• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Boosterplug anyone ?

I can tell you this, all my riding buddies have BMW's and have had this device for years and it hasn't reverted at all as eluded to by some. I did some searching a while ago and there are tons of forums where people have dissected this thing over the cheap knock-offs and even WebBikeWorld recommends it. I think mine was well worth the $150 to the point I registered here to dispel any misinformation about it. It's cheap, it works, it will continue to work, and the science is there. This device won't cure any problems, because the NC already has good fueling. What it will do is give you that extra "oomph" for very little coin if you like to tinker. The bike is already great as it is but I like to tinker and squeeze out whatever little I can, like overclocking a cpu.

2brnut2b: To answer your question my bike only has a K&N air filter, no other mods for performance. Ride safe all.

This seems to be common on these type of gizmos. I went through the same type of thing when I tried the Icat on our DS bikes. I had put one on Cathy's Xt225 and it was a very noticeable improvement in power. Pulling the same hill the bike would consistently pull a higher gear. On my L I did not notice much difference other than my gas mileage seemed to go up a bit. I was told by many that it can't do anything and it was stupid to buy one.

So now we have two different users of the same device with dramatically different opinions. Now what?

You pays yer money and you takes yer chances...

It does seem to be a fairly contentious issue; but then again what isn't with people, lol?

Only the individual can justify to themselves the "worth" of something. You can prove it isn't until you are blue in the face, yet have multitudes of happy customers offer up contrary opinions. In the end, who made the better choice? The guy who satisfied himself that it was a fraudulent snake oil cure all, or the placebo effect customer who truly does believe it works?

Can you then prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that you are happier than they are, by justifying how you spent the equivalent cost on something else instead? It's a killer loop of never ending humanness hee hee :D

Would I buy one? No. Would I waste the equivalent amount on some other demented thing no one in their right mind could justify? erm...:eek:

It does become even more confusing when some magazine or website gives a good review. Before I tried the Icat one of the dirt bike magazines tested it and gave it a good review. That in fact had me try it. If I had only used it on the L I may have not much of it. But on the XT it was more than just in our head. It did make a big difference.

I like the way the NC is. When I want more, I will buy another bike.

So now we have two different users of the same device with dramatically different opinions. Now what?

Ya pays ya nickel and ya takes ya choice. I'd only add that "just purchased" doesn't mean the ECU won't adapt the improvements back to zero. The one on my BMW worked for a few weeks. It gets back to the old state so slowly you don't notice. I could remove the battery leads for 15 minutes and it would "help" again. The AF-XIED fix stayed fixed. There could also be some expectation bias thrown in there. With the BMW unit there was a guy who data-logged the bike for months with an A/F sniffer up the pipe and he documented the return to prior lambda. But that was a BMW with Bosch Motronic. The Honda could have a less intelligent ECU. OR something.

decided to give the booster plug a try, installed this morning and went out for 80ish miles. Night and Day compared to yesterday's ride. No more popping on decel, no more surging down low, it's a game changer. I rode out to a dealer and took the Africa Twin for a test drive, you could notice the difference immediately by how lean the AT is compared to the boosterplug NC.

My NC never pops on throttle release in the first place, nor does it surge; that's with aftermarket pipe and silencer ... If I felt I was having problems with transition from idle into early throttle control I'd probably look at the G2 Street Tamer Throttle Tube or something similar. That type of product is often used on FI'd dualsports to make the early throttle response smoother and less problematic when riding technical trails, and the users have reported that it also just feels nicer on the street. They do have fitment for the NC.

decided to give the booster plug a try, installed this morning and went out for 80ish miles. Night and Day compared to yesterday's ride. No more popping on decel, no more surging down low, it's a game changer. I rode out to a dealer and took the Africa Twin for a test drive, you could notice the difference immediately by how lean the AT is compared to the boosterplug NC.

I've never experienced popping and surging on mine or any other NC I've ridden. Has your bike been modified in some other way? Perhaps it had a problem?

I've never experienced popping and surging on mine or any other NC I've ridden. Has your bike been modified in some other way? Perhaps it had a problem?

danmoto muffler is the only engine mod I have, which I wouldn't think would decrease backpressure all that much since the cat is still there, but the popping on decel has been audible ever since the muffler swap. I imagine my air filter is due for a beat-out, but I don't see a dirty filter causing a lean engine. Also, I don't think its any secret that pretty much all new bikes run on the lean side of fuel mixtures these days. I ride a ton of city miles to and from work every day, and the popping on decel is noticeable, as is the "touchy" throttle on the low end. the booster plug definitely smooths it out: no popping on decel, no surging/touchyness low speed. Riding it the 30 miles to the dealer with the boosterplug, then hopping on the AT, the difference was night and day.

I have nothing to gain by supporting the boosterplug, just sharing my personal experience here for the rest of the community.

gotta say i'd rather get a programmable than a potted/sealed resistor ; }

haven't tried it on the 750x ... however installed one on each of 2 different BMW R1200C's

it was talked about as a fix to a lean condition issue at low RPM, and absolutely did the trick.
as mentioned in other posts here, it didn't fade due to ECM trim. Bike was night and day better after installation ... and for years after.
It wasn't just a resistor .. there is a temperature probe that goes in the intake. Fakes out the air temp reading and enriches the mixture.

On our bikes .. I cant say there is a lean condition problem, so in my opinion its a solution to a non existent problem. Mine runs very well.

However, part of the sport is mods, and I believe it would be a simple safe mod that MAY enhance performance. If I recall they were less than $150, so not a lot of money to experiment with so go for it :)

popping on decel is very often related to air getting sucked into the exhaust system. So whats the last thing that was changed .... muffler? likely poor connection between new muffler and pipe. Or fighting the old one off/new one on wiggled the clamps at the head, and damaged the gasket, or caused a leak there. Would need to go over the exhaust front to back and check all fittings.

Last edited:
I have run with the boosterplug this summer. IT works and are still working!!
Totally impressed with it, the motor runs soo more smooth in low rpm’s. Big difference! Recommend it.

I have run with the boosterplug this summer. IT works and are still working!!
Totally impressed with it, the motor runs soo more smooth in low rpm’s. Big difference! Recommend it.
I'm impressed too. Just fitted one to my 2013 NC700x and the difference in low revs throttle response/pickup is noticeable. Significantly smoother. Good purchase in my mind.

Back