• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Can Anyone Compare the NC700X to a Vstrom 650?

Lord la la

Reaction score
My Heart is in Modesto, but my *** is in Pacific P
Visit site
So I'm looking for a rider only touring/ adventure bike and the Vstrom 650 is at the top of my list. Can anyone make a direct comparison between the WeeStrom and the NC700X ?

Any insights appreciated...

FWIW I weigh 140 lb., wear full riding gear and plan to mount saddlebags and a Topcase. Would the Honda be a better choice than the Suzuki?

I have just come from a 650 V Strom to the 700X. My advice would be to test the Honda yourself as they are very different bikes. The Honda to me is a firmer but much more stable ride, in fact the difference on a windy motorway is dramatic, the Honda is just not affected by crosswinds the way the V Strom is. In terms of carrying weight I also find the X much less affected by say taking a pillion than the V Strom, which on the standard rear shock was dreadful when fully loaded. I also much prefer the power characteristics of the Honda, pulling cleanly from much lower in the rev range and feeling less 'busy' at my preferred cruising speed (70-80mph). Add in perfect fuelling on the X compared to so so on the Suzuki and 20mpg (UK) better for the Honda to me there is little on the plus side for the V Strom. My wife finds the Honda a harsher ride as pillion on the Honda, and I would agree on a bumpy road the V Strom is more compliant, but she likes the fact that I am much more confidant on the Honda in heavy slow traffic as its just so well balanced in those situations. But no doubt some V Strom owners would argue with all this so do make the comparison yourself if you can.

I've had both, and they are both great bikes...the X gets better MPG, the Strom is quicker but both are very competent bikes....the X suites me better, but everyone is different...

Rider magazine wrote an article about that.
You can find it HERE.
It's close to what you're looking for, but I didn't read it all the way through.

Last edited:
Thanks StratTuner...exactly what I was looking for, and (disappointingly) what I expected to read after having a "Wee".

Thanks PCBlock... I appreciate your good advice to testride one, but that seems to be a difficult proposition at most dealers. Even those that do allow the testride limit it to a quickie, making comparisons unreliable.

Thanks also Huck369...gotta love that Jackel! I've owned two Guzzis. 01 v11 Sport as well as a Coppa Italia.

I appreciate everyone's advice. I'm looking to get off a very nice Ducati Multistrada 620 (see my ad in the trade section) and get two bikes at different ends of the spectrum, like the VStrom/NC700X and KTM Duke 690. All this is happening as I'm preparing to move to Santa Monica CA, so I'm not in a rush to do anything immediately. Truth be told, if the MTS goes to SoCal with me I won't be disappointed.

Welcome to So. Cal! If you're moving here from outside our hallowed borders.
Mr_Krabs lives near you, as I recall. He's very knowledgable about engines. Had fine conversation with him on our last ride together. He's a good man to know.

LLL,

I hesitate to reply because I have not owned a Wee so my response is not grounded in experience but I have test ridden one twice and given my short 29" inseam and 150 lbs weight the Wee is higher to sit on and it carries its center of gravity higher than the NC. This is very apparent when you push it up off the side stand. It is top heavy compared to the NC. I am sure you would get used to this - my other bike is 721 lbs and you feel it pushing off the side stand but it is 250 lbs heavier and to be expected. The Wee is just about the same weight as the NC so the extra effort is apparent given the same wet weights. Both bikes are very competent and every rider's needs and desires differ. That is why both have a following.

Thanks also Huck369...gotta love that Jackel! I've owned two Guzzis. 01 v11 Sport as well as a Coppa Italia.

I also have a 750 Breva....owned 5 Guzzis so far, sounds like we have similar tastes...hope thigs work out so you get the bikes you're looking for... :)

So I'm looking for a rider only touring/ adventure bike and the Vstrom 650 is at the top of my list. Can anyone make a direct comparison between the WeeStrom and the NC700X ?

Any insights appreciated...

FWIW I weigh 140 lb., wear full riding gear and plan to mount saddlebags and a Topcase. Would the Honda be a better choice than the Suzuki?

It depends what fits your needs. The DL650 was on the top of my list until the NCX came out. I knew I would have to make either bike fit my needs so I went with better fuel mileage and lower center of gravity and easier maintenance (Valve adjustments).

