• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Boot Waterproofing

In the long run it's a good system even before social media and forums like this one got to be a regular thing word of mouth has always been the greatest sales tool now days if you sale luxury items (anything you could live without) and you have selection or options to buy from different brands and models and from different stores, it's foolish to not listen to a customer and see if they have a valid complaint. Your boots are supposed to be water proof they are not, that's a real problem with what was expected vs what the company delivered on

You are SO right on that one. Good word of mouth and a solid reputation of backing your product can't be bought, it has to be earned.

I checked my receipts...debit card...doh >.< Thanks for the advice. I'm no worse off for contacting them so might as well give it a try. Really do like the boots just the wet socks take some of the like away :(

If that doesn't work, I have a tip for ya. <trying not to laugh while I type> I read/heard someone say they put plastic grocery bags over their feet before they put their boots on for rainy days.

OCR ( I think) posted about having to buy two loaves of bread, which were thrown out so he had the bags for "waterproofing" in unexpected rain. :)

Spraying the stitching area will last a shot time and if the boot is leather, eventually it will soak through. I use a pair of gaiters that covers the boot and comes up higher than the boot. They are plastic and I have had them for over two years. They cost around $20. Covers everything except the bottom of the heel and the instep. The gaiters would be my choice over spraying or buying weatherproof boots.

Contacted the Canadian warranty division and boot comes with a 12 month warranty so no coverage. They recommend I put Nikwax on it. They also advised if you buy a goretex boot it has a lifetime warranty.

Contacted Nikwax and they recommended leather restorer so that will be my next purchase. Can't seem to find it locally so will have to order it online. Tried some mink oil I had hanging around from old work boots but didn't seem to help much. I have a boot dryer so that will be getting a workout

I forget the particulars but as I recall some tanning/treatment processes do not take kindly to various oils or greases. Still, the best product I've found is based on beeswax: Sno-Seal. It's the best I've found in decades of hiking and backpacking.

Atsko Sno-Seal Wax

"Sno-Seal Original Beeswax Waterproofing protects leather from rain, sun, snow, and salt. Sno-Seal is also great for waxed cotton and tent seams. The beeswax formula dries to a solid wax that "stays put" in the surface of the leather so it lasts longer. Our competitors' greases, oil, and animal products are able to migrate through the leather till they clog all the pores. These waterproofing products fill the natural spaces that are supposed to absorb perspiration and insulate.

In addition, animal fats weaken and rot leather. The tannery worked hard to remove the fats and preserve the leather, so it's hard to imagine why you'd put it back on.

Sno-Seal will help you feel more comfortable in Gore-Tex® fabric lined boots because it allows the Gore-Tex® absorbed perspiration to escape out of the leather."

I have two pairs of TCX Explorer Goretex boots that eventually have a sprung leaks in the same place - on the forefront of the top of the foot (just back from the toes). I have come to the conclusion that it is boot flexion that eventually damages the goretex membrane - at this point the 'leather' is crunching and unfurling enormously when I walk. They are made of false leather called Iparex so I am going to try waterproofing the outside just in this flexion area by spraying them with black rubberised paint (Plastidip).
I will report back
Mike

My MX boots have a stitched welt as do some of my older hiking boots. They also have a metal toe tip. Here's what I used to seal the welts and stitching there: Atsko Welt Seal. I found out I needed this on a couple extended winter dualsport rides where I was riding through snow, water running over ice and through mud, and really deep slush. Though my uppers were not leaking, my feet at the bottom were eventually getting soaked, and by the time temperatures dropped again they were beginning to freeze. Applying this before doing the uppers with Sno-Seal made the trips afterward a lot more pleasant, with no leakage though the welt.

"Welt-Seal is a unique, nitrile rubber adhesive. It was developed to solve special problems in the welts, stitching and seams of outdoor footwear.

Welt-Seal is so effective it is used by welders to prevent the burning of stitches which results in soles falling off.
It is used by miners to protect the stitch fiber and the holes from the abrasive effects of minerals.
It is resistant to almost everything, including acids, fuels, corrosives, and abrasives. It is a terrific adhesive and seam sealer where long-term flexibility is required.
Welt-Seal matches the flexibility of silicones and urethanes, yet has the high strength usually found only in rigid adhesives.
Welt Seal can also repair inflatables, tent seams, rain gear, wet suits, rubber boots, and more!"

Here's what a stitched welt looks like:

rewelt.jpg

I have come to the conclusion that it is boot flexion that eventually damages the goretex membrane
This is also true of Gore-Tex garments. And for that matter, any pack cloth such as found on stuff sacks, or tent fabric that has urethane coating on the inside, eventually begins to lose its waterproof qualities as the urethane begins to separate and shred off from folding, bending, and just plain aging...

What have others used to shore up the waterproofing?
I don't wear boots, I wear Converse All*Star sneakers when riding. In wet weather I slip these on, Tour Master Deluxe Boot Rain Covers (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007P9YXWA/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1), and then just slip them off when no longer needed. They would work for leaky boots too, I suppose. Don't plan on walking any distance with them on though, but waterproof while riding.

Ray

Back