• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Black or White?

Randy99CL

Reaction score
Visit site
Couple of decades ago I owned a few all-black cars/trucks in a row. When the last (full size Chevy PU) was stolen I replaced it with a white vehicle and immediately noticed that other drivers gave me more room and didn't pull out in front of me so closely. I was living with the aggressive drivers in Cleveland and the difference was like night and day.
So I made a point of watching the colors of vehicles and how that affected visibility and my findings were eye-opening. Light-colored vehicles looked bigger and closer (as they could be seen clearly) and dark colors blended with the backround and were harder to identify. I lived just outside the city and on the tree-lined rural roads dark vehicles could blend in and become almost invisible while white cars looked huge.

It seems to me that being seen and identified is one of the most important safety factors in our riding.

The "style" now is blacked-out, in bikes and gear. Flat black is the least visible and the most popular. Wasn't like that 20 years ago, the only riders wearing all black were the outlaw wannabees.

It just doesn't make sense to me. The black looks cool and badass but is it worth it??

When I bought my new jacket my choice is mostly white. Wanted a white helmet but the model that fit the best was only in silver. Found some gloves with white fingers and plan to buy them. Planning to upgrade to a helmet in white.

One of the things I've always disliked about Harleys is that they are "style before function". They're much better now but decades ago they were really horrible bikes (remember choppers?) but looked cool.
Is that what this is about? Looking cool and just not worrying about visibility?

And I admit that I'm an old fart who doesn't care what others think about me. bilt_techno_mesh_jacket_white_black_750x750.jpgbell_mx9_adventure_mips_helmet_rollover.jpg

My mesh gear is silver/black but I sew fluorescent cloth hi-viz green panels on the upper chest and back. The hi-viz contrasts greatly against the silver/black. My one-piece suit is completely hi-viz. My helmets are white. I believe it helps me stand out. Not foolproof, the blind wouldn't see a fire truck anyway.

My mesh gear is silver/black but I sew fluorescent cloth hi-viz green panels on the upper chest and back. The hi-viz contrasts greatly against the silver/black. My one-piece suit is completely hi-viz. My helmets are white. I believe it helps me stand out. Not foolproof, the blind wouldn't see a fire truck anyway.

I've seen some bikers here wearing the Hi-Viz vests and might get one myself; saw they have them at Walmart for a few bucks. Just for here in the city where there are a million lights and side streets.

I wear hi-viz religiously and am convinced it has helped me avoid some bad situations. However I have read some study somewhere along the way that stated a white helmet was still more effective at conspicuity than any other color.

White is better than black, but they both blend in with the sea of white, grey, and black vehicles out on the road today. Get any light color and you will stand out. I personally like hi viz yellow, but I do have both a hi viz and a white helmet.

I too, observed that white helmets stood out more than grey or black. Why anyone wears black gear, I’ll never understand. I’m not saying it’s wrong, just that I don’t get it.

Last edited:
Why anyone wears black gear, I’ll never understand. I’m not saying it’s wrong, just that I don’t get it. Must be me; I’m weird.[/QUOTE]

Ditto. As a motorcyclist I’m “programmed” to spot other bikes just as a matter of course and curiosity. But even with that predisposition I’m still caught off guard at times by the bike and rider all in dark clothing and gear. Just astounds me why anyone would do that and put themselves at such risk.

I wear gray gear which has a 1" wide 3M reflective chartreuse stripe from one wrist, across my back, and ending at the other wrist. And again along the outside of both pant legs. Been wearing that since my mid-30's so I can't say I was an old fart when I started that. But most people I rode with were at least 20 years older so maybe an old fart at heart.

Why motorcyclists won't wear high-visibility gear - RevZilla

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

What I don’t understand is why the hi-viz focus is just on riding gear. Why aren’t the bikes painted in highly visible colors? Check out the Grom pictured below. If the Goldwing, CRF250L or the NC came in that hi-viz yellow color, I’d have to go buy ‘em!

B6CC9939-B36D-4813-9E1E-47D202A7D53D.jpg
35F53982-0D5D-46F2-B579-80ED57710F3D.jpg

Last edited:
I wear gray gear which has a 1" wide 3M reflective chartreuse stripe from one wrist, across my back, and ending at the other wrist. And again along the outside of both pant legs. Been wearing that since my mid-30's so I can't say I was an old fart when I started that. But most people I rode with were at least 20 years older so maybe an old fart at heart.

Why motorcyclists won't wear high-visibility gear - RevZilla

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

I have to chuckle about that couple in the article wearing gear with hi viz highlights, while their bike and everything else is black. Why didn’t they do like me and just buy a yellow Goldwing? A yellow Goldwing has so much bright plastic it won’t matter much what color your gear is.

