• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Best 50/50 tires, what do you like and why

Willie

Reaction score
Visit site
Time to start thinking about new tires for my NC, I do quite a bit of exploring around Minnesota and would like to go with a 50/50 tire setup, what do you guys like and why? My original tires are at just over 4,000 miles, and off road traction is poor. Good wear characteristics is a real plus.
Thanks for your replys.

Sorry for this, I know you'll not like it, but you have to start from here: https://www.nc700-forum.com/forum/tire-tech-talk/
I had similar questions and what I actually learned is: the tires are (generally) personal preferences and there is no right of wrong.
I trust this guy, FortNine and his "opinion", this is where I also started: YouTube
Since I'm planing to "explore (gravel roads of) Iowa", my plan is to buy Shinko 705. Sadly, they don't last long, so if I don't like them, next time I'm gonna order something else. I would like to buy Heidenau K60 but they are expensive, I can buy 2-3 sets of Shinko.
And, additional note, what I learned from the guys I trust on this forum, "regular" street tires can do some basic off-road/gravel road just fine. In my case it's Michelin PR4.

Hope this can help you anyway... ;)

Last edited:
I run a Continental TKC-80 on the front and Shinko 805 on the back. They both have excellent manners on the road. Offroad the Shinko needs some grooving to improve it's lateral grip in mud and loose conditions, but is otherwise pretty good. The TKC-80 does as well as can be expected for a 17" front but wears funny if you drop the pressure.

If you hit snow or slush on the road the TKC grips OK but the 805 is scarry.

There are arguments for other rear tires but the Shinko is the obvious value winner for me. There is nothing else out there in our size that can touch the TKC-80 on the front.

A 50/50 tire is a tall order............your asking for equality on road and off. The question then-is equally good or equally poor.

In the tire compromise evaluation it is far easier to grade tires in 80/20 or 70/30 splits.

I can give you more opinion but I think you should trust the staff at Fortnine more than some guy on the internet with limited experience in what he is talking about (myself). I went with grip over millage as a newer rider, and figured I could switch to higher mileage tires after the first set wore out. On soupy sloppy "roads" I don't like the idea of less grip than what I have, and I like their road manners, so I will keep buying the tires I am running until I either move or something better comes out.

Here is what Ryan at Fortnine has to say about ADV and Dualsport tires: Best Adventure and Dual-Sport Tires | FortNine

Figure out your priorities and where you can compromise.

Last edited:
Back