• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Buying a damaged bike out of state, help with pics?

jmark10

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi all, I'm about to drive 5 hours to get a 2014 DCT that I found on Craigslist. It has under 300 miles on it. Seller bought for his daughter to learn to ride, and she lost interest. Per the seller, "Purchased as a leftover in 2015. Serviced with the dealer once in 2016. Has been garage kept the entire time, I do ride it a few times a year and can show you that insurance was maintained on the bike last year. But, like most Honda motorcycles, the battery went this spring and I have replaced it. It's running well again."

We were discussing price, I made an offer, and he then sent me pics of muffler damage that happened when his daughter laid the bike down in a parking lot during a training ride, taking a turn too tightly. He then accepted my offer, and here I sit, super irritated. I checked the original Craigslist post, and the damage isn't there. The pics in the post actually kinda avoided the muffler (but you can see one angle barely where it looks intact), and subsequent photos he sent at my request also avoided it. He waited until I made an offer and then sent me pics of the damage, telling me he'd take my offer.

All annoyance aside at that shadiness, how bad is this? I've no experience with repairs, and was planning on upgrading the exhaust anyway...so I guess it's not a huge deal. Can I get your guys' thoughts on it and how much this would affect the value? There doesn't appear to be any other damage on the bike.

37573061_10214173290379446_5488227747631202304_n.jpg

37351539_10214173289939435_5991593228913082368_n.jpg

I "fixed" mine before it got damaged with Yoshimura R77 can.

There are many choices, look for systems that have the stop for the centerstand.

No problems for you if you're already planning to get an aftermarket exhaust. As long as it's a fair price, 300 miles is darn good! Plus, looks like an aesthetic problem. It wouldn't make me pass on a good deal for a 2015 with that low of miles.

No biggie, heck my c50 boulevard has more damage to its muffler from a T-bone with a deer-2 years later, still purring like a kitten-haven't changed it out, gives it more 'character'...looks like just a drop, since the marks and dents are up and down (vertical) and not horizontal (as in a skid on its side would cause).

It is unfortunate to have to drive so far to check it out, then again I drove 9 hours to pick up mine for a great deal... during my ownership it has been blown over on both sides (while parked in freak wind storms :().

Here's what I have found:
Right Side:
Muffler dents, broken footpeg, bent rear brake, bent/scretched bar end, scratched mirror, scratched front brake handle, scraped windshield, crash bar rash (would have definitely hit the plastics without those).

Left Side:
Broken footpeg, bent/scretched bar end, scratched mirror, broken clutch lever, broken indicator housing, crash bar rash, top box damaged.

Check everything on that side, the panels are not cheap, footpeg and brake lever(s) could be damaged but easily replaceable, the front indicator assembly is >$80 per side.

I'd take some money off the offer for the sketchy move by the seller (put it to your new pipe). I'd also tell the seller you'll walk if you find more damage once you get there. Basically you can't trust this guy-

It’s craigslist sorta the norm...........surprised he accepted the over the phone. If I sell on Craigslist I only negotiate in person. ( I put that right in the ad) ........because with Craigslist low ball offers over the phone or in emails from people that never show up is also the norm.
You take your chances......but your only out the gas money and time vs ebay where you commit to buy and pay site unseen.

Before I left for the purchase confirm clear title is in hand available and present. Because if there’s a loan then you need the bank to be open and actually have the title at the bank branch.

Another free internet opinion :). Looks pretty minor to me in regards to the muffler. Really looks like a direct drop. No real sliding rash in my opinion. My concern would be about the things you can't see. Are the handle bars bent?

There’s plenty of fish in the sea. Why buy from a deceptive seller, unless the price is so low it’s a steal? Low miles is one thing, but a pristine, well maintained bike with higher miles could be a better buy.

Ditto on PotterOo. As an accident investigator/scene recreator for many years, the scratches on the muffler you are showing is indicative of a drop as he described. As for the owners deceptiveness, sadly that happens on CL, but remember you have the cash and he wants to sell the bike. You Sir, are still in control!! I would not be afraid to go and see it, sit on it, check the handle bars and make sure they are straight and not bent. If it has a center stand, rock it up on the center stand and walk around it making sure the bike "Sits" straight and properly. All good, then make him an offer. If he balks about it, remind him of the dropping muffler/damage he failed to tell you about until after you made the offer. Either way, it is your decision. If you are happy with it, go for it as it sounds like a great deal if the price is right. If not, consider it a great drive and time well invested towards getting the right bike, just not that one. Also, welcome to the ride!! a good nick name for the bike could be "Skid-Mark"! :{)

Last edited:
Another free internet opinion :). Looks pretty minor to me in regards to the muffler. Really looks like a direct drop. No real sliding rash in my opinion. My concern would be about the things you can't see. Are the handle bars bent?

