• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Bike for newbie

dbk23

Reaction score
Visit site
Hello Everyone:
I am 50 years old and am taking a riding course this spring to get my bike licence then I plan on getting my first bike. So I am looking for advice from senior riders. I love Honda so I have been looking at the Aero 750 for a first bike, but then I came across the NC700 line and liked the bikes. I was wondering would the NC700 SA or XA would be a good starter bike? does it have the power for 2 up riding? and how is it on the highway? does the wind shield offer good protection? as I will be doing both city and highway adventures. On the highway I will be with guys on cruisers mostly so I hope I can keep up easily. Thanks very much in advance, looking forward to the replies. Oh by the way I am 5ft 10" and weigh 225 lbs.

Thanks
Darren

Last edited:
Hi Darren & welcome to the forum,

I'm 51 now and took my motorcycle test last year, my NC700X is my first bike and I'm extremely pleased with it. I'm commuting 90 miles a day on it and getting 74mpg (UK gallons). Its a great bike to build up your experience and confidence.

The bike is a good all rounder, it's not a sports bike but it can be ridden quiet hard or you can cruise and eat away the miles.

I've never ridden two up so can't comment on that.

Various shields are available and there's plenty of info on the forum, just use the search box.

I'm very pleased with my choice of my first bike, even Bike Magazine (in the UK) voted it Bike of the Year 2012 :D

Last edited:
I opted for the manual to save some $$$ but love the bike. Good starter bike! However, I'm not looking to "graduate" to another bike either.

I am similar to you. I did ride in the past but about 20 years ago. I am 5"11 and 195 lbs. I got the DCT version and like the ability to go fully automatic or manual. As many others have said, this is a very good bike to get back into biking on or indeed start out on once you are big enough (which we are) to comfortable handle the bike weight. It is a great commuter and one that can be a lot of fun to ride.

Hi Darren,

I came to the NC700 from a Spirit 750. I'm 5'11' 220 pounds so we are of similar build.

1) For most of your questions above I would say that without a doubt the NC700 is going to be a better bike. I found that the 750 "struggled" at around 65mph (not sure what that is in Canadian). Maybe it was just mine, but my bike was very comfortable about 60 mph but any more than that and I felt like I was pushing it a bit more that it wanted to go. Maybe that shouldn't be the case, but it was true for me.
This is not the case on the 700X. The bike is more much comfortable and highway speeds, and I must say, significantly more stable, even given the fact that it is a taller bike. I found my 750 Spirit to be more easily tossed by the wind.

2) Two up riding is an option on both, but won't be exceptionally comfortable on either. Not to mention, that I wouldn't take anyone two-up until you're comfortable on the bike alone. It's a different beast with someone on the back. And you have to relearn some things.

3) The windscreen is mostly for looks. I get full exposure to the elements with the stock shield from my chest upward.. This is what I wanted when I bought the bike. I wear a full face helmet and it's much better when it's working in clean air. There are lots of options out there that can give you better protection though.

4) As I'm sure you can infer from #1, the NC is going to have an easier time keeping up with you cruiser friends, but won't give you the chance to rev your really loud pipes at stop lights.

When I bought my first bike, I wanted to be "cool." I wanted to be seen, I wanted to put on some persona that wasn't who I really was. Then I realized I wanted to be a motorcyclist. Someone who doesn't just ride on the weekends, but uses a bike for just about everything (groceries, meeting up with friends, cruising, commuting, and most importantly, having fun). I wanted something I could do all that with. And that is why I bought the NC700x. And I've loved every minute of it.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

My advice is to take the riding course and see how you do. If it goes well, and your confidence is high, then I would highly recommend either bike. If you don't do so good and have low confidence...buy a cheap used bike first! It's painful, in many ways, to drop or wreck a new bike!!!

I agree with all.i will add don't buy in the winter.it hurts to much to look at it sit.

I originally looked at the Shadow Aero 750, but it got sold before I was ready to buy. I then saw the NC and took it for a test ride and bought it. I got it before I got my endorsement, used it to practice the DMV course and then took the test. No problem. Oh, yeah, I'm 64 and this is my first bike in 38 years. I'm 5'9" and 185 with 30 inch inseam and have no trouble on the NC. Interesting side note: the same Shadow Aero showed back up at the dealers a couple weeks ago. Only 324 miles on it, but the owner didn't like it. I saw it sitting on the showroom floor and wasn't even tempted. Love the NC.

Hi Darren,
I am back to bikes after 40 years, I gave my car to my daughter and only have the NC700XD for transport. I took the MC course, well worth the effort. I bought a Honda Rebel to get my "sea legs" back, about 3 months later I bought the NC. Love the bike, it does everything: city, freeway, canyons, and this summer, adventure. It is recommended not to do 2 up for first 1 - 2 years on bike, I think that is wise. Haven't done it so can't comment on the NC's capabilities in that area. One thing for me, the cruisers seating position gives me back problems, the upright position of the NC is less stress for the back. Good luck with your new adventure with bikes!

