• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Check Engine Light and No Spedometer Display

Disastrous

Reaction score
Visit site
So my NCX has been problem free for nearly 4000 miles, and then yesterday, on the way home, I noticed that the check engine light was on and nothing was being displayed where the mph should be. To clarify, it was probably in that condition when I pulled away from work. I was on the HOV with no exit possible by the time I noticed so I rode all the way home while paying close attention for any other symptoms. I arrived home without incident, shut the engine off, turned the key off, and then started her back up again. Problem gone…for now? I rode to work this morning, also with no issues. Has anyone else experienced this or have any ideas?
Regards,
Mark

There was another member who had this problem and it ended up being a vehicle speed sensor connection. It is located on top of the transmission. The next time it happens, before you stop the engine, you can place the bike in neutral with the engine running and put the sidestand down to check the flash code of the MIL. The code can be looked up in the service manual to give you some info on what is going on.

Last edited:
If you take it to the dealer, tell them what happened, they can read the stored code with a scan tool or manually as described by beemer.........there most likely will be a stored error code..... likely speed sensor.

The CEL does not have to be on when at the dealer......the system stores the code. Often read with the service check connector shorted (see the service manual for detail) shorted means the two wires in the pig tail are connected together.

Last edited:
So my NCX has been problem free for nearly 4000 miles, and then yesterday, on the way home, I noticed that the check engine light was on and nothing was being displayed where the mph should be. ........

oh no! my X was the one ahead of yours on the assembly line... keep us (me) posted please

Back