• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Check Engine Light help!

TacomaJD

Reaction score
Visit site
Well. Changed oil, filter, and DCT filter the other night. Not my first time doing this, but first time doing this in this particular bike. That night, after changing oil, I crank it up on center stand and shifted into first gear, let it idle a bit, back to neutral, and cut it off. Today, I was gonna ride it down the road and back. Crank it up and the check engine light came on and wouldn't go off. Running just as normal as can be. Rode it down the road, shifts fine, runs fine, just like normal.

I need to know how to check the code it's throwing. I read on here something about riding it, then stopping, putting in neutral, then putting sidestand down and the check engine light should blink to give the code....well I tried that and the light just stays illuminated, doesn't blink at all no matter what you do.

It's a 2016 NC700X. I'd imagine it has the oem battery, so maybe that's it, throwing low voltage? It starts quickly just like normal, so maybe not.

Any advice or direction is very much appreciated.

20210805_191956.jpg

20210805_192013.jpg

I can’t advise further in how to read the code except to suggest consulting the service manual. However, generally, the last situation the bike was in before the MIL lit would be the first place to look for the cause. I wonder of putting the transmission in gear for a bit while on the centerstand could trigger an error. Probably not, since you didn’t say you engaged the clutch and made the wheel spin. Still, I don’t know why one would have a need put the DCT in first gear on the centerstand after an oil change

Another thought is if you had the lower cowl off, perhaps a wire was pulled loose, like maybe to the oxygen sensor.

Putting a DCT in gear on the centre stand and running the engine will throw a code.
I've done that a jillion times on my '15 DCT and have never thrown a code. I do that when I want to clean the chain with brush and cleaner.

DTCs (Diagnostic Trouble Code) for DCT and ABS do not affect the check engine MIL light.
Honda threw such a feature (MIL light on) into the PCM as an "Intermittent Failure", without worrying about an explanation.
For start, I suggest disconnecting the battery for a few minutes. Who knows? If it doesn't help, it might not hurt.

I can’t advise further in how to read the code except to suggest consulting the service manual. However, generally, the last situation the bike was in before the MIL lit would be the first place to look for the cause. I wonder of putting the transmission in gear for a bit while on the centerstand could trigger an error. Probably not, since you didn’t say you engaged the clutch and made the wheel spin. Still, I don’t know why one would have a need put the DCT in first gear on the centerstand after an oil change

Another thought is if you had the lower cowl off, perhaps a wire was pulled loose, like maybe to the oxygen sensor.
And my theory for putting in gear after an oil change, may be dumb and may not do anything at all, but here's why. I usually try to at least drive down the road and shift gears a few times just to get the new oil good and circulated. This time, I got the oil changed and was about to leave and go somewhere, so didn't want to drive it down the road. So I just put it in gear for a bit on center stand and turned it off.

Why I started doing this: changed oil in my other Nomad several years ago one night late after working 2nd shift. Didn't drive it or even crank it because it was late and I had close neighbors at my old house. Went to get on it to ride to work the next day, backed it out of the shop, crunk it up, pulled clutch in, kicked it into first gear, and it started to take off. Luckily I grabbed front brake and it finally stopped pulling. All I could think of was the clutch sticking or something, from draining oil after it had been sitting, without being ran before draining oil, and not being crunk right after filling new oil? No idea, so I've been weird about that ever since.

I've done that a jillion times on my '15 DCT and have never thrown a code. I do that when I want to clean the chain with brush and cleaner.
Yes, my mistake.
I was thinking of the gear indicator changing to a flashing horizontal bar if the rear wheel spins without the front wheel turning, not the MIL flashing.

And my theory for putting in gear after an oil change, may be dumb and may not do anything at all, but here's why. I usually try to at least drive down the road and shift gears a few times just to get the new oil good and circulated. This time, I got the oil changed and was about to leave and go somewhere, so didn't want to drive it down the road. So I just put it in gear for a bit on center stand and turned it off.

Why I started doing this: changed oil in my other Nomad several years ago one night late after working 2nd shift. Didn't drive it or even crank it because it was late and I had close neighbors at my old house. Went to get on it to ride to work the next day, backed it out of the shop, crunk it up, pulled clutch in, kicked it into first gear, and it started to take off. Luckily I grabbed front brake and it finally stopped pulling. All I could think of was the clutch sticking or something, from draining oil after it had been sitting, without being ran before draining oil, and not being crunk right after filling new oil? No idea, so I've been weird about that ever since.

I had a 2007 Kawasaki where the clutch would lock up tightly when it sat for a day or two. I had to push the bike manually in gear with clutch lever pulled in to break the clutch loose before attempting to start the engine. I’ve never had a Honda that behaved that way.

Yes, my mistake.
I was thinking of the gear indicator changing to a flashing horizontal bar if the rear wheel spins without the front wheel turning, not the MIL flashing.
must be on the 750 ... mine doesn't do that either.

You could try to disconnect the battery for a little while like noted above and see if that corrects it or switch the battery from your 2013 and see if that makes a difference. Kind of a pain, but process of elimination. Good luck, let us know what you find.

Don't worry.
There is no problem.
Drive for about 50 Kms and the check engine light will go away by its shelf.

That happened because the sensors of the wheels felt the rear moving and the front not moving.
This fact causes a confussion to the ECU and the check engine light comes on.

It happened to me too when it was new and i did some chain lubbing the old lazy fashion way (not reccomended, too many fingers injured).

Back