• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Check Engine light

DanH

Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi All

My Check Engine light came on during my commute this morning. What are the most common causes for this? There can't be that many sensors on this engine?

Regards
Dan

Hi All

My Check Engine light came on during my commute this morning. What are the most common causes for this? There can't be that many sensors on this engine?

Regards
Dan

Oh yes there are. If the MIL is still on, you can place the bike in neutral with the engine running and put the sidestand down to check the flash code of the MIL. The code can be looked up in the service manual to give you some info on what is going on.

The check engine light on........so far that's not been a common concern........so........there is not a common cause.

There are 18 DTC listed for the engine system.

If we have to pick a common problem..........communication to the meter ......has come up a few times. Second problem low voltage from weak battery and battery connections.

Since it is so easy to get the flash code if the MIL is still illuminated, I can't see trying to guess at a "common" cause. The only time mine lit up it was a bad VSS connection. No reason to think that this one is the same.

Hey.........if we get a enough guesses ....someone will get it right......there only 18 choices ;)

And like most things these days........it looks like it's easier to ask the Internet than actually reading the codes :D:D;)

Last edited:
Twice my engine light has come on. Both times the code was 8-long and 6-short. I tightened up the loose battery terminals and fixed the problem. Now for the other seventeen....

I'll check the flash codes. I didn't know how to do that. Thanks for the heads-up.

A couple months ago, I drained my battery by accident and it hasn't been the same since so that sounds like it might be the thing. The bike runs and sounds completely normal. I also haven't run the bike for more than 30 minutes at a time in quite a while so maybe the battery never fully recovered from that.

Last edited:
Oh yes there are. If the MIL is still on, you can place the bike in neutral with the engine running and put the sidestand down to check the flash code of the MIL. The code can be looked up in the service manual to give you some info on what is going on.

Thank you! I had no idea how to do that.

Being stuck to my bed right now, I can not get up to the shop manual to read the codes to you. However, the codes are all listed in the shop manual. When I can not find the codes in my shop manual, or I have read the code wrong, the proper preceducer to use is to yell: "Beemerpile - Help!"" -

For some strange reason, the electrical engineers seem to know a lot more on these matters than I ever will.

Last edited:
Back