• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Best economical rear tire for mostly on road use?

I wonder how much correctly aligning the rear effects rear tire mileage.

I seldom get more than 6-7 k out of PR4s. I do change the rear as soon as it hits the wear bars. I also like a fresh tire to start the ride season.

I've had the same experience with the PR4s. I just switched to T30s. Very nice. A bit slower handling than the PR4 but very stable. I have an aviation background and to me the T30 is like coordinated flight, when the tail and wings are trying to do the same thing. The T30s feel like both wheels are working together. Can't say enough good about them. Could also be I bought a balance stand and did my own balance. A shop is unlikely to spend that extra 15 to 20 minutes a wheel to get a perfect balance.

The OP asked about economy. I don't think this is reflected in price alone but cost per km combined with performance. Tricky question to answer. Tires is one place I don't think you should cheap out on. If you can't afford good tires don't ride. It could cost you your life.

Given the confidence the PR4s inspire, especially on wet roads, I just can’t go with different tires even if saving a few $$

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I have good experience/results changing dirt bike knobbies on wire spoke wheels. But a little afraid of our cast wheels so been using a bike shop. Pricey at $50 (carry-in) a pop for tires that don't last long for me (I get 4000 miles on rears and 8000 on front due to squaring - plenty of side rubber left for my less aggressive old fart riding style). Plus going there and standing around - might as well do it meself!
Can I do this? Don't want to invest in a pricey changer.
Will two tires spoons like these:

2x Spoon Type Tire Lever Iron set of 2 Hand Tool for Motorcycle Bicycle ATV 10'' | eBay

work and not damage the rim? Will milk jug plastic work ok to protect?
Will a c-clamp break the bead ok?
Is the harbor freight motorcycle changer
($32 with 20% off coupon) worth it? Do you have to buy the base unit?
What goop is needed to seat the beads? Will liquid dishwashing soap suffice?
Does the balancing really require more than a level shaft and patience?
Thanks in advance.
Jimbo

My own personal experience is the Bridgestone Battax BT 023 sports touring tire. Have used them on all my sport and touring bikes and had good tire life and good handling. Payed $305 for front and rear at cycle gear Just my 2 cents!

Last edited:

2x Spoon Type Tire Lever Iron set of 2 Hand Tool for Motorcycle Bicycle ATV 10'' | eBay

Thanks in advance.
Jimbo
With your two spoons you'll need a couple rim protectors; they're harder plastic than jugs so I'd go with the real things. The problem with C-clamps is that they can slide down the tire & ding up the rims (ask me how I know). There's a wooden lever system that might work better. I used soap or windex. I also use the Marc Parnes balancer-but that's an expensive solution..

I have good experience/results changing dirt bike knobbies on wire spoke wheels. But a little afraid of our cast wheels so been using a bike shop. Pricey at $50 (carry-in) a pop for tires that don't last long for me (I get 4000 miles on rears and 8000 on front due to squaring - plenty of side rubber left for my less aggressive old fart riding style). Plus going there and standing around - might as well do it meself!

Thanks in advance.
Jimbo

I tried using the motion pro fancy spoon set Motion Pro BeadPro Forged Steel Tire Bead Breaker | 10% ($5.50) Off! - RevZilla to break the bead on my front BT023. I got it done but it was not pleasant. Sweating, cursing, scuffing rim etc. Much more difficult than describe on the Motocycle Garage How To Change & Balance Your Own Motorcycle Tires | MC GARAGE - YouTubeOn my last change doing the rear I used the Harbor Freight changer just to break the bead. I used a 25% off coupon(may appear for labor day) and thought it was worked well. Had trouble seating the bead on the new PR4. Got it done with a bigger compressor but have added some RuGlyde https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/BK_7651338 to use as lube for next time. Now that I have a gallon i'm lubing all my rubber parts on the car...

I'm stubborn(ask my spouse) and like a challenge. I think investing in some tools saving $50 a tire will quickly recover your costs. The best I have seen is the full Harbor Freight changer with the Mojo blocks and lever.

