• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Chain and Sprocket lifespan

Robert2289

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi, have just joined the forum and am about to buy a 750X, a particular bike I’m looking at has done 12000 miles and I was wondering if anyone could advise when the chain and sprockets would normally need replacing?

many thanks, Robert

Welcome to the forum, Robert.

You will get a wide variety of answers to your question. The lifespan of the chain and sprockets will depend on the quality of the parts, and the maintenance routine. For example, a stock chain that is (needlessly) brush cleaned rigorously might last only 3000 miles before it is damaged, while a gently treated higher quality aftermarket chain with an automatic oiler could go 30,000 miles.

The chain that Honda installs on new bikes is a lower quality type chain. It may have a 10,000-12,000 mile life, but better aftermarket chains will last longer.

I think a rule of thumb would be aftermarket chain life 15,000 miles, OEM sprocket life 30,000 miles. However, my intervals are somewhat longer than that. I'm at 55,000 miles and my original rear sprocket hardly shows any wear. You would need to determine replacement intervals based on your own component inspections.

My guess is that people working for companies that profit from selling chains and sprockets with tell you to change the sprockets every time the chain is replaced, but my experience shows that is totally unnecessary.

Welcome to the forum, Robert.

You will get a wide variety of answers to your question. The lifespan of the chain and sprockets will depend on the quality of the parts, and the maintenance routine. For example, a stock chain that is (needlessly) brush cleaned rigorously might last only 3000 miles before it is damaged, while a gently treated higher quality aftermarket chain with an automatic oiler could go 30,000 miles.

The chain that Honda installs on new bikes is a lower quality type chain. It may have a 10,000-12,000 mile life, but better aftermarket chains will last longer.

I think a rule of thumb would be aftermarket chain life 15,000 miles, OEM sprocket life 30,000 miles. However, my intervals are somewhat longer than that. I'm at 55,000 miles and my original rear sprocket hardly shows any wear. You would need to determine replacement intervals based on your own component inspections.

My guess is that people working for companies that profit from selling chains and sprockets with tell you to change the sprockets every time the chain is replaced, but my experience shows that is totally unnecessary.
Yep, what he said ^^. Look at the chain, if the lower part of it has links that are all kinked up instead of (mostly) straight, then the chain is nearing the end of it's life. The sprockets are steel and last quite a while, I'd guess at least 2-3 chains' lifespans. Some say if they change chains, they also change sprockets too, but in my opinion, I don't feel that's necessary. Doesn't mean that either is right, it's purely personal preference. I'd say if it's the stock chain, with 12k miles on it, it's probably due a new chain. I have 2 NC's and I changed chains on both at around 10k miles. Sprockets on both, however, still looked new. Plenty life left.

Chains for these aren't expensive either. You can buy a DID VX3 520 chain, which is what a lot of members here run (I run this chain on both my bikes), for around $85. Of course, if you do it yourself, you will need a chain tool, which a decent one can be had for around $60-80. Much cheaper to do yourself, but can be an aggravating task if you aren't used to working on your own stuff. Well, only if you use a rivet style master link. If you choose to use the clip style link, you don't need a chain tool to install the new chain, and the old chain can be removed with an angle grinder, a small diameter punch, and a hammer. But I'm not a fan of the clip links, however, several members here have used them for many miles without issues, although there are some reports of the clip link failing too. Again, all personal preference there too.

With a lot of care and attention I got 33,000kms from OEM chain and sprockets. All were replaced as a set. I ride briskly but not agressively.

Like the guys have said, steel sprockets should last a good while (aluminum not so much). You probably need a chain at 12 or fairly soon thereafter but sprockets “should” be good (look for “hooking” of the teeth-when you see it, you need sprockets).

Back