• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Bar end removal

bikemiser

Reaction score
Visit site
Is the bar end weight easily removed on a NC750X. The reason I ask I remember years ago removing a bar end weight on a Suzuki that was stuck inside and was very hard to break loose. I'm thinking of installing a Kaoko throttle lock. Thanks Jim

1. The bar end was, for me, very easy to remove. Use the "sharpest" Philips head screwdriver that you can find, or a JIS driver if you have one. Place the driver on the end and give it a few taps with a mallet or hammer first to break up the threadlocker.

Another tip is that you need to grasp the weight when you turn, not the grip or handle.

2. I have the Kaoko lock and I love it. Highly recommended; it is worth the relatively high price over other options out there.

A pro tip: You have to remove both the outer bar end weight (#10 on the parts diagram) and the inner weight that the bolt threads into ("WEIGHT B", #9 on the parts diagram). It just floats inside the handle, held in with two rubber spacers and bent metal tabs.

The Kaoko instructions show you do this by grasping two tiny tabs with needle nose pliers and pulling that weight out, but in reality that is nearly impossible. (I broke off a tab trying to do it).

Instead, I removed the switch cluster (#4 on the following diagram) and loosened up the throttle tube housing (#10/11) and slid the whole throttle grip up on the bars. This exposes the two tabs that lock in, which can be easily pushed in with a small flathead screwdriver/punch/etc. This makes the whole process much less painful. Just be careful not to scratch the handlebars when sliding around the various controls.

I can try to find photos of the install to post, if that would be helpful.

PS - not trying to promote MotoSport, just thought it would be more useful to have the zoomable fiche with part #'s for reference.

Last edited:
Photos!

Here is the inner weight that needs to be removed. After you remove the external bar-end weight, put the bolt back in to use as something to grip. Note the EVIL red threadlocker there. (The throttle lock comes with new bolts, and I highly recommend replacing these with hex-key ends and BLUE threadlocker).

IMG_1784.jpg

Another view with the inner weight slid all the way out. You can simultaneously grab the bolt with some pliers and press into the two holes in the bar tube to get it to unlatch. Note the run/stop cluster dangling down, and the throttle tube loosened and pulled back:

IMG_1786.jpg

And finally the throttle lock going in. It's just friction fit. I found that exactly one wrap of the included copper foil resulted in a perfect snug fit. The design is clever in that the split end will wedge apart as you tighten down the bolt. If you do give it a tap with a mallet to encourage it to go in, make sure to cover with a cloth to prevent any dents/marks.

Don't forget the small plastic spacer (the part here labeled TH-TW D103). This helps provide additional friction against the plastic throttle tube.

IMG_1790.jpg

Good luck with the installation!!

Attachments

• IMG_1785.jpg
    IMG_1785.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 13
On the first photo inside the hole is where the retaining clip hooks in. On my first removal I broke this clip. On subsequent removals I have depressed the hooks while pulling to prevent damaging the clip. Good luck with you project.

It sounds like others had an easier time getting theirs out than I did. Mine came out so hard the rubber piece near the end came off the weight when I was pulling out. Unfortunately, too far into the bar to be able to recover it. Fortunately, you can buy just the rubber pieces for a couple of bucks off Revzilla so I don't have to buy a whole new bar weight come spring when I take my hand guards off.

Previous bike had a lot of red thread locker and the clips. I destroyed the clips and
had to re-order.
Thanks for the tip , loosening and moving the throttle to get to the pin release.

I installed the KAOKO HND100 I bought from Twisted Throttle yesterday, I too had to take the switch housing and throttle off to get the bar weight out. A pain in the rear and I destroyed the internal weight doing it. But worth all the trouble, I like the KAOKO very much. I had it on my 2016 Versys 1000LT too. Great product. Also I do not notice any vibration in the bars that wasn't there before.

If I remember I will do a picture tutorial about this. The finger tips were a bit cold at 46F this morning. Almost time to put the Winter guards on.

Back