• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Barkbusters with a Madstad windshield???

melensdad

Reaction score
Visit site
Thinking of adding some Barkbusters to both bikes (my '18 NC750x and my wife's '16 NC700x).

Both bikes have Madstad touring windshields with the lower winglets. Has anyone successfully installed Barkbusters on a bike equipped with a Madstad windscreen? Or some other brand of hand guard with a Madstad windscreen? Does the windscreen have to be altered? Or do they just fit?

Many aluminum-frame guards are equivalent. I actually like my Tusk guards better than my Barkbusters. I don't think they did anything special for the NC fit other than maybe printing a instruction sheet that mentions the NC ; }

Also liked my Moose guards, wish I would have kept them instead of leaving them on the bike I sold. Both were cheaper and tougher. I've seen other reputable brands that were good too. Main thing is to look for is offset mounting hardware for the inner bar (often available optionally) so that you have several ways to clear cables and wires while still getting the bar and cup where you like it in terms of rotation.

Seems to me peeps here have the handquards with Madstad. Risers that bring the bars back as well as up will help. Too bad the NC doesn't have a wider area available for windscreen, even then. Seems like width makes a big difference, especially when not heading straight into the wind.

I have the Madstad with winglets, and the big hand guards from Cycle Gear. However, with 3.2 inches of handlebar riser, there is definitely no interference.

But, on the subject of winglets and hanguards, I finally isolated the cause of my frustrating noisy air turbulence felt with the Madstad. It seems the combination of Madstad and hand guards, along with the rear view mirrors, really messes up the air flow coming in from the sides. So now I take the hand guard plastics off in the summer to get a quieter ride, but leaving the metal guard frame bar in place.

On my Barkbuster Storms I turned the plastic upside down. That helped for a cleaner airflow and when it's a bit cooler keeps my fingertips just a tad warmer. If someone's set on the Barkbuster brand I'd say get the Jet or VPS plastic. If it's colder the Storm doesn't make enough difference anyway.

On my Barkbuster Storms I turned the plastic upside down. That helped for a cleaner airflow and when it's a bit cooler keeps my fingertips just a tad warmer. If someone's set on the Barkbuster brand I'd say get the Jet or VPS plastic. If it's colder the Storm doesn't make enough difference anyway.
I have a 2015 700x (manual) and a Madstad with Barkbuster VPS. After seeing in several posts that there was a lack of interference, I was hopeful that the installation of my Madstad would be issue free, but I could not achieve full lock to the left. As Greenboy referenced, the directions were not too specific, and though they did specifically mention a 700x, the photos seemed stock and the mounting hardware I received was not the same pictured by instructions.... maybe that was the issue‍♂️
Anyways, I went with an inexpensive riser off Amazon - lots of sellers offering the seemingly same product, but I will include a link to the one that I purchased from.
At this point, clearance issues have been rectified, And I wish I would have bought the riser immediately. As it was, I fussed with the other controls on my handlebars for quite a bit trying to get the right configuration so that I could achieve full lock without any luck.
I also think that I recall a thread, perhaps Dduelin (?)- , mentioning having to trim the sides of his Madstad in an effort to achieve full lock
Happy camper now

Check this out: Acouto CNC Adjustable Motorcycle Riser Lifting Handlebar Clamp F... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07MKFGCYY/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_awdb_t1_7ASZEbS4YW2QH

Thinking of adding some Barkbusters to both bikes (my '18 NC750x and my wife's '16 NC700x).

Both bikes have Madstad touring windshields with the lower winglets. Has anyone successfully installed Barkbusters on a bike equipped with a Madstad windscreen? Or some other brand of hand guard with a Madstad windscreen? Does the windscreen have to be altered? Or do they just fit?
I have a 2013 nc700xd. I have both a Madstad and Barkbusters Storm hand guards. There is some windscreen deflection in both directions at full lock. However, you still can turn the handle bars to full lock. I had to be creative with the Barkbuster mounting hardware and right side brake hardware so I could rotate them slightly downwards. This was to allow easier braking while standing and minimizing Interference to around 1/4 inch in each direction.

