• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

better heat control

StratTuner

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Caution: the following mods are NOT for the style conscious.

Recently, I got a pair of Bikemaster Removable grip warmers. ($30 on Amazon)
bikemstrgrip.jpg

It seems better made than the $8 removable warmers I had been using. The 8$ variety don't last more than a couple months.

The BikeMaster Removable (BMR for short) are easy to install. They lace up to fit, and the feel is quite good to my hands. Their only problem is that they are HOT. I found myself lifting my hands, quite frequently, to dissipate excess heat.

There had to be some way to control the heat, so I went looking.

I found an article (wish I could find it again for reference here) where a rider used a PWM Dimming controller to fine tune heat.
heatdial.jpgPWM Dimming Controller For LED Lights or Ribbon, 12 Volt 8 Amp,Adjustable Brightness Light Switch Dimmer Controller DC12V 8A 96W for Led Strip Light By Zitrades

This device may be disassembled so that the dial may be mounted on an available surface and it's circuit board may be tucked in some out of the way place. Be careful, it's wiring is delicate. Don't stress it when handling it, and mount it so there is very little stress on the wires connecting the dial to the circuit board.

I chose the compartment under the "fake air vent" on the left side of the NC700x. I already have the wiring in there for heated grips / heated seat.

The chain of wiring goes like this:
  • battery
  • sae connector / battery tender cable (fused)
  • relay (turns the circuit off when the ignition is off)
  • PWM controller
  • on off switch
  • heated grips
I like using the SAE connectors. They're easy to work with.

The ON/OFF switch existed before the PWM controller, so I just left it in place. The PWM turns the circuit OFF on its own if you dial down to it's lowest setting.

I am out of space on my home made switch panel (picture below), so I mounted the PWM dialer just under my left hand for easy access during riding.

It's delightful to tame the heated grips. They now run at whatever heat setting feels best.
(Pictures below)

improvised switch panel
switches.jpg

Dial heat controller for BikeMaster Removable Grip Heaters.
(I could have used the unobtrusive dial on the PWM, but I opted for a Tone Control from a Stratocaster Guitar.)
tonedial.jpg

Last edited:
I have bikemasters on my NC, and Oxfords on my Guzzi. I find the bikemasters barely adequate, and would never consider throttling them. The oxfords on the other hand often require that I turn them off.

Sounds like BikeMaster has QC problems. My guess is they don't make most of the things they sell. Someone else makes them for the BikeMaster brand.
Yours were not what they should have been.

the point of the post was not to tout the BikeMaster stuff, but to show how a variable control might be added to ANY heat source, seat or grips, when needed. I hope someone will benefit from that.

Last edited:
Back