This. I bought my NC700. Owner said it was dropped on its right side.
Bent handlebar, bent brake lever, cracked engine cover.
Check everything. On both sides.
Personally I'd be inclined to walk away.
But yeah, it depends on the price, and how bad you want an NC.
Oh hey, mine is for sale too. Madison WI.
:eek:

Thanks all for your help. I got another email from the seller this morning. He "just noticed" some scraping on the right hand side as well. Lord have mercy. Anyway, it doesn't look bad and seems to line up with his original story. I can't tell if the guy is TRYING to scam me, or is generally clueless...given the cobwebs around the chain, I tend to believe that he didn't notice anything until he pulled it away from the wall to take more pics for me. the original CL ad had the bike against the garage wall with the muffler towards the wall.

Which is fine, but now I'm more concerned about the effects of the bike not being used for long stretches of time.
FWIW, the asking price was 5800, we agreed on 4750, and I'm going to ask that he takes 250 off for the side damage as I'd be replacing the muffler anyway.

Also, "skidmark", lol!

IMG_1542.JPG

IMG_1543.jpg

IMG_1537.JPG

IMG_1539.JPG

IMG_1540.JPG

IMG_1541.JPG

IMG_1544.JPG

(Seller said),”But, like most Honda motorcycles, the battery went this spring . . .”

Off subject, but that’s an interesting comment that caught my eye. My Honda’s batteries usually see about eight springs before they go. I’m still running the original in my 2012. I wasn’t aware that Honda motorcycles, in particular, were known for short battery life. The seller must see Honda’s from a different perspective than we do. I’d be curious as to what other brand motorcycles might live in that garage.

Last edited:
Off subject, but that’s an interesting comment the caught my eye. My Honda’s batteries usually see about eight springs before they go. I’m still running the original in my 2012. I wasn’t aware that Honda motorcycles, in particular, were known for short battery life. The seller must see Honda’s from a different perspective than we do. I’d be curious as to what other brand motorcycles might live in that garage.

Yeah, I wondered about that myself.

I've been kicking around the idea of selling mine. It has around 16k miles and no damage. I was thinking I would be lucky to get $4k out of it.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

$4750 too much for a damaged bike. Going to cost $$$ to replace those covers, plus time (labor) to replace them. Too many bikes on here and at dealers you can get for less money and no damage.. Heck, Thompson Motorsports over at Terra Haute Indiana has 2 2013 models (manual and DCT) with about 10,000 miles on each and both are less than $4750-the manual bike I know personally-my best friend traded it in for a CTX700-immaculate condition.

With that kind of damage on the covers, I bet the handlebar ends are damaged and handlebars may be slightly bent-it looks like a drop but a hard drop where she didn't try to catch it and lay it down....

$4750 too much for a damaged bike. Going to cost $$$ to replace those covers, plus time (labor) to replace them. Too many bikes on here and at dealers you can get for less money and no damage.. Heck, Thompson Motorsports over at Terra Haute Indiana has 2 2013 models (manual and DCT) with about 10,000 miles on each and both are less than $4750-the manual bike I know personally-my best friend traded it in for a CTX700-immaculate condition.

With that kind of damage on the covers, I bet the handlebar ends are damaged and handlebars may be slightly bent-it looks like a drop but a hard drop where she didn't try to catch it and lay it down....

I agree. Too much for it with the condition it is in. I would keep shopping around. You'll come across the right deal eventually. Maybe even one that has a bunch of accessories, too. Like 670cc said, a pristine bike with some miles on it might be a better deal for you. Given the headache you've had with this fella! Not to mention having to drive that far to go get it.

Thanks all. I actually went with RumbleOn for my new purchase. 2015, $4800, 9000 miles, a/m exhaust and horn, perfect condition....and free shipping to my doorstep.

Back