• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

changing air filter little bit complicated...

I would really like the air filter change to be simpler & quicker, too. OTOH, since valve clearance checks are supposed to happen twice as frequently air filter changes (apparently one or two model years are exceptions to this?), it makes sense for them to spend more effort making valve checks quick/simple vs. air filter changes, IMO.

I'm going to have to go look at my NC700S model now to see how hard it is to access compared to the X. One of the reasons I wanted to go naked after my last bike (Suzuki gsx750f or Katana to those in the U.S.) was the amount of plastic that had to come off before I could do any work!

Completely agree on the K&N. Hold one up to a bright light some time. You can see light shining through. Very poor engineering on Hondas part. Air cleaner change should be a 5 minute affair.

i suppose the jap engineers could not figure out how to put this air filter inside the engine block. Looks like the africa twin is even worse with clips,spacers, and jigsaw pieces. This NC700x will be my last motorcycle. I do not enjoy the tedium that the new jap shit requires. Only thing left for Honda to do is make 3d printed screws and bolts that require a dna signature to remove.

Last edited:
There are several designs in this NC that strike me as a little odd, the complex air filter change being one of them.

K&N are race filters, they flow more air, including dirt, than conventional paper filters. I will never use them.

My Nissan truck started to idle badly, so I looked at the air filter[I bought the truck used] and discovered it was a K&N. So I cleaned and re oiled it using K&N products, and while I was at it took a look at my MAS [mass air sensor] , just 2 screws. It was covered in sooty oil. Jot some cleaner and problem solved. For awhile, as it is idling badly again. I suspect the K&N oil is fouling the MAS. I did not over oil it as I suspected the might be the problem. I'm going to buy a paper filter and clean the MAS again. I don't know if this could be an issue with the 700x as I don't think we have a MAS, but I'm not taking the chance as the filter needs to be changed so infrequently.

Last edited:
Excellent Point Andy.......I had not thought about "that" and was ready to pull the trigger on a K&N. I think I'll stay with a dry element (I'm due an air filter inspection, at 10k miles, and no paperwork on what has been done to the bike by the PO when I purchased a month ago).

Question for the masses (and this sorta pertains to the same area of the Frunk): what is the little trap door in the bottom of the frunk used for (i.e. is the covered area suppose to be for my Owner's Manual.....which is MIA)???

At 30,000 miles, my not yet plugged filter took me 30 minutes to change. No MPG change with new filter so I could have waited longer.
On road riding only

In a similar way as T S N mentioned, I changed my NC stock air filter at 24,000 miles even though it appeared to have ample life left. Given the low frequency of filter replacements, the air filter change is not a big deal. Assuming you are not riding on dusty roads or off road, you will probably have gone through other maintenance tasks like a valve adjustment, a drive chain, and a brake fluid change before the air filter absolutely needs replacement.

Changed my air filter yesterday, took longer than anticipated because I forgot to reconnect the 2-wire plug. Basically doubled the work as it was completely back together with a bright engine alert light on the dash. Ugh. My bad.

Old filter, at 25,000 miles, allowed no light thru when held up to an Arizona sun. It was time.

As savy Honda engineers are , they definetly could of had a different approach to the blasted air filter. It would have made a big impression on possible buyers.

As savy Honda engineers are , they definetly could of had a different approach to the blasted air filter. It would have made a big impression on possible buyers.

That’s true, and I don’t disagree. However, the seat is an engineering disaster and readily visible to potential buyers, yet they are undeterred. I’d guess the hidden air filter is far from their minds when making a purchase decision.

I find that after changing the air filter on a GL1800, the NC700X job is pretty simple, and I don’t complain so much.

If it's a Jap Bike I'm looking to buy, I never even consider the Maint Tasks involved down the road prior to purchasing.......maybe I'm just naïve?? Now, if it's a Ducati, BMW, or maybe a KTM........"yes", I would look into maintenance requirements (and what it would cost me at a dealer) before I jumped on it......not that I'd be jumping on any of those in the first place. I grew up with Jap bikes, and that's probably the only kind I will ever own.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well on most bikes you have to remove the fuel tank, which means disconnecting fuel line, pump supply and fuel level sensor. This is hardly better...

Honestly I don't understand the fuss. Most of us never ride a single bike long enough to have to change the air filter at all or maybe one time during ownership. Then it's a 30 minute job taking your time. The NC is super easy to maintain even to the letter of Honda's recommendations.

It's a matter of simplicity and ease of maintenance. Divert all you wish , Honda could have done much better. Regardless of one's proposed time table , it actually should be minutes rather half an hour or longer ( no snags etc). The seat will take awhile to figure out.....riding a bit , as for all bikes. Like my 700x , yes , but a PIA design is just that , no excuses nor diversion.

OK, what is this with the seat ???? (Potential buyer here of a 2013 non-DCT model)

We'd be going off topic here, but regardless of whether the seat foam happens to fit your butt or not, the general consensus is that it's somewhat uncomfortable because the seat surface slopes forward. A popular mod, aside from aftermarket replacement seats (many of which still don't fix the slope) is to raise the front of the seat. See and discuss here: Seat mod......slope change

Back to the air filter topic, although Honda specs an air filter change every 12,000 miles, I have no problem with it lasting at least 24,000 miles and thus change it then. YMMV depending on environment.

Last edited:
OK, what is this with the seat ???? (Potential buyer here of a 2013 non-DCT model)
Riding for a ways the seat is sloped and bunches your pants and tightens up in sensitive places.
Best fix is pictured below
3487bc3121e107d372576bf0359d7de0.jpg
d6c86abc95e2729537c9413730db2b5f.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Back