• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Blowing fuses on charging circuit

drdubb

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
This is actually a problem on my Himalayan, but electrical circuits are similar.
I came home to a dead battery. Replaced the battery, but the bike was still dead. Found a blow fuse on the charging circuit. Replaced the fuse and it immediately blew. Any suggestions.

Also, the ABS pump would run continuously when I installed the battery, so I pulled that fuse. Bad Relay?

Hey Dale, that is the first thing i'd check. Seems they are a pretty simple system, with only a few things that make them operate. Fuse, relay etc. :{P

The fact the fuse blows immediately............means a direct short, positive wire is touching ground.
Any accessories or accessory really connected directly to the battery positive terminal ?

Was the key in the off position when the new fuse blew ? Is the key in the off position when the ABS pump is running continuously?

The fact the fuse blows immediately............means a direct short, positive wire is touching ground.
Any accessories or accessory really connected directly to the battery positive terminal ?

Was the key in the off position when the new fuse blew ? Is the key in the off position when the ABS pump is running continuously?

Thanks for the reply.
Key was off when pump ran and when fuse blew.
All accessories disconnected and fuse blew.

I reviewed the wiring diagram and then checked the location of the components and connections. What a rats nest.
I think I'm going to remove all accessories and take it to the dealer. Still under warranty.

Glad it’s working again! The other nagging question I have is why a motorcycle still in warranty had a dead battery in the first place. In most cases the battery would far outlast the motorcycle’s warranty period.

Dealer solved the problem. Idiot owner. I put the battery in correctly, but somehow I switched the wires. Put some red tap on the pos. when I got it home.
Don't feel bad on this. On every machine I have or had one of the first things I've done is take a red permanent marker and color the positive terminal / positive cable on the battery. Why, because I'm prone to make errors......it just helps me.....simple and effective.

Back