• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Changing the counter shaft sprocket or rear wheel sprocket

pismocycleguy

Reaction score
Visit site
Has anyone added a smaller, 1 or 2 teeth less, counter shaft sprocket, or a larger, 2 or 3 teeth more, to the rear wheel sprocket, to give the NC700X 6 speed bike more get up and go from a dead stop?:confused:
If so, what was your experiences and opinion of this modification?
I would like a little more zip when starting off from a signal or stop sign!

I would keep the gearing as it is on the NC. It already has plenty of torque in the low RPM range, and changing the final drive ratio will only affect the overall fuel economy.

^ +1. I would keep the gearing stock. If I were to change it, I will go up 1 in the front sprocket and make the gearing a bit taller

Has anyone added a smaller, 1 or 2 teeth less, counter shaft sprocket, or a larger, 2 or 3 teeth more, to the rear wheel sprocket, to give the NC700X 6 speed bike more get up and go from a dead stop?:confused:
If so, what was your experiences and opinion of this modification?
I would like a little more zip when starting off from a signal or stop sign!

I will be going 2 up in the rear when i can get one. A little more ooomph off the line and outta corners wont hurt. Fuel economy for this bike will always be good unless you take it to a track day and flog it to death

If my strange 3,000 rpm in 6th thing doesn't go away and I find it truly unbearable, then I will definitely try a gearing change and see what happens.

I won't be changing for any other need, the NC feels just fine for me in that regard, acceleration-wise. I wouldn't even mind it being geared lower actually, but I hope to spend a lot of riding going relatively slow in first gear, so it probably would be a minimal addition to the rear sprocket that I would go for, if I'm forced to.

For what its worth, HealTech has a SpeedoHealer listed for the NC.

HealTech Electronics Ltd. - Makers of the SpeedoHealer, GIpro, X-TRE, FI Tuner Pro, Brake Light Pro, MM5, OBD Tool

Control unit is the SH-V4 and the wiring harness kit is the SH-H05.

http://www.healtech-electronics.com/download/SHv4_Application_list_en.pdf

SHv4-kit_logo_500.jpg

They are also offering a gear indicator.

For what its worth, HealTech has a SpeedoHealer listed for the NC.

HealTech Electronics Ltd. - Makers of the SpeedoHealer, GIpro, X-TRE, FI Tuner Pro, Brake Light Pro, MM5, OBD Tool

Control unit is the SH-V4 and the wiring harness kit is the SH-H05.

http://www.healtech-electronics.com/download/SHv4_Application_list_en.pdf

SHv4-kit_logo_500.jpg

They are also offering a gear indicator.

What does this posting have to do with changing the sprocket sizes for quicker acceleration from a dead stop position?
I am really not concerned about the speedometer's accuracy!
The information is of interest, but not about the subject of this thread.
IS this what they call HIJACKING a thread?????

What does this posting have to do with changing the sprocket sizes for quicker acceleration from a dead stop position?

Gearing affects speedometer accuracy on the NC, so it is not unrelated. It is possible that someone considering a gearing change might not know of this or what to do about it. So, in that regard, it could have been helpful information. What is not possible is for someone to read your mind and know what you are or are not concerned about. I don't see that "your thread" has been hijacked.

I would consider going to a lower gear for off road riding, now that I can correct the speedo.

Wow. Sensitive.

It was an attempt to be helpful. Sorry I offended so seriously.

Hi Heavy I'm sure that anyone considering changing their sprockets would find your post helpful. I know when we changed the sprockets on Sue's previous Hornet the speedo reading was a consideration

Just changed mine from a 43 rear to a 45 to give a little more oomph out of corners. I'm a big guy so this helps to ease the strain on the engine. No real notice in rpm increase. Maybe 100 rpm more than stock at the same speed and reads a little higher on the speedo than I'm actually travelling at which helps keep me safe with police. Also should help with that lazy 6th gear too!!!!;)

Last edited:
For all you dct guys, just dropped front sprocket one tooth to a fifteen, from the stock sixteen. This is a very nice change, d mode works much better with less chain snatch, and lugging, and motor has better pulling power. It is more fun to ride with the sprocket change. Speedo is off 4 mph at 60 mph on the slow side. I will leave it this way, makes me think i am going faster then i really am. Cant tell you the rpm changes, had them on a piece of paper but lost the paper when i opened the trunk at 60, oops. When i install new sprockets and chain will go up four on rear, and back to 16 on the front, and keep the 15 for off road use, in Colorado on some of the high passes would have liked a little more pulling power when loaded. Dale

thanks for the info dale.
has this got any affect on mpg ,no doubt it will but by how much?
mpg is important to me due to our in the country side petrol stations are closing down in a lot of villages so we don't want to get stranded in middle of no where.

Just changed mine from a 43 rear to a 45 to give a little more oomph out of corners. I'm a big guy so this helps to ease the strain on the engine. No real notice in rpm increase. Maybe 100 rpm more than stock at the same speed and reads a little higher on the speedo than I'm actually travelling at which helps keep me safe with police. Also should help with that lazy 6th gear too!!!!;)

Great advice!

I swapped out my stock 43T rear sprocket for a 45T. There was enough chain adjustment . . . made a big difference to me.

It is only a 4% gear ratio change . . . but, really improved the mid range acceleration. Took it for an hour ride in the fog and drizzle . . . Did not want to return! I still only use 6th gear on the highway . . . 5th has much much better acceleration. I am guessing it feels more like a 750X now.

Has anyone installed the speedohealer on the DCT? I'd be up for installing, but I'm not as big fan of cutting/splicing the factory wiring. The manual NC700x shows a plug in play model, I'll reach out to healtech and see what they say.

Last edited:
For personal preferences, i've dropped the rear sprocket from stock (NC700XA) to 39 teeth.
I preferred to use Honda sprockets, although the aftermarket also offers rear and front sprocket alternatives. The RPM drop of 9% at 100 kph (sorry folks, "62 miles an hour") fits with my desire to lower rpm at nominal destination velocity.

Although the OP asks about the reverse gearing change (increasing rear sprocket size), any change is a trade off. For example, i'm grinning in my helmet about the cruising speed rpm drop of approximately 300, yet also noticing the difference in the 'taller,' first gear, which makes parking lot trolling at idle speed somewhat trickier.

Like tires, oil and underwear choices, it's a personal preference.

Back