Back to your question. The spoons may work if you can get the bead broken. May want a third spoon which helps with smaller bites. Like others have mentioned some good rim protectors are a good idea. A proper lube I think is under rated. i have tried soapy water and windex and think a good lube really helps the re re of the tire.

Good luck :)

My own personal experience is the Bridgestone Battax BT 023 sports touring tire. Have used them on all my sport and touring bikes and had good tire life and good handling. Payed $305 for front and rear at cycle gear Just my 2 cents!

+1 - I currently have these BT 023 tires front and back with 17000 kms so far. I’ll run them a little longer before replaceing.

Thanks in advance.
Jimbo

IMO
Did not want to spend the money on more tools to store. Sooo.....mounted a block on the wall and used 2x4s to break bead. (note to self. Don't forget to break both beads!).
Needed proper rim protectors for sure. Minimum 3.
Need to have longer tire tools, especially if older, like me. More leverage. Minimum of three!
Have used Windex and dish soap. Windex is easier with spray but evaporates fast. Soap not so much. Maybe I am just slow these days.
I did one by myself and dang it was hard. The other 5 I did with son helping. (or the other way around!) It is still HARD.
The PR4s supposedly have harder center compound to help life of center of tire.
Also remember if you are a "downshifter" you are burning the rear off by "skidding" each time. Even my DCT does it in sport mode. I guess it is just a bike thing.....

One more for the Shinko 009.

The rear on my Ninja lasted 13,000 miles. Never replaced the front and sold it with 19,000 on that tire...

In my own opinion, tires are not where to cut corners on when it comes to motorcycles. In a car, it is less of an issue - there's 4 of them. Personally, I want the best I can afford on the bike. So far, I have really enjoyed the feel I get with the Michelin Pilot Road series (I have had the 4's, but will be getting the 5's on my changes since the 4 was discontinued for out size.) Wet or dry, they have always felt really good to me, and have gotten decent mileage. Remember, the tires are the only safety equipment that actually touch the road.

In my own opinion, tires are not where to cut corners on when it comes to motorcycles. In a car, it is less of an issue - there's 4 of them. Personally, I want the best I can afford on the bike. So far, I have really enjoyed the feel I get with the Michelin Pilot Road series (I have had the 4's, but will be getting the 5's on my changes since the 4 was discontinued for out size.) Wet or dry, they have always felt really good to me, and have gotten decent mileage. Remember, the tires are the only safety equipment that actually touch the road.
I agree with the motorcycle part but I'd add the car tires are more important then you make it sound.
I've had great vehicles drive like crap because of cheap tires and I've had crap cars handle better then you'd expect on because of having good tires.
Apparently the regulations on tires are lax, I've had egg shaped tires tires that are so unbalanced you couldn't fit enough weights to make it work.
I don't buy the best tires I can for my cars or trucks but I avoid cheap crap also

My OEM Bridgestones were replaced at 15K miles. Could have gone a bit more, but the wear bars were gone. Never liked the front tire, brake locked easily with moisture on the road. Replaced with Shinkos which I hate with a passion because of noise. Considered replacing them mile one but was too cheap. At my current annual mileage, I'm stuck with them for several more years. I'll probably spring for Michelins next.

I agree with the motorcycle part but I'd add the car tires are more important then you make it sound.
I've had great vehicles drive like crap because of cheap tires and I've had crap cars handle better then you'd expect on because of having good tires.
Apparently the regulations on tires are lax, I've had egg shaped tires tires that are so unbalanced you couldn't fit enough weights to make it work.
I don't buy the best tires I can for my cars or trucks but I avoid cheap crap also

I dndt mean to downplay that car tires done make as much of a difference, it's just that it is much safer and easier to stop a car if a tire goes flat, than a bike.

I run top of the line Michelin All-weather on my car. Again, they are the only piece of safety gear that touches the road.

Back