• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Changing brake lines on ABS 2018

FOR FUTURE READERS THAT MAY STUMBLE ON TO THIS POST:

Just to clarify this brake bleeding procedure or process………the HONDA manual does not show or require a special HONDA tool or Scan tool or code reader to bleed conventional brakes or ABS. There is no mention of exercising or cycling the ABS unit. Even when a complete new ABS unit is installed.
Picture below is typical of the Honda manuals, where replacing the ABS unit referred back to hydraulic brake in this 20-8. Where the typical vacuum bleed is used.
Example just completed a brake fluid exchange on a VFR1200x. There is a sequence of bleeding with combined brakes. No special process………

9BE438D9-E7EC-4B78-8079-2451232866F7.jpeg

Also FWIW, I put some top quality custom braided lines on my NC about 6 months ago and there is absolutely zero change in braking feel.

To clarify, it sounds like you changed the lines yourself, was it something you would do yourself again or was it something you found to be a pain once started?
I would totally do it again, it was easy! Just take your time, be extra careful, and cover up the frunk and other painted parts with a towel. Have lots of paper towel or blue shop towel ready to deal with any spills or splashes. (Brake fluid ruins paint).

I only have one regret - which is that I chipped off a bit of the anodized blue finish on the rear banjo bolt for the master cylinder. Really minor thing, but I notice it!

I would totally do it again, it was easy! Just take your time, be extra careful, and cover up the frunk and other painted parts with a towel. Have lots of paper towel or blue shop towel ready to deal with any spills or splashes. (Brake fluid ruins paint).

I only have one regret - which is that I chipped off a bit of the anodized blue finish on the rear banjo bolt for the master cylinder. Really minor thing, but I notice it!
Thank you so much, going to go ahead for the same reasons, i.e. high mileage and fit and forget.

FOR FUTURE READERS THAT MAY STUMBLE ON TO THIS POST:

Just to clarify this brake bleeding procedure or process………the HONDA manual does not show or require a special HONDA tool or Scan tool or code reader to bleed conventional brakes or ABS. There is no mention of exercising or cycling the ABS unit. Even when a complete new ABS unit is installed.
Picture below is typical of the Honda manuals, where replacing the ABS unit referred back to hydraulic brake in this 20-8. Where the typical vacuum bleed is used.
Example just completed a brake fluid exchange on a VFR1200x. There is a sequence of bleeding with combined brakes. No special process………

View attachment 49745
Thanks.

I also installed them, and I love them. A lot of people feel that the rubber hoses are life-of-vehicle, and that's totally fine, however I was taught that rubber ones are life-limited parts that need replacement, whereas stainless braided hoses are not, so I decided to replace them and be done with it forever.

Thanks for the clarification. I definitely agree this is not a concern, and yes you are right that the volume not moved through (without actuating the ABS unit) is going to be very tiny. The clarification is helpful. I should have said that some of the fluid in the ABS will not move without the tool to run the ABS modulator.

My point is that doing anything special to modulate the ABS (like two fluid changes in a row, or buying a manufacturer tool, if avablile) is not really worth it, unless there is air trapped in that part of the system that needs to be bled!
Re: getting to the front master cylinder brake hose that terminates behind the yoke, can I ask how you went about it? Did you have to remove the airbox housing?

Back