• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Choose your biking buddies carefully

Personally I will not ride in group with people that I don't know well after nearly being taken out by a guy riding like he was Stoner attacking Lorenzo on the last corner

Facinating. The image of Eugene Stoner (designed the M16 rifle) and Fernando LLamas (famous actor) attacking each other is... colorful!

I often struggle with BIG groups because the peer pressure gets to me and then I (repeat I) begin to behave like a mad idiot. Going too fast, knee down etc.

However, after my children arrived, I have become a more responsible rider (aka boring and old).
I'd rather be "old and grumpy" and alive, than cool and dead in a body bag.

Choose your riding pals carefully and choose your friends wisely.
Not everyone who knows you is called a friend.
:p

I completely agree with you. There will never be a better partner in life than your wife. I really miss my wife not being able to ride anymore.3.jpg

SmileyYoungLady.jpg

00.jpg

Last edited:
I completely agree with you. There will never be a better partner in life than your wife. I really miss my wife not being able to ride anymore.

I wish my wife would ride. I'm going to have to get a big old road couch when I retire if she is coming along. :D

Naah, she just appreciates proper seat. I'm using same argument preparing my wife that one day we need to step up in the food chain and that she will love riding pillion even more :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

One thing I learned a long time ago riding with my wife, is to never argue with your wife. You just can't win, so why waste your wind doing it!8.jpg

SmileyWifeHappy.jpg

00.jpg

Last edited:
Very interesting reading this thread. I am fairly new to riding (still say "Driving my motorcycle" from time to time...kinda sounds dumb) and have never ridden with others. I want to for sure, but I just don't think I would find the peacefulness and freeing feeling I get from riding alone. I do ride with my wife, but only when I can convince her that she will get something out of it (although, I don't really blame her...that back passenger seat isn't the comfiest of them all). I wish she enjoyed it as much as I do. We even talked about getting a Grom or even a scooter for her to learn on, but then I think she only wants to learn to make me happy instead of enjoying it for herself. I'd much rather the latter. Like Rocker66 said, one of the best parts of a long ride is arriving home safely to a loving wife.

I have never commented on this thread and it might just be because I used to ride with the wrong groups. Maybe. That's all I'll say about that. Peer pressure and group mentality can and will get the best of most people. You may think your better and smarter but most of us cave. Lots of good advice in this thread. I'm turning 50 soon so getting in the older (not old) catergory. Gave up my CBR's and I'm am for my first time a much more responsible and smarter rider than I ever have been in my life. Plan to keep it that way.

That just felt like a speach at a AA meeting. :) Hi, My name is Chuck. I am a wreckless and inconsiderate motorcycle rider.

*cough* Hello folks...:eek:

I tend to avoid riding in a group like the plague. I can enjoy the camaraderie and all, but almost always, something goes weird with people when in a group, that I am never comfortable with. :(

I much prefer to go alone. That includes cross country. I don't care for group rides. Maybe one other bike, particularly off road.

Being a bit of a social misfit even the idea of riding in large groups sounds unappealing. Two or three people, sure. I could do that. Currently I ride with the wife (yes she has her own bike) and even that can be a challenge at times. She likes to cruise slow. I prefer a bit more speed (still legal) and cornering. Thankfully a SENA headset has really helped with all that.

As for longer trips, it's really hard to say how things are going to go if you've never traveled with them before. You could be sure close and best buds but road-tripping with people is a real test. I knew I found the right woman to marry when we were able to travel half way across the country and back (in a car, sorry) and it was FUN.

That's the key to me. If it's not fun it's work and if I'm not getting paid for it, screw that. I personally enjoy the Zen of riding alone.

Being a bit of a social misfit even the idea of riding in large groups sounds unappealing. Two or three people, sure. I could do that. Currently I ride with the wife (yes she has her own bike) and even that can be a challenge at times. She likes to cruise slow. I prefer a bit more speed (still legal) and cornering. Thankfully a SENA headset has really helped with all that.

As for longer trips, it's really hard to say how things are going to go if you've never traveled with them before. You could be sure close and best buds but road-tripping with people is a real test. I knew I found the right woman to marry when we were able to travel half way across the country and back (in a car, sorry) and it was FUN.

That's the key to me. If it's not fun it's work and if I'm not getting paid for it, screw that. I personally enjoy the Zen of riding alone.

I would say that I agree with you 100% but in my case it is often the wife that wants to ride faster

I prefer no pillions , camping gear takes their place , I like solo rides I don't race or rally , I've ridden in clubs, groups etc . My brother 10 years younger is quite a good riding touring companion.

Last edited:
I did a 3000 mile ride out to New York state this summer with two other riders, both of which I had ridden with twice before. The self appointed leader of the ride was gradually getting his panties in a wad due to his perception that the group was making his role as a leader extremely difficult. Rather than change leaders, or having a rider's meeting to kick around improvement ideas, one morning I was sat down and literally scolded for not keeping up with him and for making his life difficult. I thought, "Dude, I'm on vacation and I sure as hell don't need to be treated like this". I spit the group and rode on alone. The ride home was very pleasant and relaxing.

Yes, know your group and be prepared in case you need to ride on alone.

I do have to say, however, that the many riders from this forum that I've met at Arkansas and in the "Smokies", have generally been very good riding partners.

Last edited:
I have never ridden in groups other than a few times with one good friend back when he had a bike. I'm an introvert and tend to avoid groups of people like the plague, especially when I don't know most of the members. But I can relate to this "pick your riding partners carefully" idea in terms of bicycle touring. I once spent 9 weeks bicycle touring through Central America with a woman who drove me near insane before it was all over. I seriously think she had some mental issue. She'd "blow up" out of nowhere several times a day and then act as if nothing happened. This was over things like the speed at which I walked or drank water (too fast). I had met her a year earlier while solo touring the Pacific Coast and rode about 3 weeks with her and a couple of others, and did not see any of this behavior. I learned much later that she had been directing most of it to another guy in the group at times when I was not around to witness it.

It was the longest 9 weeks of my life, and a huge learning experience. I've done 5 or 6 tours since then, all solo with the exception of one with my girlfriend (who is awesome, but not really into bicycle touring). Going alone works great for me, whether it be on my motorcycle or bicycle. I love the freedom to start, stop, take breaks and decide the direction myself. There are no personality clashes and no disagreements over anything. And there is never any peer pressure to ride at a level I'm not comfortable with. I always take along some form of entertainment (book, laptop, whatever) and never get bored. And whenever I see a big group of bicyclists or motorcyclists on the road, I am always thankful I'm not riding in the midst of them. I imagine most of them are having a great time too, which is awesome. It's just not my thing.

Back