• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Best Polycarbonate Windshield

What about the quality of the Madstad after some years?

Perhaps yours was a rhetorical question, but I'll answer it anyway. My NC700X Madstad is probably getting close to 5 years old. No problems have been encountered with scratches or clarity. Success may depend on the chemical and cloth used to clean it. I use only water or plastic polish (Plexus or Honda polish) and microfiber cloth. The screen will probably last as long as I'll care to own the bike, which is likely a long time.

Last edited:
I have the 2008. I also have the 2007 and 2009 screens so I have tried them all. For reference I am 5'8" and 30" inseam. The short screen puts a lot of turbulence and noise at about nose level. With the 2008 and 2009 I have less noise and turbulence but they are still there. The 2008 and 2009 seem about the same. I added an MRA X screen spoiler (the larger touring one) to the 2008. . It doesn't look the best but it works really good. I have very little noise and no turbulence. It gives me a very nice air pocket. I have tried the stock screen, an MRA Vario screen, a V strom screen, the ermax, both with and without a palmer bracker, the Honda tall touring screen, and an MRA vario that was on my old vstrom. I have experimented with various spacers and different angles. The 2008/MRA combo is far and away the best.
Thanks Lee for this valuable information. Still hesitate between this option and the Madstad 18" or 20". 18" is recommended for my 5'-10", 32" inseam but many have opted for the 20". For appearance, I prefer the VStream but adjustability of the Madstad is a big +. Does your line of sight is above with your 20008/MRA combo? I also have to dig on this site to see if there is any clearance issue with my Barkbuster Storm handguards with both options.

Perhaps yours was a rhetorical question, but I'll answer it anyway. My NC700X Madstad is probably getting close to 5 years old. No problems have been encountered with scratches or clarity. Success may depend on the chemical and cloth used to clean it. I use only water or plastic polish (Plexus or Honda polish) and microfiber cloth. The screen will probably last as long as I'll care to own the bike, which is likely a long time.
Thanks for the info. I never used any chemical to clean a windscreen and never will.

With the 2008/MRA Combo I am looking over the the windscreen. You can adjust the MRA height and angle to suit. I have it set so I am comfortably looking over it also. I can also look over the 2009 but just barely. I currently have a couple spacer under the lower mount to tilt the screen a little farther back. Basically because I think it looks better. I will be testing that out when I get time.

I see handguards in the picture; are these Barkbuster Storm? Do they interfere with the VStream?

They are barkbusters. They do not interfere but I do have Rox risers set pull the bars back towards me. (I have short arms)

I removed my stock wind screen today to reduce noise & it helped a lot. Clean air hit my upper chest & it was 90 degrees so I didn't mind. Before I was getting turbulence at the bottom of my helmet & sometimes it was loud enough I had to slow down, depending on which direction the wind was blowing. I'll have to see how I like that much wind after 2-3 hours, might change my mind. Also made a few mods to my helmet that may reduce noise. I'll just leave the screen off until winter & then shop for a tall one. Went the same route on my last bike after a few screens. No screen & tall screen.

I removed my stock wind screen today to reduce noise & it helped a lot. Clean air hit my upper chest & it was 90 degrees so I didn't mind. Before I was getting turbulence at the bottom of my helmet & sometimes it was loud enough I had to slow down, depending on which direction the wind was blowing. I'll have to see how I like that much wind after 2-3 hours, might change my mind. Also made a few mods to my helmet that may reduce noise. I'll just leave the screen off until winter & then shop for a tall one. Went the same route on my last bike after a few screens. No screen & tall screen.

I do prefer clean air! I cut my stock screen down to just cover the digital speedo panel. I can’t remember if it’s necessary, but definitely recommended to have something covering it to protect it from flying objects (rocks, big bugs, etc...). Can’t remember where I read this, but maybe someone else can chime in about it and offer more input.

Finally have the ultimate solution to block wind. I purchased a 22" Madstad and then clamped on a MRA X-Creen spoiler blade. Yes, you have to look through the x-creen spoiler blade but who cares. I have zero wind hitting my helmet going 75 mph. It's almost like I'm enjoying my bike again in a new way. I never was really able to listen to music because of the wind noise; now I have to turn the volume down to normal because it is virtually silent in the helmet. I always had to have my visor fully down on the interstate; now I can just put my helmet sun-shield flap down....which isn't necessary but for eye and sun protection. It has really been an amazing addition that has proven to solve such a chronic problem, one that I've been trying to solve for 3 yrs.

I know there are others who think they have to deal with the wind noise. You don't have to just "deal with it!". For awhile, I was like, well I may have to buy a new bike that is built to block wind, like a cruiser or something bulky and lower to the ground. Wrong, this solution, while a bit odd looking, makes my NC700 the absolute perfect bike now. Great on fuel, light, agile, convenient storage, great power, and NOW....finally, zero wind noise at any speed. You'll be hard pressed to come up with another bike with all of those attributes.

Regarding the 22" Madstad and the MRA X-Creen. They are the perfect solution because BOTH can be adjusted and tilted. You may be able to put the X-Creen on a big Puig or another big "base" windscreen, but you may not get the best results UNLESS you can tilt the "base" windscreen. I'm not sure because I've not tested other combinations. I'm not pushing either brands; I'm just thrilled to find this solution. It really has made me enjoy my bike so much more than I was already.
IMG_0080.jpg

Back