e.jpg

When I do and then put the cover on the clutch arm just flops around with no tension.

Live life,be yourself !!!!.

Did you misplace the clutch pushrod that goes through the transmission mainshaft and pushes on the clutch from the inside?

I took pics as I took it apart ,put it back together the same way.But after the cover is bolted on the clutch arm has no tension.

Looks like you're missing what this diagram calls the clutch lifter rod, item 14.

2012 Honda NC700X AC CLUTCH (NC700X/XA) | Babbitts Honda Parts House

Without it the little cam on the inside of the clutch cover the cable rotates can't reach the center rod to disengage/engage (however you want to look at it) the clutch.

I'm not sure how that little pin/rod is held it place, but it's possible it fell out when you took the side cover off for the first time and you never noticed it. Which really sucks. I've never been a fan of this clutch design, I've always preferred the kind that DirtFlier referenced with the pushrod through the mainshaft. Simpler and easier to understand in my mind.

Last edited:
When I put the springs and push rod in do I tighten the 4 spring bolts down all the way ??

Yes. Per service manual:

Install the clutch springs, lifter plate/bearing and
clutch lifter plate bolts

Tighten the clutch lifter plate bolts to the specified
torque in a crisscross pattern in 2 or 3 steps.

• TORQUE:12 N·m (1.2 kgf·m, 9 lbf·ft)

Apply engine oil to the clutch lifter rod B sliding surface.

Install the clutch lifter rod B.

Install the right crankcase cover.

-Saturday

I took to plates all out and found that There is 1 fiber plate that is different and must go on top,I had it in the middle of the stack.

Do you know if all the fiber plates are stacked in the same direction ??.Or is the top plate rotated 1 notch ??.

Do you know if all the fiber plates are stacked in the same direction ??.Or is the top plate rotated 1 notch ??.

The book shows (3) different styles of fiber discs in the pack and has them labeled as A, B and C. It shows (1) type A, (1) type B, and (6) type C but I'm not sure I can describe the differences from the illustration. Are the ones you have stamped or labeled with a letter? It Looks Like A and B are on the outside and all of the type Cs are in the middle.

This is what the book says:
Apply engine oil to the clutch discs entire surface.
Install the spring seat, judder spring and clutch disc B to the clutch center.
Install the clutch discs C and clutch plates alternately, starting with the clutch plate.
Install the clutch disc A and pressure plate.
Install the clutch center assembly to the clutch outer

Note:
• Align the clutch disc A/C tabs with clutch outer slits.
• Align the clutch disc B tabs with clutch outer shallow slots.

Install the clutch assembly to the clutch outer guide.
Install the thrust washer.
Install the lock washer with its "OUTSIDE" mark facing out.
Apply engine oil to a new clutch center lock nut threads and seating surface.
Install the clutch center lock nut onto the mainshaft.
Hold the pressure plate with the special tool and tighten the lock nut to the specified torque.

TORQUE:128 N·m (13.1 kgf·m, 94 lbf·ft)

Stake the clutch center lock nut into the mainshaft groove.
Be careful not to damage the mainshaft threads.

From here on out it's just install the springs and lifter plate/bearing which you already know.

Good Luck

-Saturday

All my fiber disc are the same except for one,the odd ball " stock' one was on the outside.
Also my bike did not have a lock washer under the main dhaft nut just a flat washer .

Also my bike did not have a lock washer under the main shaft nut just a flat washer .

..I completely agree. I looked up the illustration and what they call a "lock washer" doesn't look anything like what you or I would call a lock washer. It looks just like a flat washer with the word "outside"stamped on it.

-Saturday

I looked up the OEM clutch on line and they only list 2 different fiber disc's,all are the same except the top one so I think I got those right.

The only advice that I have to offer is to be careful tightening the clutch spring bolts. 9 ft. lbs is a very low torque value and Honda clutch spring bolts snap off very easily if over-torqued. At least they did with the VTX1800 and Blackbird.

Back