• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Best tyres for NC750X to use on AND off-road?

KaliBatmas

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi there ( this is my first post! :D )

I have been wondering about changing my standard OEM tyres on the NC750X to something a little more 'off-roadable'. Having been green-laning for a little while now, I have noticed that when it comes to mud (or even really wet grass), they're pretty useless... (lots of tyre spin, little traction)

I was wondering if anyone has had any good/bad experiences so far with tyre changes and could recommend anything?
I've already seen a few reviews that people have been using TKC 80 continental tyres but have not seen much talk about how good they actually are.

IMHO, the TKC80's work brilliantly on the pavement, wet or dry, and the sizes offered up for the NCX 17: rims seem to suit it well. I have nothing but praise for them in all off road conditions from gravel to thick mud, and yesterday, deep snow :D

Having said that, since I haven't tried a Kenda, or one of the other popular and seemingly well liked brands that some of the other folks here have, there is no certainty in my argument for the Twinduros, only my experience so far, which I am absolutely thrilled with.

Welcome to the forum :)

The TKC80 on the front is a good all-around tire which is a good thing since it is basically our only choice. It lasts a long time. Noise is increased over a pure street tire but isn’t too bad. Street handling is good. Turns well, stops well, etc. You can still drag pegs with it though you do get some squirm from it. I personally backed off a bit as compared to running street tires. Off-road it is good but not great. It is a big block pattern so not as good as a knobby you would run on a small bike.

On the rear you have more choices. TKC80 and Kenda Big Block are popular choices along with the Heidenau K60. There is also the Mitas E07 and I ran the Pirelli Scorpion Rally. There are other choices too.
The TKC80 and Kenda are basically the same design. The Kenda tends to last longer than the TKC80. I wouldn’t expect more than 2-3k US miles out of the TKC80. OldCanRide has gotten I believe it was 5k+ US miles on the Kenda. The Mitas is fairly new to the U.S. so no one to my knowledge has run it on the NC. Reports from other big bikes are generally good. The Pirelli Scorpion Rally I ran did OK on the street. It is loud. The design is more of a paddle tire which would do well in sand and never clogged up in mud. If you like to power slide the rear it is good but for me it felt skittish and unpredictable on my local large aggregate gravel roads. The K60 is also a popular choice. Long lasting tire. The size for the NC has a solid strip of rubber down the middle which some people feels it hinders the off-road ability and can make it slide a bit in the rain but on the other hand other people love them.

None of the 80/20 (on road/off road) tires are going to do well in wet off-road conditions. They can be fine in dry off-road conditions and are great on-road tires. The more off-road oriented the tire the louder it will be and it just isn’t as good on-road.

conti tkc80, no question. Just tested them in Morocco on and off-road - fantastic tyres.

There is no question the TKC is the standard for more off road ...............With a "slight" more compromise towards road vs off road you can not over look the Shinko 705. Shopping around they can be found in NC sizes front and rear.

Some rate the 705's at 80/20 street vs off-road after running them for 400 miles I would say a fair rating should be 70/30 or maybe 75/25. Compared to Distanzia which are a solid 80/20 tire.

Agreed, the TKC80 tire might be the "Best". BUT, the Shinko 705's are the best for the money in my opinion. I've been running the 705's for a while now. Just replaced the rear tire after about 9k miles. They are cheap, they last relatively long miles and they are pretty good off road.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

If your not looking for a blocky tread pattern consider the Continental Trail Attacks. Very smooth on tarmac but capable off road.

attachment.php

Last edited:
You might consider the new TKC 70'S. They look like a good tread design although I don't have experience with them (yet). I'm running Shinko 705's and they do a good job off and on road.

I got 17,000 miles out of my Heidenau K60 Scout , great tire .....not so much on slick surfaces

It withstood being plugged twice and also imbedded with a 2 inch piece of wire

Back