• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Cell phone user nearly got me today

MichaelJohn

Reaction score
Visit site
A little earlier today I was waiting at an intersection and when the light turned green I cautiously proceeded. I am hyper aware of people running red lights, people not paying attention etc. so I don't just take off without checking. Just as I was entering the intersection the car on the left waiting at the red light took off and I slammed on my brakes just in time to avoid hitting her as did the car coming from my opposite direction. She had a cell phone glued to her ear (illegally) and a small child in the passenger seat. I was pretty pissed so I chased after her and when I caught up I yelled at her that she had run the light. She had a horrified look on her face and apologized profusely. She was so totally distracted by her cell phone conversation that I think that when she saw movement in the intersection she just subconsciously figured it was time to go. She had no idea that she had run a red light.

This is the thing I fear most on a motorcycle. I'm a very cautious rider and my personal risk taking is well-calculated. However what scares me is what I cannot control - like distracted drivers. This is the second time that a cell phone user nearly got me. Unfortunately, we can be doing everything right and still get taken out. Be careful out there fellas (and gals).

I love ticking off the drivers behind me when the light goes green because I am exaggeratedly checking L-R-L to ensure there isn't a cross traffic "runner" barreling down on me. I'll take all the honks in the world and then smile and point when the runner comes racing through as if to say, "You're welcome, I just saved your life too. Have a good day."

Good to see you are still around to tell the story mate. I tend to stay behind the first car at traffic lights for exactly that reason. We can lane filter here in Sydney (Aus) legally but I nearly always put myself behind the first car for that reason.

Back