• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Bought a 2015 DCT with 10k miles and unknown history. What should I do first?

jmark10

Reaction score
Visit site
Title's pretty clear - I have read through a ton of posts and info, and have seen things from valve adjustment to chain tension checking to oil changes to seat mods.
Mods aside - those will come in time - what maintenance stuff should I do or check on at this point? The Owner's Manual is pretty clear, but should I just assume that the recommended maintenance up until now was performed? Or should I just go ahead and do everything that's in there, assuming nothing's been done?

Or, is there an easy way to check on these items to see if they've been done or need done? The fluids all look clean and reasonably fresh and at the right levels, chain looks good, tires are in good shape, etc. Just wondering what I may want to focus on with a bike with an unknown history.

If the oil looks good and the chain is good, you are good to go. If worried, do an oil and filter change. Valve adjustment is at 16000 miles. Change the coolant at that time. I replaced my chain and sprockets at 10k miles, but I was about to take a 7000 mile trip and didn't want to worry. Some of the NC owners reported a short chain life. This is a pretty easy bike to own. As far as farkles, its what's important to you.

My early purchases included a center stand (chain maintenance) Madstad screen, (extends endurance) and crash bars (i've been known to drop a bike in the garage) heated grips, plug for heated vest, wiring for gps and charging phone and a Seat Concepts seat cover.

At 10,000 miles the only thing I'd do is change the oil and both of the oil filters. 10,000 mile oil will look fairly dark and might have the "used" smell that oil gets and if it was done at 8,000 miles your not going to spend a lot of money changing 2,000 old oil.

Clean and adjust the chain and get riding!

Sounds like you’re good to go. Check the chain tension as per owners manual. Loose is better than tight for long chain life. Oil filter is good for 16,000 miles on the latest maintenance schedule for 2016+. Your 2015 manual probably says 8000 miles on the filters, but I wouldn’t get too excited about it either way.

First accessory, if not already on the bike, would be the centerstand (should be standard equipment :mad:). They can be bought at discount with shipping included for about $112.

Last edited:
Um...Maybe top off the gas tank and get to riding.

In all seriousness, if you don't know, it's best to change the stuff that could have potentially been overlooked by the previous owner: oil, filters, check the chain for kinks and the sprockets for wear. That's really about all I can think of.

+1 on the centerstand. I have one, my buddy does not. General maintenance is so much easier with the stand.

should I just assume that the recommended maintenance up until now was performed?

What does the document trail look like?

If the answer is "invisible" I would open the owner's manual and start getting busy!!

If the answer is "great" I would put gas in it, check the chain/tires and put a couple of thousand miles on it.

Congrats on the motorcycle, I really like the DCT

Thanks, all! It's been super fun so far! Took an extended ride last night, and boy, THAT SEAT HAS GOT TO GO haha. Or at least I need to do the interim mod to get that slope fixed. Couldn't believe what a PITA it was; and I'm a new rider, so I figured it wouldn't bother me because I don't have anything to compare it to...but wow. It's bad.

+1 on dduelin's comment. Oil and the filters are cheap so you might as well start off on the right foot. :)

+1 on dduelin's comment. Oil and the filters are cheap so you might as well start off on the right foot. :)

The maintenance schedule is based on time and mileage, not the cost of the materials.

Fork oil, brake fluid, and coolant are cheap, too. Might as well change all the fluids?

Last edited:
Back