Were you able to use the stock cables or did you have to change cables when you installed the risers?
Were you able to use the stock cables or did you have to change cables when you installed the risers?
Manual transmission 2015 allowed for just enough slack at all the lines using those risers. I was at the absolute limit of what I was comfortable with as far is the brake lines go however, and it took some easy coaxing,
As mentioned above I was able to achieve full lock, but my handle bars definitely were pushing on the windscreen And the edge of the screen was scraping up the bark busters. I don't particularly care about the blemishes, but I don't think over time it's good for the windscreen. I've been enjoying messing around with moto gymkhana style riding in some of the abandoned parking lots over the last couple of months, and full lock is something that I find myself dropping into repeatedly .20200527_215143.jpg20200527_215131.jpg

Yeah the eBay up-and-back risers I got so long ago were very affordable, cleanly designed and implemented, black anodized. No need to mess around to keep them from slipping, small and light, and the extension provided was just right to use up all the cable and wire slack.

Also, some of the companies that make aluminum-spine handguards have better mounting hardware that clears the cable/wire/break line at more rotational angles so you don't have to get too crazy. Right now on one side I have the open C area facing up, and the other down, which is what it took to get the bars and everything else how I like it for both sit-down and stand-up riding.

Also, some of the companies that make aluminum-spine handguards have better mounting hardware that clears the cable/wire/break line at more rotational angles so you don't have to get too crazy. Right now on one side I have the open C area facing up, and the other down, which is what it took to get the bars and everything else how I like it for both sit-down and stand-up riding.
Mine are the same, different orientation on each side

The Moose hardware was primo and the finish was a lot nicer too. The plastic shape and quality was better too. Kicked myself when I realized I should have kept them when I sold the XT225 ; }

OK great thanks!

So it looks like I can get this riser from Amazon, use my existing cables, and get just enough offset to make sure I clear the Madstad windscreen with a set of Barkbusters.

Riser link: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07WD4LNPB/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A2MDRFBAT88MJT&psc=1

I'm looking at the Barkbuster for a couple reasons. First they have a model that is specific to the fit the NC7 series bikes. Second I am really looking for somewhere to mount a set of aux lights more than to wear plastic handguards. I'll likely buy the VPS system because I'm looking for minimal plastic. Mount a set of LED turn/running lights on the face of it. I simply want to be seen when I ride in traffic and most of us on 2 wheels get killed when a car turns into us across traffic. Lights add visibility. So my goal is not to protect my hands from errant tree branches, but rather to give me a platform to mount a couple lights.

Barkbusters offer a flat mounting surface for the LED.

I like Hepco & Becker but the design is tubular, which makes mounting LEDs a pain in the rear.

Tusk seems to offer a universal fit item.

Givi seems to offer a piece of junk hand guard that people complain about.

Last edited:
So it looks like I can get this riser from Amazon
nZtPCcRq_400x400.jpg

I'm looking at the Barkbuster for a couple reasons. First they have a model that is specific to the fit the NC7 series bikes.
Like I said before, and as an owner, as near as I can tell all they did was mention the NC in their instructions, mainly on how to get the bar end weights off if I recall... which may be worth the markup since they are a pain in the keister ; } ...But in a way I also feel like I was suckered by the company.

Tusk seems to offer a universal fit item.
With very solid mounting. As do many many others. To fit many handlebar bends/shapes. Which is GOOD, because that means they'll likely be able to fit just about everything vaguely meant for dualsport, dirt, or adventure. And without the Touratech/BMW-type markup ; }

OK, I'm done with the grief bomb now, melensdad. Important thing is to get that stuff, right? ; }

Last edited by a moderator:

I'm late to the party but I did have Barkbuster Storms with 2015 and later Madstad. When I built the bike the handguards did contact the lower corners of the Madstad. I trimmed 1" off the lower "projections" of the windshield and got on with life. A couple of years later I installed a set of 30 mm risers with 20 mm of set-back. With these risers moving the bars up and back the windshield would not have required trimming.

2014 NC700XDE Madstad 18" windscreen, Barkbuster handguards, I think VSPs or something like that, 2" ROX risers. 29000 miles and it all fits and works together just fine. Love the bike and my only complaint is that it's underpowered. Nothing to be done about that except enjoy it for what it is.

Back