• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

changing air filter little bit complicated...

W

wildeone

[video=youtube;6ISUYCi99Ng]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ISUYCi99Ng[/video]

It is a pain, but I would suggest a K &N or BMC. That way you would only have to check it every 25,000-50,000 miles depending on where you ride.

Even with the vid speeded up at the end...... in still looks like a PITA! Methinks the dealer when it comes time.

I've done the air filter twice now. It's what I call a fiddly job, but I don't mind it so much. ...unless it's 110+ outside, and a similar temp inside my garage...

I would rather do the air filter than check or adjust the valves on this bike, and this bike is cake, relatively speaking, for valve checks. They should still use hydraulic lifters, but as far as manually-adjusted valves go, this bike is super easy.

Are you folks seeing significantly dirty air filters at the Honda specified intervals?

Based on my riding style, riding environment, and observing the size of the air filter relative to the engine displacement, I've decided to inspect mine at 24,000 miles.

For me, it depends in part upon whether I've had to ride during/through a haboob. Also, I tend to have lots of weed seeds and other significant 'stuff' in the pleats by the time I service or change the filter. I changed the first filter at ~12,000 miles, and this time at ~14,000 more, mainly because I was going to be away from home and on the bike for a couple months and wanted to have everything fresh and ready for a zero-maintenance experience. :)

All that said, I run a K&N which has lots more surface area than the stock filter, and while clearly dirty, it wasn't likely near 'needing' to be serviced. So, perhaps it will work fine to go to at least the factory-specified interval, or maybe as far as you're planning to go, next time. ..so long as I can avoid the dusty haboobies...
:)

I use the K&N filter also. You will be able to tell when your miles per gallon go down, clean the air filter. I ride some in the dirt, so I have to clean every 12,000 miles.

On the road a few years back I got caught in a dust storm. It was really bad. On a Saturday evening, so no way to get another filter from any dealership. Had I not had the K&N filter, I would have spent a couple of days stuck where the dust storm happened. Lucky, I had a K&N. Just cleaned the K&N and I was on my way the next morning.

I can't imagine everything going back straight if I did that...!

Good instructional video, although not 100% clear in all places - what two pieces did he remove at 1.41? Seemed to be trim or infill packing.

Respect to him though, stopping at the side of the road to do it!

Did mine twice, change it every 7.000km.
I ride in VERY dusty environment either on or offroad.

First time was a bit tricky, second time check the vídeo only in a few steps and maybe next one will not need the vídeo.

It is very basic, but lots of steps to be done and first time to be honest I was not so comfortable when saw the bike naked on that front end but it came out well, no extra bolts in my hand after the job done :D

what two pieces did he remove at 1.41? Seemed to be trim or infill packing.

They came out from underneath that top plastic cover, and he paused to show each of them, right?
Those pieces hold the 2 cables in their correct places/routes, that open the trunk and the rear seat. It's very important to get the cables routed correctly and those pieces back on correctly when you're reassembling things, otherwise you'll have a harder time opening the trunk & rear seat (for refueling). You might even bend the key or break the cables.

Those were items that deserve more attention in a 'how-to' type of piece, and are part of why I find the job fiddly. It's still not hard, per se, but it's fiddly.

I've done the air filter twice now. It's what I call a fiddly job, but I don't mind it so much.

+1, done it 4x now (2x on mine, 2x on a buddy's), it's not as bad as it looks, you can do it in 30 minutes easy (which is too long for a filter, I agree). I think you only need one allen wrench and a Phillips head screwdriver. Like MZ5 said, the fiddliest bit is the guides for the frunk and rear seat cables -- pay attention to how those are on before you take them off.

I'm changing at 20k mile intervals and they're not filthy, but ready to be changed. Could stretch it to 25k mile depending on conditions I'm sure.

trey

This may be slightly off topic, but has anyone had their MIL lamp (E.F.I. light) come on due to running a K&N? This happened to my 2013 Fiat 500 Abarth after installing a K&N and I had to switch to a BMC filter from Italy which is apparently better constructed and uses a higher grade oil which doesn't mess with the sensors. I recently installed a K&N in my 2015 NC700XD and am a little nervous but I think it should be fine...

There are several designs in this NC that strike me as a little odd, the complex air filter change being one of them.

K&N are race filters, they flow more air, including dirt, than conventional paper filters. I will never use them.

They came out from underneath that top plastic cover, and he paused to show each of them, right?
Those pieces hold the 2 cables in their correct places/routes, that open the trunk and the rear seat. It's very important to get the cables routed correctly and those pieces back on correctly when you're reassembling things, otherwise you'll have a harder time opening the trunk & rear seat (for refueling). You might even bend the key or break the cables.

Those were items that deserve more attention in a 'how-to' type of piece, and are part of why I find the job fiddly. It's still not hard, per se, but it's fiddly.

Cheers, I agree. Those pieces just seemed to appear from underneath the top cover. Given the importance of correctly refitting them, and if they go back in reverse order to what we see in the video, it can't be a job done 'blind' surely....

There are several designs in this NC that strike me as a little odd, the complex air filter change being one of them.

K&N are race filters, they flow more air, including dirt, than conventional paper filters. I will never use them.

Completely agree on the K&N. Hold one up to a bright light some time. You can see light shining through. Very poor engineering on Hondas part. Air cleaner change should be a 5 minute affair.

Back