• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Question Broken well nut removal.

hoyden

Reaction score
Visit site
Hello,

The well nut (rubber flange with brass core) to the right of the left indicator has broken leaving the brass core rotating freely in the rubber housing and the bolt spinning around and unable be removed.

Having tried to grip the well nut via what little space is available it's unfortunately looking like the only option is to drill it out.

Honda in their infinite wisdom have designed the bike in such away that the failure of this part is looking like the inevitable trashing of the side front cowl fairing.

Please see pictures, has anyone come across this before/have any hacks/solutions?

Attachments

• 20220621_213209.jpg
    20220621_213209.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 36
  • 20220621_213238.jpg
    20220621_213238.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 36
What model and year is the motorcycle?

On both my '16 and '18 there is not a well nut at that position. I think it is a speed clip. If it is spinning, you should be able to just pull it right out. UK specs could be different. Speed clips are available at local hardware stores on this side of the pond and might be there too. If it is a well nut, then thread a zip tie through with something shaped like a suture needle or fishhook. Tighten it up, apply horizontal pressure and you should be good to go. Best of luck!

EDIT: it is a well nut under there. Sorry for my mistake.

Last edited:
2018 NC750X ABS
Thank you. I’m not personally familiar with the body work on a 2018, but perhaps someone with a 2016-2020 body style might recognize that part.

Hello,

The well nut (rubber flange with brass core) to the right of the left indicator has broken leaving the brass core rotating freely in the rubber housing and the bolt spinning around and unable be removed.

Having tried to grip the well nut via what little space is available it's unfortunately looking like the only option is to drill it out.

Honda in their infinite wisdom have designed the bike in such away that the failure of this part is looking like the inevitable trashing of the side front cowl fairing.

Please see pictures, has anyone come across this before/have any hacks/solutions?
I don't know much about your 2018 NC750 however I found/attached a schematic of the 2018 NC750xda Front Cowl on Partzilla.com that me give you some insight of what you are dealing with.
Sorry I can't be of more help.

Attachments

• 2018 NC750xda Front Cowl Parts Schematic from Partzilla.pdf
    116.7 KB · Views: 7
Wedge a little something like a screwdriver or plastic/wood shim between those two plastic parts and put tension on the screw. The friction of the brass piece on the inside plastic may be enough to break the threads loose, these typically shouldn't be that tight.

If it starts to unthread a couple turns, move the wedge under the head of the screw instead so that you don't have to continue prying the plastic pieces apart. Typically these threads are only finger tight once they break loose so when you can get your fingers on it or some pliers, pull the screw out as you untwist keeping that friction on the brass thread. It should fall off the back eventually.

Be careful with the semi-rigid plastic though, obviously too much prying can crack it.

Hello,

Hoyden,

I have a 2021 NC750xd and not a 2018 but I may have come across something which may help you if no solution has been identified to help you.
Like you I had some issues with the well nut allowing the retention screw to be rendered relatively useless.
I purchased 2 new well nuts for the middle cowl and then loosened the necessary components to separate the front and middle cowl. After disconnecting the wires to the turn signal(s) and remove the panels I was able to push up on the screw with my finger, and then had enough space to remove the broken well-nut. With the new well nut/cowl nut setting (5mm) I placed the new well nut in position after using some gorilla gel glue to secure the new well nut. I gave it about 15 minutes to dry and secure.
I reconnected the turn signal wires but did not re-secure middle panels. I then started screwing new screws (that I had on hand) into place from the front cowl position and held the well-nut in place with my finger until the screw caught the threads in the well nut. I turned the screw by hand until I was sure that I didn't screw up the threads and that the new well nut was secure in place. I then snapped the side panel in place and finished screwing in the new screw into the well-nut. It worked quite well. I repeated the same procedure on the other side.
My cost for items used:
2 well nut - C550/Nut Cowl Setting (5mm) at $4.40/each, $7.90 delivery and tax = 17.79.
Gorilla Super Glue Gel XL, 25 Gram, Clear, (Pack of 1) at $7.24 (including tax and shipping).

I apologize for getting back to you so late but I couldn't remember any specifics for finding your post until now.
I hope that you resolved your problems before now but if not I hope that this helps.

BklynBoy

Hey Guys,

Thank you all so much for the suggestions. It came down to this method from a Suzuki/Royal Enfield dealership:

a) at your own risk
b) place/slide tape under the bolt head so it doesn't score the plastic
c) soak strong kitchen towl with water and place liberally around area
d) have a large bottle of water you can hold comfortably (or get someone else to)
e) start with a 2mm drill bit in the centre of the bolt; increasing 3mm; 3.5mm; 4mm, etc. WHILST pouring water over the drill bit and bolt (prevents heat welding the plastic) all the way up to 5/6mm and EVENTUALLY with persistent firm yet careful pressure it just drops off/out when it reaches the depth of the bolt cap

Was both nerve-wracking and satisfying.
Lesson learned. If a wellnut looks tired or is not gripping with ease anymore - replace with new. Don't try and tighten it secure.

Cheers!

Attachments

• 20220719_182150.jpg
    20220719_182150.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 22
  • 20220719_183442.jpg
    20220719_183442.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 22
  • 20220719_191903.jpg
    20220719_191903.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 22
Back