• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Camping with CPAP

Gunner

Reaction score
Visit site
Okay old guys, I need your experience. I'm would like to do some camping on my motorcycle however I, like many old guys these days, am attached to a CPAP at night and I cannot get any sleep without it. So tell me the logistics you go through to successfully camp with your CPAP.

Me too. Very interested in any reply as well. Have been considering dropping some $ on a travel sized unit with a battery and solar charger, but it's dang pricey.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Check with your supplier to see if they have a loaner AC/DC type unit. Usually max output is 3 liters. If so, you can run it during the day off your MC aux cig. lighter. For night, I'd try one of those Lightning Pacs which I use to jump start my battery. Those portable units will run several hrs. off the battery if fully charged which can be done while you're riding down the hwy. Lightning pac could be used at night to keep batter charged. Then during the day you will need to recharge both the Pac and the CPAP. Or haul around a small Honda generator.

This is a great question. I love the idea of a battery pack or one of those jump start things with a 110 plug. I have always just stayed at campsites with power and run a drop cord. I was just this morning looking up a surgical alternative. I guess my ultimate goal would be to lose 60 or 70 pounds. When I was significantly lighter, I could go a few nights without my CPAP with no problem...and I looked better with my shirt off.

Have considered this. There are 12 V cords for the Airsense 10 I use, about 80 dollars. The power supplies are 90W. So I would need a 60 amp-hour battery if it's running at full load. How-bout somebody tear apart their AC cord and put a clamp-on to tell us the AC amps.

I think a Honda Generator strapped to the back seat is about my sure-fire option. On the good side, American Honda Finance Company would be quite happy to finance a generator for me!

I have a motorcycle buddy that uses a CPAP. He looked into a portable unit but I think they were really expensive. So he brings an extension cord and always camps within range of an outlet. Hasn't really be a problem for him.

My wife was on one when we traveled and we use the car 12v system to run it and at night in motel used 120v plug in. In the car it's actually running off of its own battery and you're just keeping the battery charged. If you stay at campgrounds with electricity problem solved. Her battery pack was a bit large to haul around on a motorcycle. They do make smaller ones that is about the size of quart jar. And yes, if you buy them they can get expensive. Your supplier may have loaners. Ours did. And a lot of campgrounds won't let you run a generator after a certain hour at night. Get an electrical engineer friend to calculate the watt hour need for the CPAP and then you can go from there as to an alternative power supply to run it through the night. The only time you would need this is when you dry camp where there's no electric power.

I got tired of messing with it and got fitted for a passive oral appliance that does me almost as well (based on O2 sat recording). Not an option in every case, but for some it is.

Not to detour the thread..... but I probably would be dead by now if it weren't for my CPAP. Either I would have had a heart attack from prolonged apnea....... or my wife would have smothered me in my sleep from snoring!

This is a great question. I love the idea of a battery pack or one of those jump start things with a 110 plug. I have always just stayed at campsites with power and run a drop cord. I was just this morning looking up a surgical alternative. I guess my ultimate goal would be to lose 60 or 70 pounds. When I was significantly lighter, I could go a few nights without my CPAP with no problem...and I looked better with my shirt off.
Do not go for Surgery. Very painful, only works 50% of the time, % decreases over time and 24 solution for an 8 hour problem.
My problem is campsites eith no power in the tent area. Case in point mid Ohio race way for the vintage motorcycle swap meet and races.

Motomule trailer with batteries and solar panel to sit on top of the box to charge batteries while you ride? My friend that we ride with is limited for overnight camping. It is pretty much motels or he doesn't go on the bike. When there is a will, there is a way. I hope you come up with something that works. I would pass it along to my friend if you do.

If this works there should be pictures of the CPAP battery pack that just arrived from APRIA Health Care. it was $345 however, I was able to pay for it with my flex spending account because my doctor sent them an Rx for the battery. of course the insurance denied it. So I will be camping! Batt 1.jpgBatt 2.jpgBatt 3.jpg

Good luck, and glad to see you have solved the problem. I would miss motorcycle camping. A lot more fun in the evenings sitting around a camp fire, and setting in a cheap hotel room.

Well this weekend is the final test of the CPAP battery pack at the AMA Vintage Motorcycle Days at Mid Ohio Raceway. I considered a long extension cord, that would be the best solution but I'm not sure of availability of a place to plug it in. I tested the life of the battery pack here at the house. It ran my CPAP for 2 night, no problems.
Thank you for all your options and inputs.

Back