Last edited:
I have to chuckle about that couple in the article wearing gear with hi viz highlights, while their bike and everything else is black. Why didn’t they do like me and just buy a yellow Goldwing? A yellow Goldwing has so much bright plastic it won’t matter much what color your gear is.
In 2005 I bought the first new Cobalt SS Supercharged that showed up at the local dealer. Great car, loved the color!62669542.jpg

I too, observed that white helmets stood out more than grey or black.

I have another idea about white helmets (and why I think they're best); we (all drivers) recognize white helmets. Our subconscious mind spots them and labels "motorcycle rider" without even thinking about it, it's a programmed reaction.
White helmets have been around for what, 70 years?
And they do stand out from the backround IMO.

That Revzilla article is interesting but they lumped we "standard" riders in with the black-leather cruiser guys. I'm more a BMW/Goldwing/Triumph kind of guy.
2. The article only talked of that Hi-Viz yellow color, not white or others. I like White and don't especially care for HV yellow.

English videos show as many riders in black as here in the US and I wonder if anyone makes fun of these guys...2f62f0187aaf7940ed57e1ac6813d9db.jpg

I wear hi viz jackets. My helmet is silver (the color they had). Pants are either silver or black (again, the color they had).

I’m a firm believer in hi viz, but I’ve been called a “highlighter” several times. But I’m an uninjured highlighter [emoji16]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Are you playing Power Ranger, astronaut, fire fighter, that a snowmobile suit, "Hey Man - ain't it hot in there har har"? I've had all of these directed at me while wearing ATGATT.

Better to sweat some than endure weeks of skin grafts, that's what I say, or "Dress for the slide and not for the ride".

The next time you are watching tv or a movie, look at what motorcyclists in it are wearing.

Half the time they don't even wear a helmet! If they wear leathers, 90% of the time (I bet) it's black. It influences the masses, no doubt.
My local MC shop carries every helmet, but only in black, no hi-viz.

The only person I can recall who broke the trend was Uma Thurman in Kill Bill. Talk about hi-viz!

The next time you are watching tv or a movie, look at what motorcyclists in it are wearing.

Half the time they don't even wear a helmet! If they wear leathers, 90% of the time (I bet) it's black. It influences the masses, no doubt.

You're right about how motorcyclists are portrayed in movies and TV. Often the whole motorcycle riding thing is employed to make the character appear bad-a$$. Hence they need bad-a$$ clothing, too. The purpose of the (usually black) helmet, when used, is to make it much easier to hide the fact that the stunt double has taken the place of the regular actor.

Well, I’d rather endure a little ribbing than endure an ambulance ride. And I bet nobody notices how bada** ya look as the paramedics pick yer arse up off the road. But to each their own! I believe everyone should ride their own ride. No one put me in charge.:rolleyes:

Well I must live in a strange area?

EVERYONE here wears black. 90% don't wear helmets. Fewer wear armored jackets, to the tune of maybe 2%. Armored pants are even more rare.

I know that I am the oddball on the road wearing protective gear. In fact so odd that when I see anyone else wearing gear I actually notice it. My buddies are HD/cruiser guys. They wear leather vests, or t-shirts.

I know a couple that actually wear a helmet. I know 1 guy who wears a full face, most wear fashion pots or nothing at all. They don't know about Snell or ECE ratings, some have helmets that are not even DOT rated. I don't know anyone who actually looked into helmet/safety rating that found out that DOT has tests that a helmet must pass that are known to be fatal to humans.

A guy in my shooting club bought a Honda Shadow about a week ago, he actually bought a Joe Rocket "Atomic" riding jacket. I gave him an extra D30 armored back pad that I had sitting in my closet. I had upgraded a jacket from CE1 to CE2 and had the pad languishing in the closet on the top shelf, doing nothing. Figured that it was not self actualized on Issac Azmov's psychological scale so I gave it away to someone who is actually trying to be safe but didn't realize that the foam spine/back pad in his jacket was actually totally worthless. I explained some of the safety stuff, but stopped before his eyes glazed over. I think he understands that jeans shred upon impact with the asphalt but I don't think he will ever buy armored riding pants.

ABATE is both a blessing and a curse. It teaches new riders but fights for the right to kill yourself by wearing no safety gear at all.

Most of us here are in the GEEZER age brackets (I'm 58), or at least in the PARENT bracket. We realize we are mortal and we are not idiots. But we must realize we are the odd bunch on the road. Seriously how many times do you see a kid on a sport bike with his helmet strapped to the bike while he speeds down the roadway? If they even have a helmet, which is rare, then I see that more often than not.

FWIW, my jackets are mostly white. 1 has hi-viz. The other does not. Both jackets have reflective patches. My riding pants are black, 1 has reflective patches, the other does not. My helmet is dark grey/black with Red graphics on the right side, Green graphics on the left side; but it is still mostly a dark grey/black hemet. I have lots of extra lights on my bike for conspicuity.

Last edited:
Back