• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

choices to make.

johnakay

Site Supporter
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
my Tracer 900 is more or less sold. got a deposit on it.
now I'm having one of those make up your mind time :oops:
its either the yamaha Tracer 700 or the NC750S DCT.
tracer 700 old model but brand new going cheap @£6295 uk pounds.lovely bike bike had one before I bought the 900.
good for touring 2 up.
the NC750S dct(had the X model) what I like about this is the auto,frunk (no need for top box if not touring) hand brake ideal for taking pictures on a slope.
good on fuel and so is the tracer.
of course its down to a price
honda on the road price about £7400
yam/tracer 700 £6400
s-l1600.jpg

Attachments

• s-l1600 (2).jpg
    s-l1600 (2).jpg
    124.3 KB · Views: 23
Both are handsome bikes....I'm glad I don't have to make that decision!

I'd lean towards the Honda, but probably just because I have worked on Honda products so long, and know how they are built. I'm sure the Tracer is a fine machine, but the Honda would get my vote.

You could wait a few months and see what 2021 is going to bring to the European market....Many online motorcycle magazines are stating Honda may be coming out with an NC850 or an African Twin 850 for 2021....but either of the bikes you mentioned would be a good choice. The Tracer 700 is new to the USA this year, so most have not ridden it here in the states, so cant compare....

The frunk tips the scales for me; no tank bag or tail bag necessary. Not even a top box depending on what you wish to carry for those shorter rides. And the DCT means my left hand is always free to work a camera while rolling along. Or take a drink, etc.
And I no longer have to be so mindful of my footwear - will my toe fit under the shift lever? Is there enough flex in the ankle of this boot? Heck, I can wear any kind of boot or shoe now and just be comfortable without dealing with a lever. The DCT has been flawless and I haven’t missed the traditional shift at all. Once you really master the variables the DCT has to offer, it’s a real treat.

The Tracer has more power, not bad fuel economy though not as good as the NC, most likely better stock wind protection and lighting and suspension. Pretty light too. Weigh that against what the others have mentioned and what you actually want out of a bike. Don't forget seat and ergos.

...The trouble I have picking a bike is that nobody makes the one I want ; }

Last edited by a moderator:

Thanks Dave, that is one of the best articles i've ever read about the DCT. :{)

Will be looking forward to your review, likes and comparison. Yamaha makes a fine machine.

Curious, why get rid of the Tracer 900 just to get a Tracer 700? If the Tracer 900 had the DCT trans, I'd be all over it (left leg amputee). Last year I almost pulled trigger on a new Tracer 900 and was going to put an electronic shift system on it from Pro Shift in the UK, but that shifter system was gonna run over $3k, on top of a higher priced bike than the NC, so I opted to just stick to NC's for now.

the only good thing for me that is....
good torque ,motors a peach but at 60 mph I get this awful whining sound.
this a common fault on these 900's due to straight cut gears.
and the bike feels top heavy. nearly dropped it twice just pushing it out of the garage.
trying to maneuver it on narrow roads can be a bit tricky being its a tall bike and some of our country roads are quite narrow.
also the camber on these roads can be quite steep and tip toeing doesn't give much confident.
I only bought it for a trip to the scottish highlands and my intention was to sell it afterwards.

I've had the 700 before and I know its a good bike just ideal for me ,the torque is similar to the NC.
I dont have to rev its nuts off to get anywhere.
tracer 700 has more bhp but at the top end of the rev range for speed and I dont need that...80mph is plenty fast enough for me.
the NC750s dct is to but big savings put me towards the 700.
due to discontinued model or that style ,not keen on the new ones.
big bikes dont appeal to me.

DCT does carry a premium in price however if you are happy with riding the manual Yamaha then I’m sure that it’s equally good in terms of quality as the Honda - enjoy your new steed

Back