• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Chain life

I've had both happen on my NC, the links would get stuff spots (multiple places and stiff enough that you could hear and kind of feel it when riding) the other is when it stretches beyond what you can adjust on the swing arm, it got so lose that it actually fell off (my commute to work is 60 miles, 58 of that being freeway and it fell off on a two lane road a block from my place of work) luckily if it's lose enough to come off it'll go back on [emoji16]

I rode home driving like grandpa and parked it until I replaced the chain

This is the first motorcycle I've owned and the first I've worked on, so I've made some rookie mistakes, live and learn

Lol awesome! I know what to look for now!

Another reason to replace it is if it gets inconsistent: if slack changes dramatically as you spin the rear wheel, it's overdue for replacement.

Buying new chain/sprockets. Is the DID xring chain really better than the JT brand? $20+ difference.
Who knows, probably not much of a difference. I asked the guy at sprocket center the difference between the DID VX3 and the RK XSO and all he could tell me was that the DID was far more popular. So I ordered the DID VX3 in gold finish with the Superlite rear black sprocket and Superlite front sprocket from them, $154 shipped. Not bad at all.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I ordered the JT chain & sprocket combo a couple or few years ago for my NCX. THE JT CHAIN WAS TOTAL GARBAGE. I not only do not recommend it, I actively recommend _against_ it. It’s no good, and the $20 savings isn’t worth the severely shorter lifespan.

For the record, Paulplex bought a DID chain, VX2 if I recall correctly, and with only something like 5k miles on it, the o rings were splitting and coming out of the chain. Crazy things can happen to any of the budget chains I guess.

I just ordered and recently received a new DID VX3 chain and had it installed for my Yellowstone ride. It adjusted quickly and worked great so far with 2k miles on it. We'll see what kind of mileage i can get out of it. I got about 17k out of the original chain... so time will tell. :{)

You bought the exact same chain re-branded as VX3 at a higher cost. You define budget.
There's literally no point to be made there.

The VX2 (older model regardless of changes) was "out of stock" on the main websites I regularly do business with. VX2 is on its way out, enter the VX3. No matter what changes, no matter even if they simply relabeled it like a newer model just so they could charge more for it, doesn't change the fact that it's among the cheapest (to purchase) chains in 520 pitch. I wanted to buy sprockets and chain, and Sprocket Center doesn't even list the VX2 as available anymore, so I bought the VX3, woopty doo. The kit was $144, but I paid $10 upcharge for gold finish on chain. The gold chain by itself would have been $86 if bought separately. Still seems pretty "budget chain" to me, no matter what label they put on it. They could call it the Super Deluxe Wheel Spinny Thing 5000, yet still all that matters is it's price point and quality.

Given Paulplex's experience with his VX2, I'm not sold at all on the quality yet, because his chain clearly shows what can happen even when properly cared for. Others run it and have no issues. I obviously felt good enough about it to spend my money on it, but also realize the NC does not demand much from a chain, so there's no need to spend on a high end chain, just to try to nurse it along for a few extra thousand miles. I'd rather toss a cheaper one (you know, a budget chain) and replace.

Exactly the point to be made.

I just called DID to avoid all the assumptions. It is indeed the same chain, remodelled as the VX3, but they upped the rating to safely being able to handle 800cc over the previously stated 750cc. They had to "change" something, right? But don't fix it if it ain't broke. VX2 had been out for a while, was time to change it up a bit and "re-market" it.

Anyways, the VX2 is officially no longer being produced which is why it's out of stock on most websites. The VX3 is its successor and apparently they just haven't updated their website to replace the VX2 yet. Maybe if it wasn't a budget chain and they stood to reap higher profits from marketing a new and improved higher end model, they'd be more worried about updating their website. Regardless I'm sure fairly soon, their website will be updated.

People generally search dealer websites for chain models anyways, because PRICE is a key factor in deciding which chain to buy. The information on the manufacturer's website is less important than getting their product out to the dealers and the dealers updating the information on their websites first to keep generating sales when moving to a "new model".

Last edited:
Back