Hello Darren,
Well I'm not a new rider or a reentry rider, Ive been at this continuously for just over 40 years now. You have gotten a lot of great advice here and I would like to throw my 2 cents in. This is a bike that would be a good starter bike for you (all though when I started a 500 was a good size bike and most people started on 125's), it's also something that you can have for years and not "out grow". I have had a lot of bikes over the years, but I keep migrating back the the UJM (Universal Japanese Motorcycle) standard style bike, and even though very stylized, this really is a standard style motorcycle. The reasons for my returning back to these bikes are practicality, comfort and overall day to day usefulness of the UJM. I have had the choppers, I have had the 150+ horsepower sport bikes and they are all fun. However cruiser bikes are never as conferable as you would think and if you don't have the loud pipes and you wear a full face helmet, the other cruiser riders look at you like you have a disease. Super bikes are super fun on a track without speed limits, cops, traffic and (in this area) blind seniors. A pair of leathers and worn out knee pucks are awesome, but on the street the power goes to waste unless your willing to risk not only your own life but also the others in traffic. I was a hooligan rider when I was young, back when the word was daredevil and I'm amazed I'm alive today because of it. Now, the track is the place to get an adrenaline fix and stand a good chance of surviving it. I gave up almost 100 horsepower and around 70 MPH top end in my trade to the NC, but I'm having so much fun riding that I don't miss it. It's much more fun to ride a slow bike fast than to try and ride a fast bike slow. You learn more, faster on a well rounded bike than you ever could on a bike that your can't use 70% of it's capability's, be it because of skill level or riding environment. The NC is one of those wonderful odd ball bikes that doesn't fit into a category mold, yet is just a great all rounder that, if you have read a lot of this forum, you'll discover it can be what you want it to be with a little imagination and willingness to modify from stock. So there is my...I guess way more than 2 cents, just find what you love to ride and then ride it safe.

Last edited:
Hello Darren,
Well I'm not a new rider or a reentry rider, Ive been at this continuously for just over 40 years now. You have gotten a lot of great advice here and I would like to throw my 2 cents in. This is a bike that would be a good starter bike for you (all though when I started a 500 was a good size bike and most people started on 125's), it's also something that you can have for years and not "out grow". I have had a lot of bikes over the years, but I keep migrating back the the UJM (Universal Japanese Motorcycle) standard style bike, and even though very stylized, this really is a standard style motorcycle. The reasons for my returning back to these bikes are practicality, comfort and overall day to day usefulness of the UJM. I have had the choppers, I have had the 150+ horsepower sport bikes and they are all fun. However cruiser bikes are never as conferable as you would think and if you don't have the loud pipes and you wear a full face helmet, the other cruiser riders look at you like you have a disease. Super bikes are super fun on a track without speed limits, cops, traffic and (in this area) blind seniors. A pair of leathers and worn out knee pucks are awesome, but on the street the power goes to waste unless your willing to risk not only your own life but also the others in traffic. I was a hooligan rider when I was young, back when the word was daredevil and I'm amazed I'm alive today because of it. Now, the track is the place to get an adrenaline fix and stand a good chance of surviving it. I gave up almost 100 horsepower and around 70 MPH top end in my trade to the NC, but I'm having so much fun riding that I don't miss it. It's much more fun to ride a slow bike fast than to try and ride a fast bike slow. You learn more, faster on a well rounded bike than you ever could on a bike that your can't use 70% of it's capability's, be it because of skill level or riding environment. The NC is one of those wonderful odd ball bikes that doesn't fit into a category mold, yet is just a great all rounder that, if you have read a lot of this forum, you'll discover it can be what you want it to be with a little imagination and willingness to modify from stock. So there is my...I guess way more than 2 cents, just find what you love to ride and then ride it safe.

That was about 50 cents worth, but very well spoken!

Hi Darren, last year decided to start motorcycling again after 40 years (was a sixties nutter) clutch control came back easily but apart from that was like a novice, would advise spending the majority of your early riding mastering the weight and balance at slow speeds, you probably have good road awareness allready and will just need to increase your observations for self preservation. It really is a lot to do with confidence as you build up the handling skill of the machine and review and criticise yourself inside your head, you know when it was sloppy and above all potentialy dangerous, but unlike learning to drive cars there is only yourself to do the criticising . I am enjoying this bike so much and can feel my confidence rising as my skill improves.Phil

Hi sir,
This is a good bike.

Is this for you? Only a test ride for 1 hour or more will tell you.

It is solidly built and have great consumption and handling.
It is good enough for 2 up riding and perfect for solo canyon carving.

Are there better bikes out there? You bet.
Only you and a test ride will tell.
Good luck!

Back