NC700X fuelly paint.jpgDL650 Fuelly.jpg
Suzuki DL650 MPG Reports | Fuelly

Honda NC700X MPG Reports | Fuelly

It depends what fits your needs. The DL650 was on the top of my list until the NCX came out. I knew I would have to make either bike fit my needs so I went with better fuel mileage and lower center of gravity and easier maintenance (Valve adjustments).

View attachment 5967View attachment 5968
Suzuki DL650 MPG Reports | Fuelly

Honda NC700X MPG Reports | Fuelly

Same!

I was seriously shopping the DL650, (black 2011 ADV model with the 'zuk branded Trax black boxes, etc.) but was getting a less than luke warm reception from the few dealers I spoke to about a trade with my upside down loan BMW...

The potential drawbacks with the weestrom were precisely my take! I really felt the top heavy orientation, and was not thrilled about the shim valves, no matter what any possible anecdotal evidence was, that they could keep an adjustment for a long time for some owners. (my luck is never inline with those lucky bastids, lol)

Then the NCX appeared, was exactly what I wanted, and the Honda dealer welcomed me with open arms- "We can make it happen, whatever you want, we'll do!"

:D

Yep, I looked at the Wee too before I bought the NC. Actually had been looking for over two years. I know several people that own them and they are all happy with their bike. For me, there is just something I don't like about the bike. It's probably the long cockpit and fugly appearance. A little more performance didn't do it for me.

I just rode 200 miles of wonderful twisty roads in the Ozarks of Arkansas and averaged 76.8 MPG, my best tank so far. I love the lightness of this bike, it's torque and its low COG. I like it so much, I'm thinking I don't need my RT any more. I can see long (cheap) trips on the NC.....like $0.05/mile trips. Think about it, spending only $50-$60 per 1000 miles on fuel. Beat that Wee!!!!
Mike

I just looked at the receipts from my 2387 mile trip. I averaged 70.3 miles per gallon and paid $122.11 for regular fuel. Your are right Bug Dr. - 5.1 cents per mile! Much of the time I was riding with bigger and more powerful bikes ......... we all got where ever we were going at the same time. With two 36 liter panniers, the 46 liter top case, and 21 liters in the trunk I carried everything I needed for moto camping and had nothing on the pillion seat.

Given the average my ST1300 gets on required premium grade I saved about $105 in fuel costs @ 9.5 cents per mile. I love that bike and have no plans to get rid of it. Its been paid off for years and I know it inside and out and I still enjoy riding it but I can't see buying another big touring motorcycle for the kind of trips I take. Of course, I reserve the right to change my mind!

Bikes like the NC700 and the WeeStrom are so capable..........

Sorry for the thread hijack.

Many people prefer the NCX for
1. Fuel economy
2. It's a brand new bike (new design)
3. It's a Honda
4. It is very smooth
5. It has a Frunk
6. It is cheaper

For the V-strom, here are my counter-reasons for NOT buying
1. It is old design
2. It consumes way too much
3. It is taller (too tall for me)
4. It is green
5. It costs 20-30% more, a BMW F800R costs the same, so BMW is better choice.

Hope this helps confuse you even more.
Just get the one you REALLY LIKE.
:p

Thanks all...good points especially re the fuel costs as I hope to do some long rides!

Happy...I thought that ABS was only available "bundled" with the DCT(?)

In Europe, we have Manual with ABS+Linked brakes.
And we have DCT with ABS+Linked brakes.

I think all new bikes now are equipped with ABS and soon it becomes mandatory.
:p

OK...OP here. I took a NC700x out for a thirty mile ride today. I'm convinced! It seemed so much lighter in traffic than the Vstrom. I suppose the only real question that remains is : DCT/ABS or standard?

Now I will need to find a DCT/ABS for a spin!

Standard without a question! I came off an Aprilia so I can tell you this Honda is quite amazing, you WILL NOT regret it. Especially when you are getting 80mpg!

The Suzuki is quicker but it feels heavy, and top heavy as well. the nc needs a larger windscreen, my choice was a Puig touring screen from RevZillar. The seat is hard so a got a pro pad gel way better now.

OP here....

So I've now had my NC700X for three months and put about 1k miles on her! Last week I saw a used Suzuki SL650 Vstrom sitting on a showroom floor and thought I'd take a seat!

Yikety-crikety...lifting it off the side stand was like lifting a Sherman tank! Although the weight of the WeeStrom and the NC7 are similar, the CoG of the NC7 makes all the difference.

No regrets...

Back