• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Bolt on the left side.

di_

Reaction score
Visit site
Does anybody know the purpose of this bolt?
on3DwD.png

it`s got a bit rusty on my bike. so a want to rpalace it.
If I just unscrew?

Last edited:
I just had a look at it on my bike. I note the washer at its base, and from the shape of the casting that it screws into I am thinking it is an oil way. It is of course possible that it is a retaining bolt for something inside the casing, and for that reason I would not touch it without further information. Other than that I am not much help.

It seems to be the "Do Not Touch" bolt. In the service manual on page 13-6 which describes removal of the alternator there is a caution not to loosen the bolt, which they call the "alternator sealing bolt".

So, I guess you have to ask yourself...

[video=youtube;8Xjr2hnOHiM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Xjr2hnOHiM[/video]

Last edited:
Dammit. Now that I know it's there and that I'm not supposed to touch it...
[video=youtube;NITBfc1EOBo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NITBfc1EOBo&t=00m32s[/video]

Last edited:
my god... what to do now ? :eek:
You might try getting an acid or alkaline product that chemically treats the rust and prepares it for painting. Any hardware store will have something for this. The products are very harsh and can remove paint or ruin unprotected surfaces but with some masking tape or bits of plastic film to protect the surrounding areas use a small modeling brush to treat just the bolt head that is rusted. After the product is dried and the rust is stabilized then use another small modeling brush to paint the bolt silver, grey, or whatever color you choose. When you are done only you will know it was treated. I had boats in the past they often have a fitting or fastener that have to be treated like this.

Back