• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Battery failure

Batteries don't like dropping below a certain level. If you don't keep them charged, whether riding or on the tender, they can fail prematurely.

Well, I guess mine went dead today. At least I'm guessing that is what happened. Tried to go for a ride and when I turned the key, nothing lit up on the display, and nothing happened when I pushed the starter button, not even a whirr. Nearly 1 year to the day since I bought it. Went for a ride on Monday and everything was OK. Didn't put it back on the battery tender since I thought I would ride again later in the week. I have not been diligent with the battery tender if I was going to ride a couple times a week, but I guess I should have been. Is one year about the average life for a motorcycle battery? It seems the one in my 1970 CL 175 lasted the entire time I owned the bike, three and a half years, back in the 70's.

Errr.. did you check to make sure you weren't in gear with the side stand down... (don't ask me how I know) Fuzzy... don't say a word! LOL

smileyshock.jpg

****UPDATE****

Oh.. missed the part of your post that the display didn't light up... so that's probably not the issue.. my display lit up when I had my ...err um problem.

Maybe check the kill switch is in the off position? Not sure if the display would light up or not if it's in the off position.

Last edited:
Well, I guess mine went dead today. At least I'm guessing that is what happened. Tried to go for a ride and when I turned the key, nothing lit up on the display, and nothing happened when I pushed the starter button, not even a whirr. Nearly 1 year to the day since I bought it. Went for a ride on Monday and everything was OK. Didn't put it back on the battery tender since I thought I would ride again later in the week. I have not been diligent with the battery tender if I was going to ride a couple times a week, but I guess I should have been. Is one year about the average life for a motorcycle battery? It seems the one in my 1970 CL 175 lasted the entire time I owned the bike, three and a half years, back in the 70's.

I don't think it is typical. Some die early. You especially hear about some well-treated Yuasas dying early in new bikes. It could be how they are treated in the supply chain. As far as missing the charger at times when you are riding regularly, that should not have been a factor. Don't attribute to bad practice something that is just a bad part. You might forever adjust your habits unnecessarily (or stay paranoid about failure) when it was only the luck of the draw, or manufacturer / dealer / supplier issues. You will find early failures among both battery maintainers and battery ignorers. If you are a battery maintainer, the battery ignorers will chime in to tell that theirs has not failed because they do not use chargers - even over winter. If you are a battery ignorer, the battery maintainers will chime in to tell that theirs has not failed because they hook the charger up every time before they even take their helmet off.

This is clearly an abnormal failure. Unless you abused the battery by leaving accessories on and draining it to zero, a failure at one year is just a bad part. Since it went from working to not working instantly, it must have opened an internal connection.

Normal Yuasa life runs 5-10 years if well maintained, with some outliers on either extreme. Yours did not die of natural causes.

Be sure to rule out other causes of no power, such as an open fuse, or bad battery terminal or bike ground connection.

Greg

Last edited:
Another failure

Same thing here. Went out yesterday for a ride and the display was dead. Jumped the bike and it started right up. The hitch was it would not run when jumper disconnected. Display would flash, run rough and throw the low voltage FI code, then die.
Hooked trickle charger up and it showed the battery was charged. Pulled the battery and went all over town, even Walmart and finally found something that would fit at Napa, but the CCA are about half the Yuasa rating. Fired right up, checked the charging volts and the battery volts and it all checked out okay. Seems like another battery failure. I left on the trickle charger for now. Would like to get back to the rated CCA for winter coming. It seems the size is small.
Any recommendations?
Thanks everybody.

PS: 11 months old 4500 miles.

The solution to keeping your battery up and running is simple. Ride

I agree, but 4500 for me is almost double previous bikes for me. I can't commute on it (company truck), I don't get more than long weekends for days off and I mow 3 acres twice a week for lawn. I missed a 300 mile trip yesterday dinking with the battery.
I have one more long trip (1200 miles) planned for the season and then it is just short trips for the winter.
I am working on a solution to the more riding conundrum.

I have a Shori batt in my my wifes GS500 and it can sit up to a year with full charge!.YES it cost's alot of $$$, but if you don't ride much it might be worth it!!.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back