• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Brake and plate light out

fleetingyouth

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi all,

I realized late last night my brake light, running light, and plate light are out. I have the custom fiberglass tail delete that puts the tail light up into the tail so its a pain to get at the brake light. will have to pull the whole tail apart.

Before I pull it apart what are the chances its not a bad bulb? Is it common for both fillaments to fail or is that a sign that maybe its a bad connection or fuse?

Also does someone know the bulb numer to replace it?

Thanks all.

Sounds like a bad connection (or two) to me. Did you have to splice into the factory harness when installing the new lighting, or was it plug and play?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Potter thanks I found it on the forum looks like it is a 1157 bulb.

Tacoma there is no new lighting just stock. The bulb is a dual filiments so running light and brake light are the same bulb. Also the running light doubles as the plate light. So this doesnt rule out a bad connection but it is the stock setup.

Oh, figured the tail tidy was an aftermarket light installed in tail section. Got any pics of it? I'm interested to see what it looks like.

attachment.php

I've found that when one filament fails it often wiggles around, ends up touching the other filament, and the other fails in short order

I'd recommend switching to an LED.

I replaced my tail light with an LED bulb years ago when I installed an LED headlight, I changed the headlight to a different model (switched to one without a fan) but the tail light is the exact same, so far non of my LED lights have died despite many, many hours of use

Thanks Junkie. thats what I'm hoping. Picked up a bulb today going to pull the tail apart and try it first. Just going to be a pain as its parked on the sidewalk at the place I'm at right now.

Rippin what headlight did you go with? Ive been wanting to do that next. I think I'm going to order an LED tail light online didnt like the style they had at the store. Will go with a filiment for now then drop the LED in in the spring.

You mentioned the plate light being out too, does the tail light bulb also act as the plate light or is it a separate bulb? This is why I suspected bad wiring connections as the culprit, if more than one bulb went out at once.

Tail light/ruining light, the brake light and the license plate light are all the same single bulb (dual filament)

In the past, I messed around with LED replacement “bulbs” for tail lights on a Ninja 250. What I found back then was that if the tail light doubles as the license light, you’ll need a “white” LED. However, at least back then, white LEDs had very little red spectrum component in the white light. So the white license light looked fine but the tail/brake lights looked pink behind the red lens. I wonder if current day white LED replacements have adequate red light in them, or if they’ll still look pink through a red lens.

In the past, I messed around with LED replacement “bulbs” for tail lights on a Ninja 250. What I found back then was that if the tail light doubles as the license light, you’ll need a “white” LED. However, at least back then, white LEDs had very little red spectrum component in the white light. So the white license light looked fine but the tail/brake lights looked pink behind the red lens. I wonder if current day white LED replacements have adequate red light in them, or if they’ll still look pink through a red lens.
I was worried about that so I used a red light, the tail light is so close to the license plate it doesn't look out of place,

670cc they make a lot of dual function LED lghts now to replace dual filament bulbs. So they are red LEDs with white LEDS for runing lights.

Back